Can "God die"?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Can "God die"?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Preacher said, "God died for your sins".

For the purposes of this forum, the OP is assuming for the sake of argument that God exists.

For debate, can God die?

Even for three days?

Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality?

And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Can "God die"?

Post #31

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

[Replying to post 29 by JP Cusick]

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
"Does God know that he is subject to your rules and proclamations? Just wondering."
JP Cusick wrote: The other way around.

I am one of those who are subject to God's rules and proclamations.
JP Cusic wrote:
"Just for the record - if the Father were ever to sin then that sin would cause God to die, and that is why the Father can never sin, and God does not sin."

Where exactly does the Bible tell us this? And if the Bible DOES NOT tell us this, you must have simply made it up and declared it to be true.

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
"But of course, if God does it then it cannot be considered a sin. Right?"
JPCusick wrote: That is correct, and a wise person sticks to that.

That is a fundamental principle.
So if you see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate. The Bible very specifically indicates that God was responsible for actions that put Him on a level with Stalin and Hitler. According to you the Bible must therefore be in error. If the Bible is in error, it is not trustworthy. If the Bible is not trustworthy, then you are free to make this stuff up all on your own. Is that about right?
JP Cusick wrote: What I reject is the double standard.

As like the USA is not viewed as evil or as sinning when we dropped incinerator bombs on Germany and dropped Atomic bombs on Japan and killed women and children with total disregard, and in fact we the USA are still doing the same kind of murder today in Syria and the middle east, so we are applying a double standard to God.
Let's consider the concept of "double standard" for a moment. The USA is not omnipotent and omniscient. If the USA were omnipotent and omniscient then events could always be handled in such a way as to avoid to sorts of actions taken in wartime. If the USA were omnipotent and omniscient there would never BE a wartime. But the USA is made up of mortal people who followed a very mortal course of action in wartime. Just as the Bible was written by mortal people. People who created an imaginary omnipotent and omniscient Being, and then supposed that He would necessarily commit the very mortal actions they found necessary to justify. Now THAT'S a double standard.
JP Cusick wrote: In the Bible it tells us that God kills people who are lost in their sins, they are hateful and cruel people and God puts an end to their misery, and so it can be viewed as mercy killing.

Then God needs to do His own dirty work and not lay the act of wholesale slaughter off on others. In fact, an omnipotent omniscient God would have arranged things in such a way so that no wholesale act of genocide would have been necessary. Poor planning produces poor proceedings. A major fax pas for an omnipotent omniscient Being it would seem. Unless of course observing the wholesale slaughter of children and babies was always part of His plan. He does seem to have a thing for blood, after all.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Willum
Savant

Post #32

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 31 by Tired of the Nonsense]
So if you see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.
This is,of course, not true.

When Eve, then Adam, ate from the tree, we were given the knowledge of good and evil.
So if we see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then we are quite correct.

It says so right in Genesis.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #33

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:So if you see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.
This is,of course, not true.

When Eve, then Adam, ate from the tree, we were given the knowledge of good and evil.
So if we see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then we are quite correct.

It says so right in Genesis.
What it really says in Genesis is that the knowledge of good and bad is poisoned knowledge and that we must shun it in order to be healthy or to be right.

The sly serpent said that it would make us humans as equal to God and the serpent was telling lies. See Genesis 3:4-5

All people must first unlearn the brainwashing before we can judge correctly.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

Willum
Savant

Post #34

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 33 by JP Cusick]

No, I was talking about what God said about the fruit.
There are quite a few people in the world descended from Eve, according to your religion.
A very great many of us find your God's acts sinful.

Why can we judge this to be true? Because God said so. Therefore God sinned, and if you are correct, died.

QED

That maybe what happened in the 1400's, Death and Satan tricked him into doing something nasty, and God died. Makes sense.

All you have to do is demonstrate otherwise. Easy task, it should be.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #35

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: No, I was talking about what God said about the fruit.
Quote of what the Bible really declares:

Genesis 2:16 ... God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
----

God said the knowledge was poisoned - so do not eat it.

People just go ahead and wallow in the sinful knowledge anyway, and people still today do it based on the same old lies told by the serpent. Genesis 3:4-5
Willum wrote: There are quite a few people in the world descended from Eve, according to your religion.
A very great many of us find your God's acts sinful.

Why can we judge this to be true? Because God said so. Therefore God sinned, and if you are correct, died.

QED
The entire world is deceived.

With a few exceptions - like salt - spread out here and there.
Willum wrote: That maybe what happened in the 1400's, Death and Satan tricked him into doing something nasty, and God died. Makes sense.

