The Character of God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

PaxRomana

The Character of God

Post #1

Post by PaxRomana »

My question is for Christians, and has 3 parts:

#1-I consider myself a rational and compassionate person. How could I, in good conscience, follow a God who orders his people to do the following?:

“Thus says Yahweh of hosts: 'I have observed what Amalek did to Israel, how he opposed him when he went up from Egypt. So then, go and attack Amalek and utterly destroy all that is his! You must not spare him, but kill both man and woman, both child and nursing infant, both ox and sheep, both camel and donkey.'�
(1 Samuel 15:2-3 LEB)

(Similar episodes of divine genocide can be found in Gen: 6, Deut: 2, 3, 7, 13, 20 & Josh: 6, 10)

#2-If God commanded you to commit an atrocity, such as murdering 'nursing infants', as he commands the ancient Hebrews in the last passage, would you obey him, and would it change your perception of his character?

3-Finally, how do you reconcile this image of a wrathful & jealous God with the impression of God one might get from reading the following verses?:

“Dear friends, let us love one another, because love is from God, and everyone who loves has been fathered by God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
(1 John 4:7-8 LEB)

“Love is patient, love is kind, love is not jealous, it does not boast, it does not become conceited, it does not behave dishonorably, it is not selfish, it does not become angry, it does not keep a record of wrongs, it does not rejoice at unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7 LEB)

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Re: The Character of God

Post #41

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 39 by Yahu]

Can you send me a link to were I can find this information since this is not of biblical origin and more into the realm of speculation. I would be curious to see where this information comes from. You have to bear in mind I don't believe in gods so a high priestess of some mythological religion is not someone I can take seriously. That is almost like someone who believes in odin telling me that Thor had children from women he pillaged. I would be curious though to read about it and discover these things. I particularly am interested in nephilim it could prove to be interesting to have extra sources on the matter.

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by The Me's »

[Replying to post 1 by PaxRomana]

If you take those verses out of context, you most certainly have a point.

Too bad you can't do that (rationally).

If you were to view the context, you'd be shocked at the practices of the Canaanites who practiced child sacrifice by burning them at the stake. Even Egyptian writings describe them as grotesque cultures.

Think "Al Qaeda" and add a generous helping of cruelty.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #43

[Replying to post 42 by The Me's]

There is not really strong archeological evidence to support mass child sacrifices as depicted in the bible. There is only rumors from a few roman historians and of course a biblical reference. Furthermore there is child sacrifice among the Jews as well so should we commit genocide on the jews?

Let's say you were right though and they were practicing child sacrifice. Your solution is to kill all the children? That is highly illogical.

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by The Me's »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 42 by The Me's]

There is not really strong archeological evidence to support mass child sacrifices as depicted in the bible. There is only rumors from a few roman historians and of course a biblical reference. Furthermore there is child sacrifice among the Jews as well so should we commit genocide on the jews?

Let's say you were right though and they were practicing child sacrifice. Your solution is to kill all the children? That is highly illogical.
We don't really need to confirm the Bible's claims since the Bible itself is a primary historical source.

(What rational reason exists to claim otherwise if the Bible has so often been confirmed by outside sources and never contradicted?)

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #45

[Replying to post 44 by The Me's]

It is often contradicted historically not to mention it contradicts itself. Should I consider the Illiad a valid historical source? I think not. The bible is not valid as a prime historical source I am sorry it just isnt.

But like I said lets just assume it was accurate. your solution to prevent child sacrifice is to kill all the children?

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by The Me's »

[Replying to post 45 by DanieltheDragon]

Since you didn't provide a place where science contradicts the Bible, I have to reject your claim.

Since you didn't provide a place where the Bible contradicts itself, ditto.

Your claims come with a burden of evidence. I don't suppose that it's too much to ask that you honor that responsibility?

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #47

[Replying to post 46 by The Me's]

..... in the Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma we dont discuss the accuracy of the bible I am trying to discuss something with you by assuming it is accurate
But like I said lets just assume it was accurate
so back to what I pose to you. Given the context that they were sacrificing children, an appropriate solution is to kill all the children? I would think that sounds ridiculous to most people.

P.S. we can have a 1v1 debate on the accuracy of the bible if you want that could prove fun.

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by The Me's »

[Replying to post 47 by DanieltheDragon]

I never accept claims that the Bible is inaccurate unless I'm given evidence.

In addition to that, though, you can't have a discussion on theology of the Bible without it's adequacy as a source established.

By discussing this with you, I'm trying to point out that your question is unjustifiably out of context. I understand how you can be offended at a command to kill children, but I don't understand how you think you can make a judgment call on an even that happened in the Bronze Age, looking at it from a distance of 3000+ years.

You simply don't have a sound basis for discussion.

The only thing I can offer you is that both the Bible and Egyptian records agree that the Canaanites were truly demonic. Every time I see them mentioned in Egyptian records, they're referred to as "the wretched Asiatics".

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #49

[Replying to post 48 by The Me's]

I am giving you that the bible is accurate for the sake of argument. Ok lets just assume that its accurate. Lets say the Canaanites were truly bad people. Lets say they sacrificed children.

So given that information is it best to kill all the children?

I would be happy to debate the accuracy of the bible in the one on one section would that work for you?

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by The Me's »

[Replying to post 49 by DanieltheDragon]

You're trying to debate in a vacuum. You don't have adequate knowledge of the Canaanites or their context to make a sound judgment.

It's gotten to the point where you're distorting what the Bible is saying. The Bible didn't say that "in order to stop the killing of children, you have to kill the children."

The Bible actually says (in Genesis) that "the sins of the Canaanites are not yet ripe", and later "you are to destroy everything..."

It's not advisable to depart from the text, what it says or what it intended to mean, just for the sake of having a debate.