Preamble
Genesis 2–3 is often treated as the foundation for explaining the Fall and the need for Christ’s death. But does the text itself actually establish those Christian claims?
The narrative leaves numerous important questions unanswered, including motivations, meanings, timing, consequences, and what actually occurred. These gaps require readers to supply assumptions that the text itself never states.
The Bible itself contains multiple theological interpretations of Genesis 2–3, representing later religious assumptions and beliefs that are not part of the original text.
If Genesis 2–3 cannot establish original sin, inherited guilt, or humanity’s need for redemption, then it cannot independently tell us why Christ’s death was necessary.
My argument is not that Genesis 2–3 is historically or literally worthless. Rather, I am questioning its usefulness as evidence for determining whether Christianity’s theological explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Definitions
1. Theological interpretation: A religious explanation or understanding assigned to a biblical passage.
2. Original text: What the biblical passage actually says, without later interpretations added to it.
3. Religious assumptions: Beliefs accepted without being explicitly established by the biblical text.
4. Evidence: Information or facts used to support or evaluate whether a claim is true.
Relevant Biblical Passages
Genesis 2:17
“But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
Genesis 3:7
“Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”
Genesis 3:22
“And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:”
Genesis 3:24
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
Argument
P1: Genesis 2–3 does not explicitly establish the theological claims later used to explain Christ’s death.
P2: Claims requiring additional unstated assumptions cannot establish their theological conclusions.
C: Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13732
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #11I don't think it is an interpretation, when it can be seen it happened, they believed the serpent instead of the God, which means they rejected God. How could they have done it, without rejecting the God?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Wed Sep 16, 2026 11:49 am [Replying to 1213 in post #7]
...The actual text never states that Adam and Eve rejected God.
...
It shows they did so by believing the serpent instead of God.
You’re presenting your interpretation as though the text itself says it, but it don't.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #12[Replying to 1213 in post #11]
You seem to be disputing that what you "see" when you read the story is not an interpretation of the story.
I think we are discussing if an interpretation is identical to what is being interpreted.
We have a story.
We have ideas about what the story means.
Here is my definition of the term "literary interpretation":
In literary criticism, an interpretation is a reasoned explanation of what a text means, suggests, implies, or is doing.
Do you believe that the story and our explanation of the story are identical?
____________________________________________You’re presenting your interpretation as though the text itself says it, but it don't.
I don't think it is an interpretation, when it can be seen it happened, they believed the serpent instead of the God, which means they rejected God.
You seem to be disputing that what you "see" when you read the story is not an interpretation of the story.
I think we are discussing if an interpretation is identical to what is being interpreted.
We have a story.
We have ideas about what the story means.
Here is my definition of the term "literary interpretation":
In literary criticism, an interpretation is a reasoned explanation of what a text means, suggests, implies, or is doing.
Do you believe that the story and our explanation of the story are identical?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #13[Replying to 1213 in post #11]
I think you want me to speculate from my secular perspective as to how they could have disobeyed God while still accepting him as their Lord and Master.
1. They could disobey God without conceptually rejecting him.
2. They could distrust God's warning without denying his existence.
3. They could prioritize the serpent's claim over God's command.
4. They could act impulsively without fully understanding the moral significance.
5. “Rejecting God” is itself an interpretation, not wording found in Genesis.
____________________________
As a purely secular person, I could also be a bit more whimsical in my speculations:
1. An alien in the form of a snake convinced them God was lying.
2. Fairies controlled their minds so that they would believe God was harmless and didn't really mean what he said.
3. The snake was actually Satan and this was all about a bet like in Job. The all knowing God didn't know how Adam and Eve would do in their test, and who would win the bet.
4. They misunderstood God’s command because they were naked at the time.
5. They thought the serpent outranked God and knew better than God
6. They simply got curious and took the risk for fun.
Speculations are really easy for those of us who have an active imagination and we usually aren't stuck with just one.
I presented you with more than 10.
Feel free to dispute them all with me.
How could they have done it, without rejecting the God?
