Christianity - morality or grace

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Christianity - morality or grace

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

"Christianity is not about morality in pursuit of divine reward, but about gratitude in response to God's grace."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendez ... 1cf93a324d

Q: Discuss this quote.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

dio9
Under Probation

Re: Christianity - morality or grace

Post #21

Post by dio9 »

Wootah wrote: "Christianity is not about morality in pursuit of divine reward, but about gratitude in response to God's grace."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendez ... 1cf93a324d

Q: Discuss this quote.
Christianity is all about grace.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by 2timothy316 »

Christianity is about the first thing Jesus prayed for.

“You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified..." Matthew 6:9

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote: Christianity is about the first thing Jesus prayed for.

“You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified..." Matthew 6:9
Isn't that what Judaism is about?

If so, what makes Christianity different; what makes it Christianity rather than Judaism, do you think?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by 2timothy316 »

Checkpoint wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: Christianity is about the first thing Jesus prayed for.

Isn't that what Judaism is about?
What makes you so sure it changed? Glorifying his Father was Jesus' main concern. The beauty of this is that mankind's salvation is wrapped up in the sanctification of God's name. By saving mankind Jehovah glorifies His own name and shows His Grace/undeserved kindness towards us.

"Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you." John 17:1

"For if by the trespass of the one man death ruled as king through that one, how much more will those who receive the abundance of the undeserved kindness and of the free gift of righteousness rule as kings in life through the one person, Jesus Christ!" Romans 5:17

It's brilliant! God will do both by tying one to the other.
If so, what makes Christianity different; what makes it Christianity rather than Judaism, do you think?
Name changes are not really new. Jews where not always called "Jews". At one time they were known as Hebrews. The designation “Hebrew� is first used for Abram, distinguishing him thereby from his Amorite neighbors. (Ge 14:13) Then God's people were later known as Israelites. Even that name 'Israel' was given to a man named Jacob. Abram became Abraham. So name changes are not new. All of these things were for the sanctification of God's name in keeping covenants that God made with all of these people. Now we have a 'new covenant' that Jesus enacted on the night prior to his death. (Mt 26:27, 28, Hebrews 12:24) This name change reflects this new covenant God made with His Son just as God made a covenant with Jacob AKA Israel and Abram AKA Abraham. So the fact there is a name change for what God's people are known by but the same unifying goal shared by them all shouldn't be surprising at all. Again, it's brilliant!!

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 24 by 2timothy316]

[quote]So the fact there is a name change for what God's people are known by but the same unifying goal shared by them all shouldn't be surprising at all. Again, it's brilliant!![/q

Actually, if you are talking about name changes, the new name could be said to be "the Way".

See Acts 9:2,19; 19:9.23; 22:4, and 28:22.

Jesus is himself the Way, and he brought in this new way, John 1:17-18.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #26

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 25 by Checkpoint]

Acts 11:26 says, "it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians." The term Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς was by divine providence. The term we know translated as 'Christian' is from God. 'The Way' could be the name of the correct way one to live one's life but I don't see that it should be the name of God's people.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Checkpoint]

Acts 11:26 says, "it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians." The term Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς was by divine providence. The term we know translated as 'Christian' is from God. 'The Way' could be the name of the correct way one to live one's life but I don't see that it should be the name of God's people.
The phrase "by divine providence" does not appear to be in the Greek.

In any case, the name "Israel" remains unchanged as also describing who God's people are.
Galatians 6:

15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.
16 And to those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, even upon the Israel of God.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #28

Post by onewithhim »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 17 by onewithhim]
That would mean that God lied?
Jeremiah 32:38-40New International Version (NIV)

38 They will be my people, and I will be their God. 39 I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me and that all will then go well for them and for their children after them. 40 I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

Isaiah 59:21
“As for me, this is my covenant with them,� says the Lord. “My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants—from this time on and forever,� says the Lord.

Ezekiel 36:27
And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
No, God did not lie. He kept His side of the bargain. They promised originally to do everything Jehovah told them to do, but they turned against Him. They didn't uphold their part of the covenant. Even though He warned them dozens if not hundreds of times, they would not listen. Because of their unfaithfulness and their treachery, Jehovah did just what He said He would do. Cast them off. Then He went to the Gentiles for His special people. (Acts 15:14)

"I [Moses] have taught you [Israel] statutes and judgments just as the LORD my God commanded me, that you should do thus in the land where you are entering to possess it. So keep and do them, for that is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes and say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.'...Only give heed to yourself and keep your soul diligently, so that you do not forget the things which your eyes have seen and they do not depart from your heart all the days of your life; but make them known to your sons and your grandsons....

"So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone....So watch yourselves carefully...so that you do not act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves...Watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the LORD your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image...for the LORD your God is a consuming fire. a jealous God.

"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that you will surely perish quickly from the land where you are going...You shall not live long on it, but will be utterly destroyed." (Deuteronomy 4:5-9,13-16,23-26, NASB)

It looks as if it was vital that the people keep their end of the bargain and obey their God. It wouldn't bode well for them if they disobeyed. They did themselves in by refusing to obey Jehovah.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #29

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 27 by Checkpoint]

If you're a person that believes that the Bible is God's Word then the fact that Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς is even in the Bible makes the name supported by divine providence.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 27 by Checkpoint]

If you're a person that believes that the Bible is God's Word then the fact that Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς is even in the Bible makes the name supported by divine providence.
That may well be, but we cannot put that or any other words into scripture that are not already in the Greek or Hebrew.