Xianity vs Christianity

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

fewwillfindit
Guru

Xianity vs Christianity

Post #1

Post by fewwillfindit »

I am not sure if this is the proper subforum in which to be raising this issue, and I hope that I am not overstepping my bounds in doing so. I've noticed the term "Xian" being applied to Christians in various threads. It is not my intention to call out any specific individual or individuals.

I consider Xian to be a pejorative term, and I think that it is disrespectful. We do have a name by which we are called, and that is, "Christian." I am stating the obvious here, but the term means, "of Christ." We are not "of X," and we do not worship a Savior called X. We worship Christ.

To call it Xianity is to imply that the name of the One after Whom it is named isn't even worthy of mention. This also implies that He is just one of a plethora of various flavors of gods from which to choose, and ours just happens to be god-X. I understand that many promote the latter viewpoint, but Christians to not.

I would request that it become a forum-wide rule, that satirization of the names of various religions or non-religions that are represented on this forum should not be allowed, in light of the primary thrust of this forum, which is "civil and engaging debate."

After all, it would be disrespectful for theists to go around applying satirical monikers to non-theists. Instead, we call them non-theists, because that is what they choose to be called. I would ask for the same level of respect.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Re: Xianity vs Christianity

Post #31

Post by fewwillfindit »

Goat wrote:
fewwillfindit wrote:I am not sure if this is the proper subforum in which to be raising this issue, and I hope that I am not overstepping my bounds in doing so. I've noticed the term "Xian" being applied to Christians in various threads. It is not my intention to call out any specific individual or individuals.

I consider Xian to be a pejorative term, and I think that it is disrespectful. We do have a name by which we are called, and that is, "Christian." I am stating the obvious here, but the term means, "of Christ." We are not "of X," and we do not worship a Savior called X. We worship Christ.

To call it Xianity is to imply that the name of the One after Whom it is named isn't even worthy of mention. This also implies that He is just one of a plethora of various flavors of gods from which to choose, and ours just happens to be god-X. I understand that many promote the latter viewpoint, but Christians to not.
The "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χ�ιστός, translated as "Christ".

So, from a historical point of view, it is not being disrespectful.
Cnorman18 wrote:The "X" is not the English X, for "unknown," but the Greek X, the letter chi; the first letter of Christos, Christ.
fewwillfindit wrote:You and I are familiar enough with Greek to know that the Greek letter X is equivalent to the English letter "c," and that the Greek word, Χ�ιστιανν, is transliterated as christianon, and is the English word Christian.
Yep. Charles and I already discussed this on page one.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Darias
Guru

Post #32

Post by Darias »

cnorman18 wrote:
fewwillfindit wrote:I am not sure if this is the proper subforum in which to be raising this issue, and I hope that I am not overstepping my bounds in doing so. I've noticed the term "Xian" being applied to Christians in various threads. It is not my intention to call out any specific individual or individuals.

I would request that it become a forum-wide rule, that satirization of the names of various religions or non-religions that are represented on this forum should not be allowed, in light of the primary thrust of this forum, which is "civil and engaging debate."

After all, it would be disrespectful for theists to go around applying satirical monikers to non-theists. Instead, we call them non-theists, because that is what they choose to be called. I would ask for the same level of respect.
I hate to correct you, but on this issue I have to. I've seen this argument before, but it normally arises over the use of "Xmas" for "Christmas." I'm frankly surprised to see it on the use of "Xian" for "Christian." Neither usage is disrespectful. Some nonChristians may intend it to be, but the joke is on them; "Xian" has a long and honorable history among Christians themselves.

The "X" is not the English X, for "unknown," but the Greek X, the letter chi; the first letter of Christos, Christ. It’s also found as the second letter of Ichthus, the Greek word for “fish,� which is commonly seen written in the crude fish-symbol that was the earliest emblem of Christians. It's an early acronym for Iesous Christos, Theou Uios, Soter, or "Jesus the Christ, of God the Son, Savior."

I first saw “Xian� on the chalkboard at Perkins School of Theology, written by a professor of theology who was also an ordained Methodist minister. He laughed at the raised eyebrows and told us that it’s a common abbreviation for “Christian� and is not at all disrespectful. I’ve also seen it used by the Episcopal Bishop of Texas back in the 60s. In informal religious conversation, it’s quite proper. Honestly, I haven't seen it in any other context except among my fellow ministers since seminary, and I was a little surprised to see it here; but I took it for granted as a proper abbreviation when I did. As far as I'm concerned, those who wish to be disrespectful to Christianity or Christians will have to find another way.