All you have to do is demonstrate otherwise. Easy task, it should be.
I have seen this said on this forum before about God dying in the 1400's and I know nothing about that nonsense.

I did look it up online and found the so called plague of the "Black Death" where many people died, and if that is what you mean then it is still just nonsense.

The sound principle needs to be applied:
If we see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.
SIGNATURE:

Willum
Savant

Post #36

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 35 by JP Cusick]

And what about that makes you think you have contradicted anything I have stated?

What was the name of the tree again?
Our ancestors, according to your religion, ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, therefore we know good and evil, right?:

Therefore I look upon God's works and find them evil, and evil is identified as sin, right?

Therefore QED, God sinned, and died, according to your own belief, right?
If we see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.
In the light of God's own word's this becomes not only a circular argument, but would be considered a juvenile joke in other subject matter.

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #37

Post by JP Cusick »

Willum wrote: Our ancestors, according to your religion, ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, therefore we know good and evil, right?:
No, it means that we ate poison and are on the road to death because of that poisoned knowledge.

We have a twisted and distorted view of the knowledge and ours is poison.

So no, humans do not have some healthy knowledge based on the poisoned knowledge as it does not work that way.

Humans thereby have a defect, and it is in our minds as poisoned knowledge.

We can not rob a Bank and then claim that the money is ours. No, no, no.
Willum wrote: Therefore I look upon God's works and find them evil, and evil is identified as sin, right?
No, to sin means to break a principle or a commandment or to violate a doctrine.

The knowledge of "good or bad ("evil" per KJV)" is to give opinions and judgments as to the quality of the action or of the person.

There is "right and wrong" which pertain to sin and sinning, while "good and bad" pertain to judgments and quality.

In example some believe that it is good to commit adultery in some cases - but still the adultery is always wrong.

Or some believe that it is bad to be honest or true in some cases - but the truth is always righteous.

Our human judgments based on that poisoned knowledge is always untrustable.
Willum wrote:
JP Cusick wrote:If we see or hear of anything that paints God as sinning then it must be wrong or inaccurate.
In the light of God's own word's this becomes not only a circular argument, but would be considered a juvenile joke in other subject matter.
No, the same principle holds true in other matters.

As like if we see or hear of anything that defies the laws of physics then it must be deemed as wrong or inaccurate.

It is a very real and sound principle.
SIGNATURE:

Willum
Savant

Post #38

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 37 by JP Cusick]
So no, humans do not have some healthy knowledge based on the poisoned knowledge as it does not work that way.
I am just going by what the Bible says, God said. I am not relying on a squirrelly interpretation, I don't see a need.

No, to sin means to break a principle or a commandment or to violate a doctrine.
In that case, God's sins are Legion.
The knowledge of "good or bad ("evil" per KJV)" is to give opinions and judgments as to the quality of the action or of the person.
In that case, God's quality is not wonderful.
There is "right and wrong" which pertain to sin and sinning, while "good and bad" pertain to judgments and quality.

In example some believe that it is good to commit adultery in some cases - but still the adultery is always wrong.
and now you have talked yourself into circles, and contradicted yourself.
No, God sinned, and according to you, RIP:
QED.
As like if we see or hear of anything that defies the laws of physics then it must be deemed as wrong or inaccurate.
That's a big negative, Ghost Rider - when the laws of physic are defied, such as by breaking the sound barrier, the photo-electric effect, and etc., it requires investigation. Unlike religion, which requires it being deemed wrong or inaccurate.

Declaring a circular and juvenile argument a sound principle, must be a new one.

God, circa 2000BC-1450, RIP.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by EduChris »

Elijah John wrote:...can God die? ...Doesn't that statement deny God's characteristic immortality? ...And don't such statements highlight the absurdity of believing that "Jesus is God"?
According to Christian thought, God entered into space and time in the human person of Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus suffered and died as a human, and then defeated death by coming back to physical life, thereby demonstrating the possibility that all humans might one day also return to a new kind of physical existence. Due to Christianity's unique trinitarian view of God, the human Jesus does not represent ALL that there is to God; therefore, while it would be accurate to say that the trinitarian God experienced suffering, death, and resurrection in the human person of Jesus, it would be inaccurate to claim that the trinitarian God died. Christian teaching never countenances the idea that "God the Father" or "God the Spirit" died; the only claim is that "God the human" suffered, died, and rose to a new form of physical existence that all humans might one day share.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

Willum
Savant

Post #40

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 39 by EduChris]

Most folks here understand Christian doctrine (not thought), and many reject it on assumption. God died for our sins, therefore God can die.

No and's if's or but's.

Perhaps it was the knowledge that he could die, that allowed him to be killed permanently?