Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

acehighinfinity
Apprentice

Creation vs Evolution

Post #1

Post by acehighinfinity »

Hey yall,

I watched the debate video on Ken Ham vs Bill Nye. Observational Science vs The Holy Bible - creationist. Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04S0fYU7FI

I have numbered some of them for Science (evolution) a. and b. for Creation/Holy Bible. I do have a lot of questions here, and if you don't mind answering them that would be great:

1.a - How did consciousness(mind) come from 'Matter'? Bill Nye and many scientist are unable to answer this.
1.b - Genesis 1:27 "So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them." and Genesis 3:21-24 "The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.�
- Man was cursed with the knowledge of Good and Evil (consciousness/mind).

2.a - What scientific evidence support do you have for the Age Of Earth? 4.5 Billion years old (Earth/Universe).
2.b - The holy bible works out to 6000-10000yrs for the age of Earth.

3. - How did the Atom before the Big Bang get there? We know the Big Bang is only a theory.

4.a - How were dinosaurs killed? There are two theories for Science; meteorite and disease.
4.b - Genesis 6:7-8 " So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them..."
- A global flood is the very cause.

5. If Science believes homo-sapiens existed an estimate of 200,000yrs ago and Earth is around 4.5 Billions years old. - Why is there a long period (massive gap) of years between Earth and homo-sapiens?

6. Is the moon in its correct place as we see it today if 4.5 Billion years was true? According to the moon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon. "The Moon's linear distance from Earth is currently increasing at a rate of 3.82±0.07 cm per year, but this rate is not constant"
- Why do they say the moon is moving away from Earth but its not constant? Does the moon have a start and stop button? The calculation does not add up.
Last edited by acehighinfinity on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jashwell
Guru

Post #11

Post by Jashwell »

You're in luck

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... wunQPl_vh4

4.4 bln year old crystal.

(@[2a])

smalltownatheist
Student

Re: Creation vs Evolution

Post #12

Post by smalltownatheist »

acehighinfinity wrote: I watched the debate video on Ken Ham vs Bill Nye. Observational Science vs The Holy Bible - creationist. Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04S0fYU7FI
My video review of it is up on YouTube, but you might find my blog post on the sixteen questions they answered more informative here. There's also more Creationist questions answered here.
acehighinfinity wrote: 1.a - How did consciousness(mind) come from 'Matter'? Bill Nye and many scientist are unable to answer this.
male and female he created them." and Genesis 3:21-24 "The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.�
Yes, Bill was right. We don't know, but science is working on the question. Simply saying, "God did it" isn't an answer that facilitates looking for facts.
acehighinfinity wrote: 2.a - What scientific evidence support do you have for the Age Of Earth? 4.5 Billion years old (Earth/Universe).
2.b - The holy bible works out to 6000-10000yrs for the age of Earth.
Again, it's observed reality vs. "this book says". (BTW, the earth is estimated at 4.5 billion years old, the universe is 13.7 billion years.)
acehighinfinity wrote: 3. - How did the Atom before the Big Bang get there? We know the Big Bang is only a theory.
You need to understand what a scientific theory is, and what the Big Bang theory actually says. Follow those links for more information, but briefly, a theory in science is an explanation of facts, not just a guess. The Big Bang theory doesn't claim one atom was at the start of everything. Everything itself (time, space, all matter and energy in the universe) was compressed in a hot, dense point.
acehighinfinity wrote: 4.a - How were dinosaurs killed? There are two theories for Science; meteorite and disease.
4.b - Genesis 6:7-8 " So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them..."
- A global flood is the very cause.
There is no evidence for a global flood, whereas there is evidence for a huge cataclysmic disaster that could have caused or contributed to the demise of the dinosaurs. Again, reality vs. what's in a book written by ancient desert nomads.
acehighinfinity wrote: 5. If Science believes homo-sapiens existed an estimate of 200,000yrs ago and Earth is around 4.5 Billions years old. - Why is there a long period (massive gap) of years between Earth and homo-sapiens?
Life had to take time to evolve. Things don't just happen overnight. That's like saying, "why is there such a massive gap between the time I put a glass of water in the freezer and when it becomes solid?"
acehighinfinity wrote:
6. Is the moon in its correct place as we see it today if 4.5 Billion years was true? According to the moon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon. "The Moon's linear distance from Earth is currently increasing at a rate of 3.82±0.07 cm per year, but this rate is not constant"
- Why do they say the moon is moving away from Earth but its not constant? Does the moon have a start and stop button? The calculation does not add up.
Gravity. I encourage you to read scientific articles and books by actual scientists (and not what a website like Answers in Genesis tells you science says), you'll learn a lot of least where to start with these questions.