I think you want me to speculate from my secular perspective as to how they could have disobeyed God while still accepting him as their Lord and Master.
1. They could disobey God without conceptually rejecting him.
2. They could distrust God's warning without denying his existence.
3. They could prioritize the serpent's claim over God's command.
4. They could act impulsively without fully understanding the moral significance.
5. “Rejecting God” is itself an interpretation, not wording found in Genesis.
____________________________
As a purely secular person, I could also be a bit more whimsical in my speculations:
1. An alien in the form of a snake convinced them God was lying.
2. Fairies controlled their minds so that they would believe God was harmless and didn't really mean what he said.
3. The snake was actually Satan and this was all about a bet like in Job. The all knowing God didn't know how Adam and Eve would do in their test, and who would win the bet.
4. They misunderstood God’s command because they were naked at the time.
5. They thought the serpent outranked God and knew better than God
6. They simply got curious and took the risk for fun.
Speculations are really easy for those of us who have an active imagination and we usually aren't stuck with just one.
I presented you with more than 10.
Feel free to dispute them all with me.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13732
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #14Sorry, I think it was the same as rejecting God, because you offer no good reason to think otherwise.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 am [Replying to 1213 in post #11]
I think you want me to speculate from my secular perspective as to how they could have disobeyed God while still accepting him as their Lord and Master.How could they have done it, without rejecting the God?
1. They could disobey God without conceptually rejecting him.
2. They could distrust God's warning without denying his existence.
3. They could prioritize the serpent's claim over God's command.
4. They could act impulsively without fully understanding the moral significance.
5. “Rejecting God” is itself an interpretation, not wording found in Genesis...
You are naked under your clothes, so that explains why you don't understand?Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 am4. They misunderstood God’s command because they were naked at the time.
All of them show only different reasons for rejecting God, not that they did not reject God.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 amI presented you with more than 10.
Feel free to dispute them all with me.
I don't claim the text says "they rejected". I say, the Bible tells they believed the serpent instead of the God, which I think is the same as rejecting God's words, which is the same as rejecting the God.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:40 am [Replying to 1213 in post #11]
____________________________________________You’re presenting your interpretation as though the text itself says it, but it don't.
I don't think it is an interpretation, when it can be seen it happened, they believed the serpent instead of the God, which means they rejected God.
You seem to be disputing that what you "see" when you read the story is not an interpretation of the story....
Is it not true in your opinion that they they believed serpent instead of the God?
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #15[Replying to 1213 in post #14]
You asked for reasons that aren't about rejecting God, and I offered a few.
You don't think that my reasons are "good".
I'm curious.. can you elaborate on why my reasons aren't "good"?
____________________________________How could they have done it, without rejecting the God?
I think you want me to speculate from my secular perspective as to how they could have disobeyed God while still accepting him as their Lord and Master.
1. They could disobey God without conceptually rejecting him.
2. They could distrust God's warning without denying his existence.
3. They could prioritize the serpent's claim over God's command.
4. They could act impulsively without fully understanding the moral significance.
5. “Rejecting God” is itself an interpretation, not wording found in Genesis...
Sorry, I think it was the same as rejecting God, because you offer no good reason to think otherwise.
You asked for reasons that aren't about rejecting God, and I offered a few.
You don't think that my reasons are "good".
I'm curious.. can you elaborate on why my reasons aren't "good"?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #16[Replying to 1213 in post #14]
I wasn't talking about me.
I was talking about Adam and Eve.
____________________________________Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 am
4. They misunderstood God’s command because they were naked at the time.
You are naked under your clothes, so that explains why you don't understand?
I wasn't talking about me.
I was talking about Adam and Eve.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #17[Replying to 1213 in post #14]
Please elaborate on why you imagine that my examples "show" that they reject God.
_______________________________Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 am
I presented you with more than 10.
Feel free to dispute them all with me.
All of them show only different reasons for rejecting God, not that they did not reject God.
