Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

cat

Shinto Is Never Religion

Post #1

Post by cat »

Shinto Is Never Religion

http://book.geocities.jp/japans_conspir ... html#page5

People pray for snobbish profits, particularly for rich marriage, earlier promotion, success in the university entrance examination.

We feel no ethics in this cult.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by His Name Is John »

Polyatheist wrote:This statement about logical fallacies is actually a logical fallacy in and of itself (irony!).
How so? I can list the logical fallacies your writings include if you so wish.
I think the topic was finished when the OP left, we were having a good discussion in the being before it spiraled down into one giant ad hominem about atheists (apparently) being miserable without god.
Create another thread for that, follow the rules, if you haven't read them yet, I would advise you to do so now.
If Jediism can be a religion why not anything anyone can think of.
Is that a question for me? I believe Jediism should be able to be a religion...
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Polyatheist
Apprentice

Post #32

Post by Polyatheist »

His Name Is John wrote:
How so? I can list the logical fallacies your writings include if you so wish.
Go for it, just remember logic is subjective, so something you think could be a fallacy may not be. This would cause your statement to be a fallacy because it doesn't logically line up with what you claim to be a fallacy.
His Name Is John wrote: Create another thread for that, follow the rules, if you haven't read them yet, I would advise you to do so now.
Your last post to me breaks these rules because it didn't not address the OP, you are derailing this thread as much as anyone else, which is also ironic.

His Name Is John wrote:
Is that a question for me? I believe Jediism should be able to be a religion...
It wasn't a question, merely a statement. Jediism is a recognized religion, at least in the UK.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by His Name Is John »

Polyatheist wrote:Go for it, just remember logic is subjecting so something you think could be a fallacy may not be. This would cause your statement to be a fallacy because it doesn't logically line up with what you claim to be a fallacy.
I looked through it and actually Burninglight was falling prey to more.

Plus I don't want to continue talking off topic. I am happy to discuss this in PM.

It wasn't a question, merely a statement. Jediism is a recognized religion, at least in the UK.
I see nothing wrong with that, as I said in my first post in this thread:

I don't think something needs to have an ethical code that you agree with in order for it to be a religion. Religions are just life philosophies (in my mind) which often involve a belief in a deity.

I don't believe it is true, but I believe it is a valid religion.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Burninglight
Guru

Post #34

Post by Burninglight »

Polyatheist wrote:
His Name Is John wrote:This thread makes me sad. Two people who have little respect for one another committing logical fallacy's left and right.
This statement about logical fallacies is actually a logical fallacy in and of itself (irony!).
I agree with that, because I don't appreciate being patronized by anybody.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #35

Post by Burninglight »

His Name Is John wrote:This thread makes me sad. Two people who have little respect for one another committing logical fallacy's left and right. The thread has moved totally off topic and is now discussing some kind of religion vs. atheism. Come on both you guys, you should be better than this!
Polyatheist asked aren't all religions like shinto. I said Christianity and Islam are not. He said that I have misconceptions about religion. I tried to show how they are different; he showed me he doesn't really understand Islam or Christianity with his comments; it went into an atheist vs theist debate to were he said he can't be serious with me.
I was going to drop the discussion after asking if he was serious before; now, this patronizing comment of yours wasn't necessary. It even brings us further from the topic. All you had to say is please get back on topic. I don't want to hear how sad this thread makes you feel and most of all I don't like being patronized. You should've posted your first comment to us by PM or avoid what makes you feel sad.
Thank you for understanding!

Polyatheist
Apprentice

Post #36

Post by Polyatheist »

Burninglight wrote:Polyatheist asked aren't all religions like shinto. I said Christianity and Islam are not. He said that I have misconceptions about religion. I tried to show how they are different; he showed me he doesn't really understand Islam or Christianity with his comments; it went into an atheist vs theist debate to were he said he can't be serious with me.
I was going to drop the discussion after asking if he was serious before; now, this patronizing comment of yours wasn't necessary. It even brings us further from the topic. All you had to say is please get back on topic. I don't want to hear how sad this thread makes you feel and most of all I don't like being patronized. You should've posted your first comment to us by PM or avoid what makes you feel sad.
Thank you for proving your side of the discussion was one giant ad hominem. This ummmmmmm 'unbiased' breakdown of the discussion is unnecessary as the entire transcript is here for anyone to read at their leisure. We would have got along swimmingly when I was a theist because you have many of the same qualities I left behind with my faith.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #37

Post by Burninglight »

Polyatheist wrote:
Burninglight wrote:Polyatheist asked aren't all religions like shinto. I said Christianity and Islam are not. He said that I have misconceptions about religion. I tried to show how they are different; he showed me he doesn't really understand Islam or Christianity with his comments; it went into an atheist vs theist debate to were he said he can't be serious with me.
Thank you for proving your side of the discussion was one giant ad hominem. This ummmmmmm 'unbiased' breakdown of the discussion is unnecessary as the entire transcript is here for anyone to read at their leisure. We would have got along swimmingly when I was a theist because you have many of the same qualities I left behind with my faith.
What part of this quote do you feel is a personal attack? I honestly tried to state things as objectively as I could. My saying that you showed me you don't understand the two largest religions in the world is not a personal attack, and about my being patronized, that wasn't directed at or about you. In other words, what did I say that wasn't true of our little off topic debate?

Jester
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by Jester »

:warning: Moderator Warning
Polyatheist wrote:Wow you have some misconceptions about religion and people in general. To mulsims Muhammad never died, he rode to heaven on a flying horse. How do you figure Jesus is still alive? Is he hiding in a cave playing with himself?
Polyatheist wrote:They only say they believe in god because it justifies their superiority complex above those who are not part of their social club.
The tone of these comments does seem to be needlessly rude in places. Feel free to offer whatever arguments you like, but negative speculation about the psychology of others, as well as euphemistic sexual references, are not helpful in debate.
Please be careful to avoid them in the future.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

Polyatheist
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Polyatheist »

Jester wrote:

Please review our Rules.

I enjoy rule number 5, I don't think many people like to follow that one... If you had to punish people for breaking that one this forum would be empty.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #40

Post by Burninglight »

Rule 5
Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.

This rule doesn't mean that you have to provide evidence or prove that God does or doesn't exist, but it does mean if you claim someone said something, you should be able to back your sources. For instance, I know the Quran states that Allah is the best of deceivers, and I can give you where it is stated in the Quran. A muslim may argue and say "that verse doesn't say that; it says he is the best of planners," but I would then tell the Mulsimm to refer to the original language (Arabic) it was written in. It speaks of the Makr of Allah which means deception.

Now I wouldn't say anything like this if I couldn't support it. Allah even proves he is a deceiver, because the Quran states that Allah made it look like Jesus died on the cross but he really didn't supposedly. Why would Allah do that if he wasn't a deceiver? So, not only Allah calls himself the best of deceivers, he proves it by deceiving billions into believing Jesus didn't die on the cross when He really did and for our sin. The Bible says Satan is the author of confusion & the father of lies. I can now make an argument that the Islamic Allah is Satan impersonating God.
All I say here can be backed up with Scriptures if someone wants to challenge me, be my guest.

Finally, rule 5 is not saying you can't make an assertion or claim that can't be backed up; it states that you shouldn't persist in it.