Homosexuality is biological just like eye and skin color

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Homosexuality is biological just like eye and skin color

Post #1

Post by OpenYourEyes »

Im primarily looking for scientific answers so please do not move to Religion and sexuality section.

Typically, for a scientific fact and/or theory to be accepted, it must be replicated and peer-reviewed. I often see claims that homosexuality is just like eye color, skin color, gender, etc. For instance here's a claim from one forum member,
Haven wrote: Homosexuality, like blackness, Hispanicness, or femaleness, is a biological trait, a state of being (this is backed up by several psychological, endocrinological, and neuroscientific studies).
Compare the quoted post from Haven to statements from some of the leading organization of scientistS in the world:

American Psychiatric Association...http://www.psychiatry.org/lgbt-sexual-orientation
What causes Homosexuality/Heterosexuality/Bisexuality?

No one knows what causes heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality. Homosexuality was once thought to be the result of troubled family dynamics or faulty psychological development. Those assumptions are now understood to have been based on misinformation and prejudice. Currently there is a renewed interest in searching for biological etiologies for homosexuality. However, to date there are no replicated scientific studies supporting any specific biological etiology for homosexuality.
American Psychological Association...http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx
What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation?

There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.
I accept that biological sex or gender, eye color, skin color are products of biology. But I'm not so sure this is the case for homosexuality or any sexual orientation for that matter.

Debate: Is it scientifically justified to say that homosexuality is caused by biology just like eye color, skin color, gender, etc?

OpenYourEyes
Sage

Re: Homosexuality is biological just like eye and skin color

Post #331

Post by OpenYourEyes »

enviousintheeverafter wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
enviousintheeverafter wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote: This thread, as i clearly stated, is for scientific points that justifies homosexuality being solely a product of biology.
So, since it looks like nobody here is actually asserting as much, you're saying this thread is devoted to attacking a straw man. Erm.. Ok.
Im saying to stay on topic. Speculating or putting words in my mouth are off topic.
Right, but if the claim you want to focus on attacking is one no one is making, then that means the thread is devoted to fighting a straw man, yes?
People have made claims that gays are born gay. I provided you with a Pew Research Poll of just that earlier in this thread. I've personally talked to people who believed such, even claiming that a gay gene exists.

You can only speak for yourself and your limited experience when you say "no one is claiming" such and such.

And for the 2nd time, stay on topic rather than focusing on why I created this thread. Much appreciated!

KenRU
Guru

Post #332

Post by KenRU »

instantc wrote:
KenRU wrote:
instantc wrote:
Clownboat wrote: Two people have been shown to switch orientation following brain trauma. Additionally sexual preference and behavior has been shown to be altered due to brain trauma. If orientation and sexual preference can be effected by brain trauma How is it not biological?
Have two people been shown to switch orientation, or have two people claimed to have switched orientation? Since when does a personal testimony qualify as "showing" in this forum?
Since the baseless assertion made by theists that homosexuality is a choice.

Seems only fair.
So bad evidence turns into good evidence, if your opponent makes baseless claims?
No. My point was that a baseless claim can be rebuffed by another baseless claim.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

enviousintheeverafter
Sage

Post #333

Post by enviousintheeverafter »

OpenYourEyes wrote: People have made claims that gays are born gay. I provided you with a Pew Research Poll of just that earlier in this thread. I've personally talked to people who believed such, even claiming that a gay gene exists.
Right, but no one here. Which renders the point of such a debate topic rather questionable. I mean, maybe this strawman has you really hot under the collar and you're intent on getting payback, but if you're interested in an actual discussion why not focus on more productive and interesting angles to this issue?

instantc
Guru

Post #334

Post by instantc »

KenRU wrote:
instantc wrote:
KenRU wrote:
instantc wrote:
Clownboat wrote: Two people have been shown to switch orientation following brain trauma. Additionally sexual preference and behavior has been shown to be altered due to brain trauma. If orientation and sexual preference can be effected by brain trauma How is it not biological?
Have two people been shown to switch orientation, or have two people claimed to have switched orientation? Since when does a personal testimony qualify as "showing" in this forum?

Seems only fair.
So bad evidence turns into good evidence, if your opponent makes baseless claims?
No. My point was that a baseless claim can be rebuffed by another baseless claim.
No it can't, that's just silly. Baseless claims hardly need to be refuted. Making more baseless claims is in nobody's interest, is it?

KenRU
Guru

Post #335

Post by KenRU »

instantc wrote:
KenRU wrote:
instantc wrote:
KenRU wrote:
instantc wrote:

Seems only fair.
No it can't, that's just silly. Baseless claims hardly need to be refuted. Making more baseless claims is in nobody's interest, is it?
That was my point. If one makes a baseless assertion (IE: homosexuality is a choice), and tries to counter another assertion (IE: that some brain trauma victim's sexual preferences switch) by claiming that it is baseless, well, doesn't that then make one a hypocrit?

I was merely pointing out that the kettle should meet the pot.
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #336

Post by Danmark »

The topic has become hopelessly mired in the issue of whether it was a reasonable topic in the first place and what is and is not 'off topic.'