Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

Who wrote the Gospels?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

Probably Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John... Peter probably wrote one too... He certainly wrote other Epistles. Likely? That he wrote about his experiences with Jesus in a Gospel? Very likely.

There very may be many more authentic Gospels in existence. We probably dont even know the half of the amount of documents that are written about Jesus.. But there are hundreds... And probably hundreds more...

How likely is it for Mark, Matthew, Luke, actually existing? Like real people? Its very likely....

How likely is it that at least some of these books where in collaboration with eyewitnesses testimony? Very likely

Far as im concerned, the best history we can research is the history of the Church and the Temple. The Jewish Temple all the way down to Jesus, and Jesus all the way up to our church today. Beginning right from its base... Jesus, and the Disciples, all the way up the line. Maybe some of the best history you can research

In fact, im going to Rome, in 3 Weeks, did you know the Church goes back to the First Century? It is the Vatican, it was biult on Peters Grave... It exists
Last edited by Tart on Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgh7

Post #51

Post by jgh7 »

Willum wrote:
You wish to ask who wrote the Gospels, but the answer we know for sure, the Counsil of Nicea is rejected by you.
The Council of Nicea occurred in 325AD. However there are texts before this referencing the Gospels.

Cyprian was a bishop of Carthage who lived from 200-258 AD. His most famous work is his treatise The Unity of the Church. In it, he uses numerous quotes from what I can only see as coming from the Gospels. Since he lived before the Council of Nicea and has quotes coming from the Gospel, I don't see how you can say that the council of Nicea is the one who wrote the Gospels.

Here is some excerpts from his treatise where you can see gospel quotes throughout them:

https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/s ... le/cyprian

Willum
Savant

Post #52

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 51 by jgh7]

I am sorry, I don't think that is what is says at all.
1. You need a much more credible source.
2. That may not be what is says at all.
3. No one can ever know what the whole documents, if they existed said.

They might just be fairy tales out of context.

jgh7

Post #53

Post by jgh7 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 51 by jgh7]

I am sorry, I don't think that is what is says at all.
1. You need a much more credible source.
2. That may not be what is says at all.
3. No one can ever know what the whole documents, if they existed said.

They might just be fairy tales out of context.
What do you not find credible? Do you deny that Cyprian existed or that he wrote The Unity of the Church?

Willum
Savant

Post #54

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 53 by jgh7]

That the Church destroyed any copies that may or may not have existed and left scraps, thay may or may not be Christianity.

Just because some madman existed, doesn't prove any miracle religion.

It does not disprove that they might just be fairy tales out of context.

jgh7

Post #55

Post by jgh7 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 53 by jgh7]

That the Church destroyed any copies that may or may not have existed and left scraps, thay may or may not be Christianity.

Just because some madman existed, doesn't prove any miracle religion.

It does not disprove that they might just be fairy tales out of context.
Ok, well I provided you with sources of a Christian citing gospel passages (as well as passages from Paul's letters) who existed before the Council of Nicea. I guess you're still entitled to hold on to your idea that the Council created the gospels.

FarWanderer
Guru

Re: Who wrote the Gospels?

Post #56

Post by FarWanderer »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]
There very may be many more authentic Gospels in existence. We probably dont even know the half of the amount of documents that are written about Jesus.. But there are hundreds... And probably hundreds more...
Not exactly a help to your argument that most were deemed unworthy of being Canon. Why so many divergent stories?
How likely is it for Mark, Matthew, Luke, actually existing? Like real people? Its very likely....
100% likely that whoever the authors known as Mark, Matthew, Luke and John were, they were real people. The Gospels didn't write themselves, after all. The big questions are when did they live and what were their sources?
How likely is it that at least some of these books where in collaboration with eyewitnesses testimony? Very likely
I personally find some details, such as Jesus being a carpenter, to be too idiosyncratic to be made up from whole cloth. But just having "some" amount of eyewitness collaboration doesn't say very much.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #57

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 55 by jgh7]
jgh7: "Ok, well I provided you with sources of a Christian citing gospel passages (as well as passages from Paul's letters) who existed before the Council of Nicea. I guess you're still entitled to hold on to your idea that the Council created the gospels."

Well the Council didn't created the gospels, but they certainly tossed out a lot of scripture the majority disagreed with. There was, for instance, a lot of disagreement in the early Christian movement about the nature of Jesus, as to whether he was divine, semi-divine, or human, a purely spiritual being who only appeared human, or a purely human prophet, or... The councils eventually compromised on a "Trinity" and declared it a mystery. You can't understand it so just believe and drop your drachmas in the collection plate. (As St. George Carlin remarked, God always seems to need money.)

:study:

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #58

Post by dianaiad »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 11:

Remember, Tart is on record as declaring to refuse supporting his claims, claims which had to be sent to Random Ramblings for his lack of any semblence of support.

Liars...

And preachers...
:warning: Moderator Warning

Joey, don't get personal. Talk about the content of the post, not the writer of it.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Kapyong
Banned
Banned

Post #59

Post by Kapyong »

Gday,
jgh7 wrote: Ok, well I provided you with sources of a Christian citing gospel passages (as well as passages from Paul's letters) who existed before the Council of Nicea. I guess you're still entitled to hold on to your idea that the Council created the gospels.
Willum has fixed views about the Council of Nicea and the Gospels.
Views that are wrong.

He has been shown wrong many times, but never changes his faulty opinion.

Kapyong

marco
Savant

Post #60

Post by marco »

Kapyong wrote: Gday,
jgh7 wrote: Ok, well I provided you with sources of a Christian citing gospel passages (as well as passages from Paul's letters) who existed before the Council of Nicea. I guess you're still entitled to hold on to your idea that the Council created the gospels.
Willum has fixed views about the Council of Nicea and the Gospels.
Views that are wrong.

He has been shown wrong many times, but never changes his faulty opinion.

Kapyong

Moderator Comment

This borders on being uncivil. It is best to comment on what has been said, not on the poster. There is no need to bring others into opinions you express.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.