Please elaborate on why you imagine that my examples "show" that they reject God.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
BruceLeiter
- Sage
- Posts: 600
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2025 3:39 pm
- Been thanked: 16 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #18[Replying to Ray the atheist in post #1]
The Bible as a whole is God-inspired, @Ray the atheist, as it claims to be:
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Therefore, since it progressively reveals the truth, we must use the rest of Scripture to help us understand Genesis 1-3 more fully. The Bible clearly gives us its meaning. Therefore, the theological understandings based solely on the Bible help us in our interpretation.
However, I suspect that you have raised this issue to plant seeds of doubt in believers. Am I correct or not? If not, then I apologize for my thought.
The Bible as a whole is God-inspired, @Ray the atheist, as it claims to be:
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Therefore, since it progressively reveals the truth, we must use the rest of Scripture to help us understand Genesis 1-3 more fully. The Bible clearly gives us its meaning. Therefore, the theological understandings based solely on the Bible help us in our interpretation.
However, I suspect that you have raised this issue to plant seeds of doubt in believers. Am I correct or not? If not, then I apologize for my thought.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #19[Replying to BruceLeiter in post #18]
This is a very common Christian claim.
I think it's foundational to Christianity and if it isn't true, then Christianity can't be true.
A lot rides on the question for billions of people.
I would expect the most convincing evidence for the claim.
If not, then, well.... here comes the word: FAITH.
It seems to me that Christians rely solely on faith. The evidence that they provide for their most important claims all need justification.. like the one you just used.
You are trying to defend what the bible says by quoting the bible.
That can't work.
Lets use an example from another very popular series of books:
I can quote from the Harry Potter where it shows that magic is real. But the quote only proves that the book shows that magic is real. It does not prove that magic is actually real.
I'm pretty sure that you don't believe that the magic described in the Harry Potter series is real just because it's depicted that way.
The same reasoning applies to the Bible.
Quoting the Bible saying it is God-inspired only proves that the Bible says it is God-inspired. It does not prove that the Bible actually is God-inspired.
Other than what the bible says, is there any other reason for skeptics to believe that a god they don't believe in inspired all the authors of the collection of books called the Bible?
In other words, is your only criteria for the truth of the claim in a book?
_______________________________________The Bible as a whole is God-inspired, @Ray the atheist, as it claims to be:
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Therefore, since it progressively reveals the truth, we must use the rest of Scripture to help us understand Genesis 1-3 more fully. The Bible clearly gives us its meaning. Therefore, the theological understandings based solely on the Bible help us in our interpretation.
This is a very common Christian claim.
I think it's foundational to Christianity and if it isn't true, then Christianity can't be true.
A lot rides on the question for billions of people.
I would expect the most convincing evidence for the claim.
If not, then, well.... here comes the word: FAITH.
It seems to me that Christians rely solely on faith. The evidence that they provide for their most important claims all need justification.. like the one you just used.
You are trying to defend what the bible says by quoting the bible.
That can't work.
Lets use an example from another very popular series of books:
I can quote from the Harry Potter where it shows that magic is real. But the quote only proves that the book shows that magic is real. It does not prove that magic is actually real.
I'm pretty sure that you don't believe that the magic described in the Harry Potter series is real just because it's depicted that way.
The same reasoning applies to the Bible.
Quoting the Bible saying it is God-inspired only proves that the Bible says it is God-inspired. It does not prove that the Bible actually is God-inspired.
Other than what the bible says, is there any other reason for skeptics to believe that a god they don't believe in inspired all the authors of the collection of books called the Bible?
In other words, is your only criteria for the truth of the claim in a book?
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13732
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #20As I said before, rejecting God's word is the same as rejecting the God. If one believes someone else rather than God, he has rejected God.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2026 11:52 am [Replying to 1213 in post #14]
_______________________________Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Thu Sep 17, 2026 9:58 am
I presented you with more than 10.
Feel free to dispute them all with me.
All of them show only different reasons for rejecting God, not that they did not reject God.
Please elaborate on why you imagine that my examples "show" that they reject God.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html

