None good but God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

None good but God

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Question: If there are none good but God how can a not good being pay for my sins?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: None good but God

Post #191

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #188]

Hi Tam,
Does that matter? Is it not their right to forgive a debt if they wish? Perhaps they love the person who owes them a debt. Perhaps they wish to be merciful. Perhaps someone once forgave them a debt and they wish to do the same for someone else.
Is it just for a judge simply says to a criminal I forgive you? Can a judge be merciful and fair to the victim?
So what is your point, that God should not forgive anyone?
No my point is that God has a solution that you fail to accept or fail to see. God is just and merciful. Rejoice.
How so? This is a point you have not explained.
If in all areas of life you understand that we should pay what we own, why shouldn't God also expect to be paid what he is owed? Not God cannot pay for sins against God. Just like 'not money' cannot be used to pay for a monetary debt.

If the man Jesus can pay for our sins against God then why is that payment for everyone? It is for him alone. Imagine the teacher saying well Jimmy passed the test so everyone gets to pass. That is unfair.

If the angel Jesus can pay for our sins against God then how does that payment cover our sins? This still suffers from not being adequate and second is that the law says eye for eye and tooth for tooth. An angel can't pay for our sins.
Okay so if you understand that the wage (not punishment) of sin is death, why are you continuing to inquire about different punishments, different costs?
Because paying death for sin makes no sense, to give death for jay walking, or for spitting on the sidewalk, or for driving 60 in a 40 zone, unless the person we are sinning against is so precious that death is deserved. Another way of saying this, in order to understand why death is always given as the punishment is because of who we sin against - a righteous and holy God. The who we are sinning against is the reason the punishment is so high.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #192

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:11 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 am This is the answer to "only God can save from sins." The Savior does not have to be God. (Christ balanced out what Adam did; Christ for Adam; Christ for our sins.)
Until you realise all sin is against God. Now that you realise that how does that changes your thinking?
All sin is against God, and He arranged for the sin to be blotted out by means of His Son. That is the path God took to resolve the sin problem.

Wootah
Savant

Post #193

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:28 am
onewithhim wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:32 am This is the answer to "only God can save from sins." The Savior does not have to be God. (Christ balanced out what Adam did; Christ for Adam; Christ for our sins.)
Until you realise all sin is against God. Now that you realise that how does that changes your thinking?
All sin is against God, and He arranged for the sin to be blotted out by means of His Son. That is the path God took to resolve the sin problem.
True. But the actually understanding of the Bible makes sense of this.

So if you are owed $1,000,000 and I pay you $1 would you accept it? Since we know the answer is no, why do you ask God to do the same?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #194

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:02 pm
onewithhim wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:28 am
True. But the actually understanding of the Bible makes sense of this.

So if you are owed $1,000,000 and I pay you $1 would you accept it? Since we know the answer is no, why do you ask God to do the same?
God believes that His Son is worth it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #195

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #194]

So you would not accept a dollar in payment for a million but God would?

At the heart of this is that you think you are better than God.

tam
Savant

Post #196

Post by tam »

Peace to you Wootah,
[Replying to Wootah in post #191]

If in all areas of life you understand that we should pay what we own, why shouldn't God also expect to be paid what he is owed? Not God cannot pay for sins against God. Just like 'not money' cannot be used to pay for a monetary debt.

If the man Jesus can pay for our sins against God then why is that payment for everyone? It is for him alone. Imagine the teacher saying well Jimmy passed the test so everyone gets to pass. That is unfair.

If the angel Jesus can pay for our sins against God then how does that payment cover our sins? This still suffers from not being adequate and second is that the law says eye for eye and tooth for tooth. An angel can't pay for our sins.
You stopped a little short with your reference to the law. You said eye for eye and tooth for tooth, but you did not continue with "Life for life."

Jaheshua (the Christ, the Chosen One of JAH) is not an "angel" (unless by angel you just mean 'messenger from God"). He is the Son of God, the Holy One of God.

He IS the LIFE.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life."

He gave HIS life, Wootah, so that we may also have life.

Is He not also the One from whom we must eat in order to live forever?

"Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.

If all of us can eat from Him and live forever, how can He not be worth more than just one life?

He is the Tree of Life, from whom we must eat in order to live forever. He is the Resurrection and the Life.

His value, the value of His blood, His life, is MORE THAN enough to purchase us back to God, to redeem us, to pay for our sins.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Wootah
Savant

Post #197

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #196]

Yes that is wonderful news. Christianity makes sense of it all. Your religion doesn't. If there are none good but God, how can not good Jesus pay for anything?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #198

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:52 pm [Replying to tam in post #196]

Yes that is wonderful news. Christianity makes sense of it all. Your religion doesn't. If there are none good but God, how can not good Jesus pay for anything?
His Father, God, is completely satisfied with Jesus paying the price for our salvation. That is all that matters.

tam
Savant

Post #199

Post by tam »

I believe you are creating a problem that does not exist.

In answer to your question, I must refer you back to a previous response on this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=988043#p988043

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Wootah
Savant

Post #200

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:57 pm

His Father, God, is completely satisfied with Jesus paying the price for our salvation. That is all that matters.
Yes the Bible is true but your model doesn't explain it. Your retreat shows this.