Edited to add: Another fact that also makes "Xian" a perfectly proper and respectable, not to mention respectful, abbreviation for "Christian" is worth noting: the letter X is also itself a "cross," and that is not a trivial coincidence. At one time an X was called "Christ-cross," pronounced "crisscross" (compare the pronunciation of "Christmas"), a word that is still used for a crosshatched pattern.

For etymological trivia fans like me: When entering the US at Ellis Island in years past, Jewish immigrants who were illiterate in English declined to "make their marks" on documents with the customary witnessed X, but preferred to make a circle in order to avoid using a Christian symbol. The old Yiddish word for "circle" was kikel, which explains the origin of "kike," a pejorative word for Jews that is still seen on antisemitic websites and in the mouths of bigots as an ethnic slur for "Jew."

My mother dropped me on my head when I was little. I love this stuff.

I don't know about you, but speaking as a Christian, I have always found the term "Xian" to be immature and disrespectful. I've seen people use it; and the people who normally spell it that way also happen to slander the faith frequently and completely -- at least in my experience.

'Christian' is the proper English term for a follower of Christ.

'Xian' is a town in China.

When I refer to Jewish people, I call them Jews, not "Juden" or "Jo0s" or "God's favorites."

When I refer to Atheists, I always spell it properly and try to capitalize it whenever possible, just as a sign of respect. :wave:

Or I could just use the terms: "@heist" "infidel" "unbeliever" "lost" "goat" or ("fool" as the Bible describes it.) But this would be uncivil and I have no intention of using such language.

If you're addressing me and referring to my faith, please use the term "Christian" or don't talk to me. I have no time for mockery.

If you call me a Xian, don't expect a fortune cookie -- and don't expect a reply either.

otseng
Savant

Post #33

Post by otseng »

Moderator comment and warning:

I do not see it necessary to prohibit the use of "Xian" on the forum. But, the issue for me is not whether one is trying to save some time typing (which is a dubious reason to me), but the intent behind the usage of the term. And the following comments reveal a lack in civility and respect that is expected on this forum:

Ooberman wrote:That is does piss off jerks is just a bonus.

Look, i'm not trying to blow smoke up your ass about why I use it.

am I supposed to refrain from saying anything the Taliban-like zealot is offended by?

Please abide by the rules and do try to control your language.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by McCulloch »

I cannot say that I've ever noticed this abbreviation used on this forum, but maybe I wasn't looking. I personally try to refer to any identified group of people the way they refer to themselves or wish to be referred to. I apologize for the times that I may have gotten it wrong.

For the record, I have seen the abbreviations, Xn and Xnity, for Christian and Christianity, in the writings and notes of Christians. It is an abbreviation, no insult was intended.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #35

Post by flitzerbiest »

My son is named Christian. We abbreviate his name as Xian all the time. My wife, who is a devoted Christian herself, started the pattern. I see nothing pejorative about "Xian", although when I call him "Noodlehead", he might have a gripe.

Might this not be a case of seeing persecution because one wants to?

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #36

Post by fewwillfindit »

flitzerbiest wrote:Might this not be a case of seeing persecution because one wants to?
Well, as I have said, initially I didn't want to name names, but since Ooberman entered the thread with his vitriol, coming out so to speak, I revealed that he is the one to whom I was referring. Since we have seen his distaste for Christianity manifest during this discourse, I think I have demonstrated that mine was not a case of having a persecution complex.

Darias
Guru

Post #37

Post by Darias »

fewwillfindit wrote:
flitzerbiest wrote:Might this not be a case of seeing persecution because one wants to?
Well, as I have said, initially I didn't want to name names, but since Ooberman entered the thread with his vitriol, coming out so to speak, I revealed that he is the one to whom I was referring. Since we have seen his distaste for Christianity manifest during this discourse, I think I have demonstrated that mine was not a case of having a persecution complex.
Persecution complex? :hahano:

Come on guys.

Here's another analogy for why I don't like the term "Xian."

I liken it to the word "Negro"

Now, Negro, in and of itself, is not racist or insulting. It was actually used frequently in the past, just as easily as we would say 'black' or 'African American' today. It is nor ever was the "N" word. African Americans even used it to refer to their community. There are even things like "The United Negro College Fund.," etc.

Now, I don't know of many people who would walk up to a black guy and say "what's up negro?" Why? Because that comes across as racist.

"Negro" is older terminology. When learning about the history of black people in America or whatever, it's called African Studies, or African-American History -- not "Negro Studies."

Using the word "negro" in any setting today, whether its intended to be insulting or not -- and despite the fact that it is indeed quicker to type than "African American" -- that doesn't make it okay to use it, especially if it ticks people off.

