Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Are mormons christian?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 51

Kuan
Site Supporter

Why do some people believe mormons are not christian?

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

So, you can probably tell I'm Mormon and I'm willing to debate my religion or answer questions. The purpose of this thread though is that I have had many people tell me I'm not Christian even though I believe in Jesus. I'm wondering why that is. Thanks for any answers!

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #101

Post by Goat »

prkrruns wrote:Actually the knowledge of the bible is proven. Not only are many historical events in line with the bible, but William Lane Craig has written extensively on the subject. Unless I am mistaken I believe he spent several years proving the bible. If you gve me a little time I will look around for some sources.
Honestly, I am not impressed with the knowledge and logical of Mr Craig. I don't care now many years he spent 'proving' the bible... the informatino I have seen from him was faulty.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

prkrruns
Apprentice

Post #102

Post by prkrruns »

Where is your evidence that his logic was faulty. Please cite this evidence so that I may reaserch it fully.

Until then if you want to disprove the bible, please provide stories of the bible that are not in line with historical records.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #103

Post by Goat »

prkrruns wrote:Where is your evidence that his logic was faulty. Please cite this evidence so that I may reaserch it fully.

Until then if you want to disprove the bible, please provide stories of the bible that are not in line with historical records.
Everything he wrote practically.. including his rendition of the Kaalam argument... he uses the argument from ignorence,..shifting the burden of proof.

his teleological argument is horrible too.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

prkrruns
Apprentice

Post #104

Post by prkrruns »

I have yet to see any proof...

If you want to post your opinions join Facebook, I believe there is a rule that says you must provide proof to back up your claims.

disclaimer: my coment about facebook was not an insult, i myself am a member of facebook and enjoy posting my opinions there regularly. My commment was merely meant as a freindly suggestion. :whistle:

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #105

Post by Goat »

prkrruns wrote:I have yet to see any proof...

If you want to post your opinions join Facebook, I believe there is a rule that says you must provide proof to back up your claims.

disclaimer: my coment about facebook was not an insult, i myself am a member of facebook and enjoy posting my opinions there regularly. My commment was merely meant as a freindly suggestion. :whistle:
There have been several long threads about the Kalam arguemnet..

You see, he starts out with

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause.

Now, QM has falsified that 'Whatever begins to exist has a cause'. Therefore, anythi8ng that he can come up with after that is nonsense.

Steven Novella

prkrruns
Apprentice

Post #106

Post by prkrruns »

Very well, give me one instance of somthing that happens withought a cause.

Then tell me how any of this pertains to the topic thread.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #107

Post by McCulloch »

TheFoolForHimAboveAll wrote:Historically, only until recently have Mormons wanted to be called Christians, preferring not to be included with Christian denominations, which Joseph Smith said were, "all wrong ... all their creeds were an admonition in his sight, and that those professors (Christians) were all corrupt" (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith, 2:18-19).
The Mormon aversion to Christian denominations is not a renunciation of Christianity on the part of the early Mormons, but a rejection of denominationalism and the divisions and sectarianism of the established Christian groups. A certain amount of this thinking can be traced to Sidney Rigdon. He was a preacher between 1821 and 1824, in Alexander Campbell's restoration movement, called the Church of Christ. Rigdon joined with Joseph Smith in 1830.

Smith named his church the Church of Christ in 1829-30. It became the Church of Jesus Christ in 1834 and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1838.

What the restoration movement have in common with the LDS movement is the goal to restore 1st-century Christian church which, they believe, had become corrupt and distorted due to the inclusion of human teachings which had supplanted God's in the organized churches. The difference, of course, is that the LDS movement accepts later-day revelations from God while the restoration movement accepts no creed but the Bible.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #108

Post by sleepyhead »

McCulloch wrote:Smith named his church the Church of Christ in 1829-30. It became the Church of Jesus Christ in 1834 and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1838.
Hello McCulluch,

Actually the history of the church's name is a little more complicated than the above. Being ex LDS I looked into it because part of the churches claim to fame is that they have Jesus in there name. It started as you wrote with the name Church of Christ. Then the church split into two groups. The Eastern group where JS was changed their name to the Church of latter day saints. The group further west under the leadership of someone else named his the church of Jesus Christ. JS had some financial problems and had to come west. He sort of combined the two names into the COJCOLDS.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #109

Post by Kuan »

sleepyhead wrote:
McCulloch wrote:Smith named his church the Church of Christ in 1829-30. It became the Church of Jesus Christ in 1834 and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1838.
Hello McCulluch,

Actually the history of the church's name is a little more complicated than the above. Being ex LDS I looked into it because part of the churches claim to fame is that they have Jesus in there name. It started as you wrote with the name Church of Christ. Then the church split into two groups. The Eastern group where JS was changed their name to the Church of latter day saints. The group further west under the leadership of someone else named his the church of Jesus Christ. JS had some financial problems and had to come west. He sort of combined the two names into the COJCOLDS.
Sleepyhead, Havent we been over this already? JS was murdered before the two churches separated. He never made it out west.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #110

Post by sleepyhead »

mormon boy51 wrote:
sleepyhead wrote:
Hello McCulluch,

Sleepyhead, Havent we been over this already? JS was murdered before the two churches separated. He never made it out west.
Hello mormonboy,

In the 1830's there was a major group of saints in Ohio. They built the kirkland temple. JS was the leader of this group. They were known as the church of latter day saints. There was another group further west (probably either missouri or Illinois). They were known as the Church of Jesus Christ. JS would have had very limited involvement with this second group. The plague on the Kirkland temple will say Church of LDS. The printing history on your D&C will give the 2nd printing as being for the Church of LDS.
At some time becuase of his financial dealings JS had to leave Ohio for (probably) Missouri. When he did he changed the name of the complete church to it's present name.
PS. Some minor details of the above may not be true. I'm not a historian.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.