Even if science couldn't explain the Moon -- or any of the other topics you brought up -- that doesn't mean creationism wins by default. Explanations have to stand on their own two feet. You can't answer a mystery with a mystery.

Where science doesn't know something, it looks. It keeps looking. Saying, "God did it!" doesn't offer the chance to look any further.

Keep looking, acehighinfinity.

acehighinfinity
Apprentice

Post #13

Jashwell wrote: You're in luck

(@[2a])
lol anyone can draw a photoshop picture and put a story on it???

acehighinfinity
Apprentice

Post #14

[Replying to post 12 by smalltownatheist]
Even if science couldn't explain the Moon -- or any of the other topics you brought up -- that doesn't mean creationism wins by default. Explanations have to stand on their own two feet. You can't answer a mystery with a mystery.

Where science doesn't know something, it looks. It keeps looking. Saying, "God did it!" doesn't offer the chance to look any further.

Keep looking, acehighinfinity.
Look, your comment is no difference to the rest here.
No need for me to keep looking, I already found it (Jesus Christ).
And when Science finally bridge all the holes maybe in the year 9999999999, hopefully by then someone would of built a time machine for them to travel back in time and tell you so!

smalltownatheist
Student

Post #15

[Replying to post 14 by acehighinfinity]

The intellectually honest time to believe in something is when there is sufficient reason to do so. Suppose you did have a time machine, and you traveled back 600 years, and showed people your iPhone, telling them you're from the future. They wouldn't be justified in believing you were from the future -- even though you would be -- unless you someone demonstrate your time machine. Again, the time to believe something is when sufficient evidence warrants it.

But you seem to be of the ilk that says, "nothing's gonna change my mind". There's no use debating with you, or you even posting questions to us here.

Joab
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by Joab »

acehighinfinity wrote:

(@[2a])
That crystal was discovered in 2001 and the claim that it was 4.4Bn yrs old was pooh poohed by the scientific community. Unlike religion, scientists continued to investigate now 13yrs later those investigations have proved the claim to be completely accurate. In fact I heard the scientist who discovered the crystal saying precisely this last not on ABC news.
Just console yourself with goddidit.
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

acehighinfinity
Apprentice

Post #17

smalltownatheist wrote: [Replying to post 14 by acehighinfinity]

But you seem to be of the ilk that says, "nothing's gonna change my mind". There's no use debating with you, or you even posting questions to us here.
Do you know we have a lot atheists/non-believers questioning and posting topics on the holy bible and then only have the same attitude "nothing's gonna change my mind". But kudo to you mate!

I learned Science at school and found Christ later on in life.
Why would you think I would change my mind that easily (seriously)?

smalltownatheist
Student

Post #18

acehighinfinity wrote: Do you know we have a lot atheists/non-believers questioning and posting topics on the holy bible and then only have the same attitude "nothing's gonna change my mind". But kudo to you mate!
Show me evidence and I'll change my mind. Any honest person would.
acehighinfinity wrote: I learned Science at school and found Christ later on in life.
Why would you think I would change my mind that easily (seriously)?
Seriously? Because it's a feel-good story. I mean, come on, you get to live forever? You're on the side of truth with a capital 'T'? There is meaning and justice in the world? Many people fall for it over ideas like that. I was a tongue-talking bible-thumbing teen, then found out how to think critically later on in life. What's your point?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Nickman »

acehighinfinity wrote: Hey yall,

I watched the debate video on Ken Ham vs Bill Nye. Observational Science vs The Holy Bible - creationist. Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04S0fYU7FI

I have numbered some of them for Science (evolution) a. and b. for Creation/Holy Bible. I do have a lot of questions here, and if you don't mind answering them that would be great:

1.a - How did consciousness(mind) come from 'Matter'? Bill Nye and many scientist are unable to answer this.
Just because an ancient culture used philosophy to answer tough, unanswered questions, doesn't mean they were right. Most cultures did this. Do you afford them the same significance you do to the Genesis account? If not why not? What's the difference?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Goat »

acehighinfinity wrote:

(@[2a])
But not all stories can get into peer reviewed journals

http://www.sci-news.com/geology/science ... 01779.html
Valley JW et al. Hadean age for a post-magma-ocean zircon confirmed by atom-probe tomography. Nature Geoscience, published online February 23, 2014; doi: 10.1038/ngeo2075
That is a point of peer reviewed scientific journals. People can describe what they found, and how they got the data, so that other people can review the methodology and the data to see how valid and reasonable it is. The purpose of that is so that people can review the process, and try to find flaws in it.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella