"True worship acceptable to God"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

"True worship acceptable to God"

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Jehovah's Witnesses claim to be the only group which practices "true worship acceptable to God" and that all other sects do not.

Seems an extraordinary claim.

Prove it!,... Give us extraordinary proof to support your extraordinary claim.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: "True worship acceptable to God"

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jehovah's Witnesses base their claim on the bible. We recognise that the bible is only acceptable as a reflection of God's standards, and therefore proof of what is and is not true religion, to a very small number of nominal Christians. When the bible is put aside, or dismissed as a unreliable source of religious truth, no proof can exist.

To such ones the only reasonable response is that Jehovah's Witnesses BELIEVE that our organisation is the only one that represents true Christianity today (reasons see above). This is indeed my personal conviction, others are more than welcome to reject this belief, because it is just that, a belief, if they choose.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Further Reading: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe That They Have the One True Religion??
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -religion/

Are You Convinced That You Have the Truth? Why?
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014682
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Jehovah’s Witnesses base their claim on the bible. We recognise that the bible is only acceptable as a reflection of God's standards, and therefore proof of what is and is not true religion, to a very small number of nominal Christians. When the bible is put aside, or dismissed as a unreliable source of religious truth, no proof can exist.

To such ones the only reasonable response is that Jehovah's Witnesses BELIEVE that our organisation is the only one that represents true Christianity today (reasons see above). This is indeed my personal conviction, others are more than welcome to reject this belief, because it is just that, a belief, if they choose.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

Further Reading: Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe That They Have the One True Religion?
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... -religion/

Are You Convinced That You Have the Truth? Why?
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014682
One of your links challenges and asks
Why are you convinced that you have the truth?
so it is only fair on a debating site that you answer the same challenge, as you claim that yours is the only ""true worship acceptable to God" and suggesting that other's worship is not acceptable to God.

In fact your group goes from house to house, saying in effect "you folks have it all wrong, here, let us show you the way!"

The implication is that you JWs think you have a monopoly on the truth.

And you wonder why your group meets opposition?

OK, since the Bible is considered authoritative* on this particular forum, please demonstrate that your religion entirely conforms (or conforms more than any other religion or Christian denomination) to the Bible and that others do not.

Evangelicals make the same claim, why are they wrong and you right?

Yes, on this particular thread, you insert the disclaimer we believe that we have the only "true worship acceptable to God", but I do not recall you using that qualifier on other threads.

OK so, where in the Bible does it say that YOUR GROUP has the only "true worship acceptable to God"?

*("authoritative" in this forum does not necessarily mean perfect)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Elijah John wrote:Yes, on this particular thread, you insert the disclaimer we believe that we have the only "true worship acceptable to God", but I do not recall you using that qualifier on other threads.

Yes that is because it is our belief, are we the only group that is not allowed to state our beliefs, no matter how unreasonable they may seem to others? Even if we said we got that belief from the planet Zhogg, you are free to say "That's stupid" ... and then move on.

We hold our beliefs because we hold the entire bible as the infallible and perfect word of God and our own partitular interpretation of the bible at any given time to be true. I'm sure you agree that there is no point in presenting scriptures that are viewed by many as human opinion and along with Jehovah’s Witness interpretation which are viewed by some as mental gymnastics. So, it seems reasonable to agree to disagree on the infallibility of the text, the interpretation of those texts and the conclusions drawn.

I have stated my beliefs and the reasons for them. You can take this to apply to all statements I make on this subject. Feel free to react as you wish.

JW

Further reading : Is there one true religion?
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102008081
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Elijah John wrote:And you wonder why your group meets opposition?
If you are asking about Jehovah's Witnesses as a group, I assure you we do nothing of the kind.

If you are speaking of me as an individual, I dont come here to answer personal questions.

If the question was rhetorical and you are in fact implying the opposition we encounter is justified, you can take the matter up with the Almighty, we already have.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by 2timothy316 »

Elijah John wrote:

And we fully expect to. Jesus had opposition. Israel had constant opposition. Able had opposition. "And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring." Gen 3:15

Enmity meaning: the state or feeling of being actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.

We do not wonder why, we know why. Following God invites enmity. Seeking truth invites enmity.

Jehovah has the monopoly on truth He also can give it to whomever seeks it.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

[center]Did you ever have to make up your mind?[/center]

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Jehovah’s Witnesses base their claim on the bible.

THEN IT'S A CLAIM.

Prove it's true, or drop it.

JehovahsWitness wrote:
This is indeed my personal conviction, others are more than welcome to reject this belief, because it is just that, a belief, if they choose.[/i]

Then it's a BELIEF.

You don't have to prove that.
Just saying that you believe it is enough.

But please, make up your mind.

Question:

• Is is a claim or a belief?

:)

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

2timothy316 wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

And we fully expect to. Jesus had opposition. Israel had constant opposition. Able had opposition. "And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring." Gen 3:15

Enmity meaning: the state or feeling of being actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.

We do not wonder why, we know why. Following God invites enmity. Seeking truth invites enmity.

Jehovah has the monopoly on truth He also can give it to whomever seeks it.
The problem here is that this is common to all factions of the Abrahamic religions. Not only can all factions of Christianity point to this as support for their specific faction being oppressed, but even all the factions of Islam can point to this very same ideology.

So this is not only a very weak argument or support for this, but it's to be expected as an apologetic excuse as well as an evangelical tool to try to support every disagreeing sect.

A far more obvious truth is that Jehovah's Witnesses didn't even become rebellious faction of Christianity until the late 1800's being started in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA. And they were rebelling against mainstream Protestantism which had already been a rebellious movement in "opposition" to the Roman Catholic Church which was the original "Body of Christ".

So if anything, the original Roman Catholic Church has a far greater claim at being opposed by all these rebellious Protesting groups of Protestantism.

Jehovah's Witnesses are only one of tens of thousands of rebellious factions of Christianity. In fact, Jehovah's Witnesses represent less than 1% of Christendom.

The idea that they would have the only "True worship acceptable to God" whilst the other 99% of Christendom including the Roman Catholic Church have it all wrong is not even remotely feasible. In fact, if that were true that would mean that there wasn't a true form of Christianity from the time of Christ until about 1870 when the Jehovah's Witnesses rebelled against mainstream Protestantism in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania USA.

How do Jehovah's Witnesses account for it having taken one thousand eight-hundred and seventy years before Christ's message was finally understood by a group of disgruntled Protestant rebels in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 8 by Divine Insight]

If opposition was the only criteria then I might agree with you. Are you aware of the other criteria that points to true worship?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 9 by 2timothy316]
2timothy316 wrote:
If opposition was the only criteria then I might agree with you. Are you aware of the other criteria that points to true worship?

Question:

• What does "true worship" mean?

:)