====

Now, I'm not saying that it's racists to use "Xian," I'm just saying that I find it immature and extremely annoying.

And This is because the only people I've ever seen use it are usually stereotyping, slandering, or mocking Christianity and its followers.

Ann
Student

Post #38

Post by Ann »

“X� in American culture does not have the same meanings or connotations as the Greek word for Christ, which is represented by XP (Chi-Rho), the first two letters of the Greek word. It is a fact that most people are not learned in the Greek language and are, therefore, ignorant of the Greek word or letters which represent the name of Christ.

It must be pointed out that Christians have never referred to themselves as “x-ians.�

Many people who refer to Christians as “x-ians� will openly admit that they do it out of disrespect for [Christ] Christianity. Therefore, to falsely claim that most non-Christian-individuals who refer to Christians as “x-ians� are not being disrespectful in there intentions is simply incorrect.

fewwillfindit wrote:Christmas was an invention of Catholics, not the Bible, and was a successful attempt to enmesh Christianity with existing pagan tradition and ritual.
To state that Christmas is nothing more than a Catholic “invention� is simplistic and grossly ignorant. What is Christmas, really? It is man’s way of celebrating and, thereby, giving thanks to God for giving us sinners His Son. He came to earth as an infant (born of Mary, ever Virgin) for one purpose –to redeem sinners. As Christians we are joyful of God’s gift to mankind. We show that joy by setting aside one special day to remember and celebrate that birth of our Savior. This is called Christmas. Just as a person who loves his parents or his children celebrates their birthdays, in whatever way they mark that day, Christians celebrate the birth of their Savior whom they love on a day set aside to do just that. It is not that they do not love Him every day, or are not joyful of God’s gift of His son every day, but they mark their love on a particular day called Christmas.

Therefore, your assertion is nothing more than a feeble attempt to distort the truth of Christ’s Holy Church by espousing Christmas to be an “invention� of Catholics.

Ann
“Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition were reduced to a handful, they would be the true Church.� Saint Athanasius

“So that all, making use of the rule of faith, with the assistance of Christ, may be able to recognize more easily the Catholic truth in the midst of the darkness of so many errors.� Pope Pius IV, Council of Trent

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Ooberman »

flitzerbiest wrote:

My son is named Christian. We abbreviate his name as Xian all the time. My wife, who is a devoted Christian herself, started the pattern. I see nothing pejorative about "Xian", although when I call him "Noodlehead", he might have a gripe.

Might this not be a case of seeing persecution because one wants to?
Bingo!

BTW, i might point out the absurd hypocrisy. Jews, which there are a few on this forum, often spell "God" "G-d". Muslims, which there are a few on this forum, refer to Mohammad with the PBUH suffix.

I don't see our good, sensitive, loving Xians respecting their wishes. In fact, one must take it as an affront from them since they not only ignore these conventions, but reject their religious mores and beliefs! They don't even try to convert!

How rude!

Let's face it, not everyone holds dear what another does. Just as I am expected to respect the Xians feelings, what about they respecting mine? They don't own Jesus, the Xian heritage, the Bible or Yahweh. It is as much my tradition as theirs. If I want to refer to Jesus as Yeshua, Jesus, or J-C is up to me. It is MY heritage too.

Remember, they don't own it, it is part of our collective human history, and it is just as much my right to abbreviate, refer or view the religion and history as I see fit.

Again, and it's sad that I need to defend myself against people implying that I am lying: it is easier to type "Xian". When I type out "Christian", I have to move my fingers in an awkward way that usually means I have to delete and respell a few times for one word. Since I type fast, try to think as I type, and am particular about my spelling - and use the term often, it is more important for me to express my thought than worrying about a minority of Xians who are sensitive to the issue.

I resent people suggesting I have other motives. That is offensive, but I am not asking them to change their words, as they are asking me to change mine.

Of course, I could go back to spelling Christianity as Christinanity. Is that better?

(Get it? Christ-inanity. Very clever, huh? But I don't. I spell it "Xianity")

Ann: how about not judging the motives of others?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Ann
Student

Post #40

Post by Ann »

Ooberman wrote:Ann: how about not judging the motives of others?
Don’t you think, perhaps, you are being a bit paranoid? I believe you’ve made your reason for using “x-ian� quite clear. However, you continue to be very defensive. Why? Please explain how my prior post was “judging the motives of others,� as you say.

Ann
“Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition were reduced to a handful, they would be the true Church.� Saint Athanasius

“So that all, making use of the rule of faith, with the assistance of Christ, may be able to recognize more easily the Catholic truth in the midst of the darkness of so many errors.� Pope Pius IV, Council of Trent