For 3'5billion years life has existed on this rock we call earth.
For 3.5billion years every single one of those lives has DIED (sans current).
2000yrs ago according to some people everything changed, some don't die.
For the last 2000yrs every living thing has still died.
Which reality are you prepared to accept?
That is the question.
3.5billion yrs
Moderator: Moderators
3.5billion yrs
Post #1I'll tell you everything I've learned...................
and LOVE is all he said
-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.
and LOVE is all he said
-The Boy With The Moon and Star On His Head-Cat Stevens.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #21ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".
Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #22Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #23AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #24Now it's time for you to elucidate. When I said "...if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?" and you answered "I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.", how is that an answer?AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #25[mindblowing]... [/mindblown]connermt wrote:AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?Really?!?
![]()
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
So you believe in a root cause for the universe? That something caused everything?
Do tell...
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #261) I never made that claim &AdHoc wrote:[mindblowing]... [/mindblown]connermt wrote:AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?Really?!?
![]()
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
So you believe in a root cause for the universe? That something caused everything?
Do tell...
2) it has nothing to do with the topic. Therefore, you're free to create a new topic where you can explore that issue.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #27Ahhh, ok so we agree atheists believe 0+0+0+0+...= everythingconnermt wrote:1) I never made that claim &AdHoc wrote:[mindblowing]... [/mindblown]connermt wrote:AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?Really?!?
![]()
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
So you believe in a root cause for the universe? That something caused everything?
Do tell...
2) it has nothing to do with the topic. Therefore, you're free to create a new topic where you can explore that issue.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #28Some may, though I never made that claim. You did, which I disagree with in total.AdHoc wrote:Ahhh, ok so we agree atheists believe 0+0+0+0+...= everythingconnermt wrote:1) I never made that claim &AdHoc wrote:[mindblowing]... [/mindblown]connermt wrote:AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?Really?!?
![]()
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
So you believe in a root cause for the universe? That something caused everything?
Do tell...
2) it has nothing to do with the topic. Therefore, you're free to create a new topic where you can explore that issue.
Now address the other issue
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #29Is it just me or are you being really evasive?connermt wrote:Some may, though I never made that claim. You did, which I disagree with in total.AdHoc wrote:Ahhh, ok so we agree atheists believe 0+0+0+0+...= everythingconnermt wrote:1) I never made that claim &AdHoc wrote:[mindblowing]... [/mindblown]connermt wrote:AdHoc wrote:Ok so we do agree?connermt wrote:ObviouslyAdHoc wrote:I thought the answer was 13.7 billion but I admit I'm no expert.connermt wrote:Your view of atheism is much different than the one I'm familiar with. Besides that, if what you say is true, that doesn't excuse the same within christainity, now does it?AdHoc wrote: [Replying to connermt]
Haha and if atheism said 0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else... Pardon? What's that you say?
APPARENTLY that is what atheism says.
Ok I need to come up with something more ridiculous to make my point... I'll let you know if I think of something.
To help you out, the answer is "NO".Someone who doesn't believe in a deity. In this case, God.I would love to hear your view of atheism and how it differs from mine.
That definition has nothing to do with believing as you point out.
I fear you may have missed my question? You said my view of atheism was much different than yours and then I said I would love to hear specifically how your view differs from mine.
Would you please elucidate?Really?!?
![]()
My definition, as indicated above, has nothing to do with "...0+0+0+0+... = coconuts and spiders and everything else [sans god]" which you claim it does here: "APPARENTLY that is what atheism says."
I can't make it any more clear than that.
So you believe in a root cause for the universe? That something caused everything?
Do tell...
2) it has nothing to do with the topic. Therefore, you're free to create a new topic where you can explore that issue.
Now address the other issue
You took issue with my statement but you won't clarify your position on whether something or nothing caused everything?
I have to tell you I feel like I'm being tied in knots by you and it isn't much fun.
You want me to explain that I believe an uncaused personal God outside of time and space created everything? Sure thats what I believe and thats commonly understood that christians believe that on faith and that we can't prove it or explain how God can be infinite with no beginning or end. There it is. Touche and tu quo que and all that good stuff...
But if there is an atheist on this planet that believes something caused everything I would be really surprised. That would be extraordinary. If that's your opinion I am dying to hear more about it.
Re: 3.5billion yrs
Post #30Good evening ad hoc,AdHoc wrote: Is it just me or are you being really evasive?
You took issue with my statement but you won't clarify your position on whether something or nothing caused everything?
I have to tell you I feel like I'm being tied in knots by you and it isn't much fun.
You want me to explain that I believe an uncaused personal God outside of time and space created everything? Sure thats what I believe and thats commonly understood that christians believe that on faith and that we can't prove it or explain how God can be infinite with no beginning or end. There it is. Touche and tu quo que and all that good stuff...
But if there is an atheist on this planet that believes something caused everything I would be really surprised. That would be extraordinary. If that's your opinion I am dying to hear more about it.
In response to your query, yes, it is just you. The clear alternative, mentioned multiple times by your respondent, is that it is you who is being dilatory. Other than a detailed dissection of its incoherence, I am unsure what response you were expecting from your respondent, but I can't see it advancing a conversation.
But in hopes of bridging this divide, allow me to do the honors, noting that your statement, "0+0+ ... = everything," has at least two irreparably fatal flaws. The first, of course, is that "everything" is not a number, and so has no place in a mathematical equation involving any finite or infinite sum of numbers. Conversely, there is a second insuperable flaw, that "0" does not model any actual thing in the actual universe.
Numbers are mathematical concepts which "exist" only in the ontological sense of a Platonic ideal. Though quite useful on those occasions when they can be used to model a physical quantity or process, they are not the quantity or process. Their applicability to any quantity or process must be first demonstrated, then used, not merely asserted, and certainly not asserted incoherently as another's position with requests, let alone demands that the assertions be taken seriously.
As ever, Jesse
(Mathemagician)
There is no lao tzu.


