Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

WinePusher
Scholar

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post #1

Post by WinePusher »

Anyone seen it? Is it as good as the critics are making it out to be?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

[Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]

I'll tell it - I find the entire Star Wars franchise to be a plodding, boring mess. I saw that first'n, and swore I'd never see the next'n.

Like the Bible.

Don't wanna hate - y'all that love it, well I love y'all for it, I just can't get it. Seems I can't suspend my beliefs, or disbeliefs about it.

Now, Game of Thrones, well you shut your mouth! I don't get that either. I can't get my own fascination with it - I don't normally dig the genre - maybe it's pretty chicks nekkid. 'Cause ya know, nekkid pretty chicks.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

jeager106
Scholar

Post #3

Post by jeager106 »

I liked the flick.
Go see it.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

I had mixed reactions about it. I loved that it was a salute to the original Star Wars movie. However there were a couple of things that I felt let down about. But I don't want to put spoilers down here.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Well, I loved it. I know some people did not like it, but I really did. Mind you, I am a trekkie far more than I am a SW fan. I could take or leave the original star wars movies.

But this one? I just loved it. There are specific reasons for my loving it, but I too do not want to put out any spoilers.

No nekked pretty chicks though, sorry Joey. At least not that I can remember ; )

Peace!

help3434
Guru

Post #6

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by WinePusher]

I really liked it but it is very derivative of A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. Hopefully now that they have established that this new trilogy will be more like the original trilogy than the bad prequel trilogy Disney will have more confidence to tell their own story for the next installment.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

WinePusher wrote: Anyone seen it? Is it as good as the critics are making it out to be?
None of the Star wars films have ever been as fresh and exciting as the first one. I doubt that any new film will ever be able to capture that sort of magic again. With that said, the new Star Wars film is worth seeing, if for no other reason than the joy of rediscovering Han Solo and Chewbacca all over again. The entire audience cheered when they first turned up.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

help3434
Guru

Post #8

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 7 by Tired of the Nonsense]

The Empire Strikes Back is better than the first one. I would rank The Force Awakens as third best and Return of the Jedi as fourth best.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Tired of the Nonsense]

The Empire Strikes Back is better than the first one. I would rank The Force Awakens as third best and Return of the Jedi as fourth best.
I would reverse your third and fourth.. the problem with The Force Awakens is that it basically was a repeat of the first trilogy. It was giving nods to fandom, but there was very little NEW in it. The graphics were slicker, and it gives hints of going beyond where it went before.

The 'episodes 1 to 3' where pretty bad though.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

memyselfandI

Post #10

Post by memyselfandI »

J.J. Abramms has successfully defended his crown as the worst makers of films that refresh old ideas and even worst is his attempts to revive past glories.

He absolutely devastated Star Trek. All he did to the second one is to remake one of the best Star Trek movies of all time and do a 180 on Spock and Kirk as who died in the end.

This new Star Wars is much to long to leave you hanging as it did. I guess this guy is trying to copy the three movie thing that started with The Lord of the Rings.

They seem to have revived the story of a fathers redemption(Darth Vader) at the hands of his son(Luke Skywalker) and put a twist in it. they start with an evil Jedi that was trained by Luke before turning to the dark side. He then kills his father(Hon Solo) in the movie and the heroine is a 20 year old girl whose an orphan, but she hugged Leigha after returning from where solo was killed, so I would lay money that she is the daughter of Hon and leigha who left her somewhere for her safety and in the end of this escapade she will turn her brother, the evil Jedi back to the good side.

I don't think I will be paying to see the rest of this movie, when it comes out.

I know there will be some here who think I've just spoiled a movie, but If you take in the cost of tickets, food and drinks times the number of people going, plus the inconvenience of going out and finding a parking space that you will have to remember on that walk of disappointment you will take after enduring this junk, you will in the end, thank me for it.