What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: those that interpret the bible correctly will never find any of its statements contradict proven scientific fact.
What is the "correct" way to interpret the Bible? Is there an objective "correct" way to interpret the Bible? If so, what methods should one employ to interpret the Bible "correctly"?

Let's use Genesis 1 as an example. What is the correct interpretation of Genesis 1 and what method did you employ to conclude your interpretation?

Specifically...

1. Is Genesis 1 literal or metaphorical? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

2. If it is metaphorical, what is it a metaphor for? (what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

3. What is your explanation for the Genesis 1 claim that God created plants before he created the sun? (and again, what method did you use to reach this conclusion?)

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the correct way to interpret the Bible?

Post #11

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

I concur with JW here. The Bible is the Word of God
How do you know?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by 2timothy316 »

Justin108 wrote:

How do you know?
By years of study and implementing what the Bible says to do. Which is following the footsteps of Jesus as closely as possible. Doing this has never failed to produce a happy and secure life. Everything the Bible said would happen by following Jesus's footsteps has happened. The things that are promised in the Bible but haven't happened, due to the 100% success rate of following the Bible in my life I fully expect the future promises to come true as well.

Illustration: A person buys an all-you-can-eat buffet meal. He pays and then goes and sits down at a table with his receipt. He has the receipt showing that he can eat as much as he wants but will simply holding on to that receipt feed him? No. He needs to get up and actually go get his food.

Simply reading the Bible without study and applying is the same as the man sitting in a booth just holding on to that receipt reading that receipt over and over. Until he acts on what he has bought that receipt provides nothing.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

How do you know?
By years of study and implementing what the Bible says to do. Which is following the footsteps of Jesus as closely as possible. Doing this has never failed to produce a happy and secure life. Everything the Bible said would happen by doing has happened. The things that are promised in the Bible but haven't happened, due to the 100% success rate of following the Bible in my life I fully expect the future promises to come true as well.
I've heard similar claims from Muslims. So I guess Islam is true as well. Or does this logic only apply to Christianity?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Justin108 wrote:
No you need to study the bible and prove to yourself that the bible is God's word and a book of truth that can be trusted.
But in order to do this, you have to first believe that the Bible is true.
No, you just need to have an open mind and be ready to invest the time and effort required to make a thorough investigation of the question. I have linked to some material to facilitate such an investigation in post #8 above as well as some of my earlier posts on this topic.

There is no link I can provide that can give a person an open mind, a thirst for truth or a humble teachable spirit.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by 2timothy316 »

Justin108 wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

How do you know?
By years of study and implementing what the Bible says to do. Which is following the footsteps of Jesus as closely as possible. Doing this has never failed to produce a happy and secure life. Everything the Bible said would happen by doing has happened. The things that are promised in the Bible but haven't happened, due to the 100% success rate of following the Bible in my life I fully expect the future promises to come true as well.
I've heard similar claims from Muslims. So I guess Islam is true as well. Or does this logic only apply to Christianity?
Sounds like you're holding on to a receipt. Why ask me or anyone for something you need to prove to yourself. From what I read from your replies no one has a satisfying answer for you. You want proof right? Yet you seek others to provide you with proof in the way of words. People seem to be your crutch. Until you seek a personal relationship with God, people will just keep giving you disappointing answers.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Justin108 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
No you need to study the bible and prove to yourself that the bible is God's word and a book of truth that can be trusted.
But in order to do this, you have to first believe that the Bible is true.
No, you just need to have an open mind and be ready to invest the time and effort required to make a thorough investigation of the question. I have linked to some material to facilitate such an investigation in post #8 above as well as some of my earlier posts on this topic.
If one were to read Genesis 1 without the a priori assumption that the Bible is true, what reason would they have to not dismiss it as inaccurate based on what we know of science today?

For example,
- Jack reads the Bible for the first time
- He reads Genesis 1 and notice that, according to Genesis 1, plant life existed before the creation of the sun
- According to Jack's knowledge of science, this would be impossible

What reason would Jack have to not dismiss the Genesis account as factually inaccurate?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Justin108 »

2timothy316 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

How do you know?
Sounds like you're holding on to a receipt. Why ask me or anyone for something you need to prove to yourself. From what I read from your replies no one has a satisfying answer for you. You want proof right? Yet you seek others to provide you with proof in the way of words. People seem to be your crutch. Until you seek a personal relationship with God, people will just keep giving you disappointing answers.
Ex-Christian, sought a personal relationship with God... eventually concluded there is no God. I should have known better than to post this in Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma. All I'll find here is preaching

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Benoni »

Justin108 wrote:
Benoni wrote: I see many believers dismiss metaphors/examples/symbolism but that is just ant-scriptural for that his one of the wonderful ways God hides his deep Word.
Why does God want to hide his word?

Also, can you perhaps answer each question individually?
Because we are coming out of darkness into the marvelous light. there are many levels of relationship in God the Bible speaks of 30 60 100 fold. !00 fold is a big deal.

Here is the reason so many cannot forsake father, mother, reputation, church leadership position, etc, etc; notice the hundred fold which is the highest spiritual position mention in scripture, there is also a thirty fold, sixty fold where most dwell spiritually.
Matthew 19: 28And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
30But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Benoni »

I love God’s Word; BUT there are two at least two ways to approach God’s Word; the letter that killeth and the spiritual word.

Pro. 25: 2
It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter

I love the above verse and find such an awesome deepness in God in things that are hidden. I find the Bible full of hidden mysteries (Greek Sacred Secret) and what amazes me are some many brothers and sisters in the Lord actually believe there are no mysteries in scripture.

When we receive Jesus as savior we are brand new babes spiritually speaking; all we can handle is the milk of God’s Word. Spiritual matters are hidden from spiritual babies; you see a baby has no teeth and cannot chew on a spiritual steak.

So many of God’s people are mature; mature only in their little religious box; as if you can fit God’s Word in any controlled container. But they are immature spiritually speaking; they might be one hundred and five years old and been going to church for a hundred years but all they can handle is milk.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]
Methodology would be firstly to do what you need to do to accept that the bible is God's word and truthful,
So let's take Hank. Hank is a person who has never heard of Christianity, the Bible or anything to do with the religion. You hand him a Bible (presumably NWT?).
Are you saying that the methodology Hank needs to do is "accept the Bible is God's word and truthful" before he opens the volume?

Do you do that for any other book, JW? I don't. I don't do that with any book!

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense