What is a soul?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Skrill

What is a soul?

Post #1

Post by Skrill »

It is fact that the Physical Brain controls memories, personality. Thousands of other actions are all controlled by our nervous system, which is managed by our brains.

Therefore, what consensus is there for any evidence for a soul(s)? As the existence of the soul is very central to any belief or religion.

(my first post :roll:)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #61

Post by JehovahsWitness »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 59 by JehovahsWitness]

You posted before I finished editing. The final word of the post is , A living soul is part of God.
NONE of what you say is in the bible. None of your statements is even indicated in the bible. You make statements like, "the soul preexists [the person]", "the soul is bigger" or "the soul is part of God"... all very nice but there is nothing in the bible that indicates any of that. All we have is that the word soul is synonymous with "person" "creature" "being".

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #62

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 49 by dio9]
dio9 wrote:
Well try it and see what happens. Either you are the little man in your head (ego) or you are everything.
You want me to "try it"?

Do you mean "pretend"?

I said that it was a very pretty thought.
I love butterflies and ponies, too.

If you mean "Think about it", I did.
It was nice. Thank you for the fantasy.

Now what?
What was the point?

:)

dio9
Under Probation

Post #63

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 61 by JehovahsWitness]

person creature being, pretty vague would you agree?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #64

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 62 by Blastcat]

I just mean to say only you as an individual can know what soul is from your personal experience. Like you are a soul, know it or not .

dio9
Under Probation

Post #65

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 55 by onewithhim]

I just can't see the soul as an independent identity, an ego in a bag of skin, rather then that , the soul being in our body , our body is in the soul .

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #66

[Replying to post 63 by dio9]

Are you suggesting you don't know what a person is?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

marco
Savant

Post #67

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

NONE of what you say is in the bible. None of your statements is even indicated in the bible.
In Luke 24:39 we have Christ saying:

King James Bible:
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

That would suggest Christ believed something along the lines you are discrediting. Why would anyone suppose that, after death, a body becomes a fleshless spirit? Though Christ is pointing out he has returned with a real body, the underlying idea is that one would expect a spirit and Christ has done the unusual..... to say the least.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #68

marco wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

NONE of what you say is in the bible. None of your statements is even indicated in the bible.
In Luke 24:39 we have Christ saying:

King James Bible:
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

That would suggest Christ believed something along the lines you are discrediting. Why would anyone suppose that, after death, a body becomes a fleshless spirit? Though Christ is pointing out he has returned with a real body, the underlying idea is that one would expect a spirit and Christ has done the unusual..... to say the least.
The word under discussion is "soul". You posted a scripture that doesn't even mention the world "soul". "soul" and "spirit" are not the same words.
JehovahsWitness wrote:Why would anyone suppose that, after death, a body becomes a fleshless spirit?
I don't know, I can only suggest you contact the person that has suggested this, and ask them.

JW

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #69

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 64 by dio9]

[center]Fallacious Religious Reasoning:
The argument from ignorance[/center]

dio9 wrote:
I just mean to say only you as an individual can know what soul is from your personal experience. Like you are a soul, know it or not .
"Know it or not" is your argument?

Whether you KNOW IT OR NOT... spaghetti is better than oranges.
Whether you KNOW IT OR NOT.. you are wrong.
Whether you KNOW IT OR NOT, you are perfectly right.

Whether you KNOW IT OR NOT, this argument is ridiculously bad.

Whether you KNOW IT OR NOT, when you confuse your BELIEF for a fact, you are making a category error.

Whether Blastcat KNOWS something OR NOT, says absolutely NOTHING about the state of YOUR knowledge.

I am NOT you.
My knowledge or ignorance says nothing about YOUR knowledge or ignorance.

So, your belief in a soul is YOURS... you only CLAIM to have any "knowledge" of it.. knowledge that you don't seem to be able to communicate very well, or demostrate.

So, to the question:

How does my ignorance demonstrate that something that you believe in is true?

:)

marco
Savant

Post #70

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

The word under discussion is soul. You posted a scripture that doesn't even mention the world "soul". "soul" and "spirit" are not the same words.
So you say, in order to maintain some semblance of correctness. You are under the impression that bodies stay dead. Yet here is Jesus himself mentioning ghosts or spirits - which is what many regard as souls. This seems to go against what you've been taught in your modern school of seeing things.

marco wrote:Why would anyone suppose that, after death, a body becomes a fleshless spirit?
JehovahsWitness wrote:
I don't know, I can only suggest you contact the person that has suggested this, and ask them.

Jesus is dead, JW. I got my information directly from his reported words. If he did not accept the existence of spirits, he would not have made the point about the apostles mistaking him for a ghost. He actually describes what a spirit involves. If things were as you think they are, he would have said BODIES DO NOT BECOME SPIRITS AFTER DEATH.

Do you oppose Christ's revelation now, when it's inconvenient?