Theology Debates

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

theleftone

Theology Debates

Post #1

Post by theleftone »

I was thinking it might be good to add a specific forum for debating Christian theology. It would be an open forum for all, but focused on theology rather than arguments for/against the Christian faith. Just a thought.

theleftone

Post #11

Post by theleftone »

Christianity has the subtitle of "Argue for and against Christianity."

I shift my vote from Christian Theology to Doctrine and Dogma, with the subtitle, "Argue theology as understood in a Christian context." The "Christian context" would be a broadly defined context.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

How about Biblical Theology with the subtitle of Argue theology as understood in a Christian context?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Cathar1950 »

Which Christian context?
What is a Christian context?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote:Which Christian context?
What is a Christian context?
It is a polite way of saying "assuming Christianity is correct" without actually defining Christianity.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Cathar1950 »

So it would be like role playing with out a subject.
How about Christian theology with out any hearsay or opinions?

theleftone

Post #16

Post by theleftone »

McCulloch wrote:How about Biblical Theology with the subtitle of Argue theology as understood in a Christian context?
Too narrow. "Biblical Theology" is actually a subfield of theology.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by McCulloch »

tselem wrote:I was thinking it might be good to add a specific forum for debating Christian theology. It would be an open forum for all, but focused on theology rather than arguments for/against the Christian faith. Just a thought.
harvey1 wrote:I like that idea. One of the ground rules, in my opinion, is that you need to have scriptural support for your view. Otherwise, it would just become opinion. What do you think?
McCulloch wrote:How about Biblical Theology with the subtitle of Argue theology as understood in a Christian context?
tselem wrote:Too narrow. "Biblical Theology" is actually a subfield of theology.
I guess I've been around biblical literalists, fundamentalists and sola scriptura sorts too long. Which branches of Christian theology are non-biblical? I felt that the title of Biblical Theology captured the idea by Harvey that in the proposed new forum, all arguments would require scriptural support.
Gospel of John

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by harvey1 »

McCulloch wrote:Which branches of Christian theology are non-biblical? I felt that the title of Biblical Theology captured the idea by Harvey that in the proposed new forum, all arguments would require scriptural support.
My view is limited as tselem suggested. I've noticed a difficulty in talking about what is biblical because of a tendency to discuss skepticism of the bible. I wouldn't mind a sub-forum that discuss general theology, but I myself would have to see it in action before it really interested me.

theleftone

Post #19

Post by theleftone »

McCulloch wrote:I guess I've been around biblical literalists, fundamentalists and sola scriptura sorts too long. Which branches of Christian theology are non-biblical? I felt that the title of Biblical Theology captured the idea by Harvey that in the proposed new forum, all arguments would require scriptural support.
"Biblical Theology" is a methodology for studying theology by following how it develops within the biblical text. It includes the subfields of Old/New Testament, Pauline, and Lukan theologies.

"Systematic Theology" is another methodology which follows topics. It includes subfields like Christology (theology of Christ), Theology Proper (theology of God of the Godhead), Soteriology (theology of salvation), etc.

Each is "biblical" in that they draw their support from the text, but simply approach the study of theology differently. And as you can guess, there are a good number of other methodologies and subfields.

Hence, I do not believe "Biblical Theology" would be a good name. It's too closely tied to the actual terminology of the field of theology.

I think "Christian Theology" or "Doctrine and Dogma" would work. If you're open to the idea, you guys could always rename "Christianity" to "Why Christianity?" Though, the question is a bit inconsistent with the concepts going there.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by McCulloch »

tselem wrote:I think "Christian Theology" or "Doctrine and Dogma" would work. If you're open to the idea, you guys could always rename "Christianity" to "Why Christianity?" Though, the question is a bit inconsistent with the concepts going there.
Thanks for the lesson in theological nomenclature. I'm good with "Christian Theology". "Doctrine and Dogma" sounds, well, just a bit too dogmatic.
You are right, "Why Christianity?" is a bit inconsistent with the concepts going on there. How about something like, "Christianity, for and against"?
Gospel of John