What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the Biblical view of hell?

Post #681

Post by PinSeeker »

theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am
PinSeeker wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:05 pm Who ever said anything about anybody being tortured by anybody, Question? Certainly not me, and certainly not the Bible.
So you don't understand Churchianity's 'Hellfire" dogma?
LOL! I understand what some whacked out views of the "Hellfire dogma are," and the misconceptions of said "dogma" (on both sides of the coin) are, for sure. But the Bible says absolutely nothing about anybody torturing anybody. My goodness. That's one of the things this whole thread is about. And -- think about this -- having to explain this in this thread should have never even been necessary, and has really been quite tortuous, a real pain in the you-know-what. :)

Grace and peace to you.

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #682

Post by theQuestion »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #683]

Hellfire is nothing BUT a "whacked Out" dogma! :D
You MUST worship with spirit & TRUTH!- Jesus

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #683

Post by theQuestion »

Tcg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm Questions for debate:
Rev 20 sums it up quite nice- shattering the Foul Illusion of Churchianity~

Rev 20:11- And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12- And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13- And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and HELL delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14- And death and HELL were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15- And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So, contrary to the DELIBERATE DECEPTION of Churchianity- no one has, nor ever will be burning in a 'Hellfire'. Hell is simply the grave we will be RESURRECTED from, because of the Ransom or Lord paid! NO ONE has been judged yet. The dead (not the living) get OUT of Hell to be judged.

The symbolic 'lake' is explained; it pictures the SECOND , final, death, to which no ransom exists!

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #684

Post by PinSeeker »

theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:24 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #683]
Hellfire is nothing BUT a "whacked Out" dogma! :D
Well, it depends on how you understand it. You may understand it in the right way (but I think not), but regardless whether you do or not, you're portraying it in the wacked out way. :D

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #685

Post by PinSeeker »

theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Tcg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm Questions for debate:
Rev 20 sums it up quite nice- shattering the Foul Illusion of Churchianity~

Rev 20:11- And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12- And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13- And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and HELL delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14- And death and HELL were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15- And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So, contrary to the DELIBERATE DECEPTION of Churchianity- no one has, nor ever will be burning in a 'Hellfire'. Hell is simply the grave we will be RESURRECTED from, because of the Ransom or Lord paid! NO ONE has been judged yet. The dead (not the living) get OUT of Hell to be judged.

The symbolic 'lake' is explained; it pictures the SECOND , final, death, to which no ransom exists!
Hm. Some misconceptions, and some things I would agree with. I encourage you to look back through this way-too-long thread. :) At my comments. :D Maybe you could start with Post #205, way back on page 21.

Grace and peace to you.

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #686

Post by theQuestion »

Nah- just paraphrase 'em. Or why not one at a time, so we can compare notes?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #687

Post by PinSeeker »

Okay, I'll just break up your post above and respond to each of your points:
theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm Rev 20 sums it up quite nice- shattering the Foul Illusion of Churchianity...
I agree with you concerning what you say about Revelation 20.
theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm ...no one has, nor ever will be burning in a 'Hellfire'.
Well, in one sense -- the literal -- I agree. But in the other sense -- the figurative, where the person will be in a literal place where he or she experiences a figurative "fire" for eternity -- I disagree. Not sure how you feel about that, but it is what it is.
theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm Hell is simply the grave we will be RESURRECTED from, because of the Ransom or Lord paid! NO ONE has been judged yet.
Okay so you're talking about before the Judgment here; I understand that. But I disagree with the first part of what you say. All who have previously died (physically) will be physically resurrected prior to the Judgment, believers and non-believers alike. Using the language Jesus used in John 5:28-29, those who have done well (repented and believed, and borne the fruit of the Spirit) will be resurrected to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil (not repented or believed and have therefore not borne the fruit of the Spirit) will be resurrected to the resurrection of judgment. Subsequently, the Judgment will take place, and this latter group will be sent to a place of "outer darkness" -- hell -- which is the eternal dwelling of the dead.
theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm The dead (not the living) get OUT of Hell to be judged.
Disagree. Hell is the result of the Judgment for those on Jesus's proverbial left (Matthew 25:41-46). This is in the age to come, or eternity. It is, though, interesting to think about where the unrepentant are between the time they physically die and the resurrection and Judgment. My personal opinion is that, when an unrepentant person dies physically, his or her next conscious thought is at the moment he or she is physically resurrected.
theQuestion wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm The symbolic 'lake' is explained; it pictures the SECOND , final, death, to which no ransom exists!
Yes, I agree, but I'm not sure your meaning here is exactly the same as what I would mean by it. Maybe, though. Maybe. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #688

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #688]
It is, though, interesting to think about where the unrepentant are between the time they physically die and the resurrection and Judgment.

My personal opinion is that, when an unrepentant person dies physically, his or her next conscious thought is at the moment he or she is physically resurrected.
Hi Pinseeker.

That is indeed an interesting thought.

How did you come to draw that conclusion on that question?

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #689

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:49 am
PinSeeker wrote:It is, though, interesting to think about where the unrepentant are between the time they physically die and the resurrection and Judgment. My personal opinion is that, when an unrepentant person dies physically, his or her next conscious thought is at the moment he or she is physically resurrected.
Hi Pinseeker.

That is indeed an interesting thought. How did you come to draw that conclusion on that question? Grace and peace to you.
Not anything really concrete, except maybe to point out what Jesus says to the man crucified with Him on His right -- "you will be with me today in paradise" (we can make an indirect inference concerning the man crucified on His left).

Actually, though, I'm going to clarify that a bit based on Jesus's parable in Luke 16, which we have discussed extensively:

I would say both thoughts are true. At the resurrection, our spirits are reunited with our physical bodies. So between physical death and the resurrection, our spirits are conscious and either with Jesus or... somewhere else :), while our bodies "sleep." So physically speaking, my original thought is indeed the case, that our next conscious thought is at the moment of our physical resurrection. But our spirits, as I said, are conscious during that same time, as we see in Luke 16, and we are well aware of our immediate surroundings.

That's my opinion. :)

I see where theQuestion has been banned... I can't say that's surprising. :)

Grace and peace to you, also.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #690

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to otseng in post #681]

Bart Ehrman, a well respected Biblical Scholar and textual critic, describes his professional perspective in the video interview below: