Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Post #1

Post by Kir Komrik »

Hi all,
I'm new here and have just read up on the policies and finished my signature, etc. I hope I've done everything correctly so far.
I would like to believe in an almighty power but the problem is that in my research I've found so many gods out there. Coming from a family that has been explicitly atheist for generations, I'm starting from scratch and am looking at all religions.
I am sincerely curious to know how would I know, for instance, that your god is the one, true God?
Thank you.

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Post #31

Post by EduChris »

Kir Komrik wrote:...Changing the semantics to which "path" is the correct one doesn't change the intrinsic nature of the question...
You are assuming that there are multiple "Gods" from which you can choose a "correct" one. But none of today's major living traditions sees it in those terms. All of today's major world theisms agree that God is the not-less-than-personal source and fount of all possibility and all reality and all existence.

In other words, the very premise of your question is flawed. I am sure this is simply due to ignorance on your part, but if you're not willing to invest a small amount of time to investigate matters for yourself, there's no reason to suppose that an answer handed to you on a platter is ever going to be meaningful to you.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #32

Post by Kir Komrik »

but there is only Allah who sent books and prophets to humankind, i have never seen any other god sending books and prophets to humankind. when we see other gods sending books and prophets , and they preform extraordinary miracles like moses did with the sea, jesus did with the dead, and muhammed did with the moon.
Any number of adherents will say the same thing. How do I know which of you is right? That's the question. Its not a question of what does Islam claim, its a question of how do I know the claim is valid. Or, how do I know that your god is the one, true God?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #33

Post by Divine Insight »

Kir Komrik wrote: I only have this life. What if I spend this entire life and hear nothing?
What is it that you are expecting to hear?

Perhaps that's the problem?

You seem to be convinced that God is "Zeus-like". An external egotistical Godhead who has a completely independent persona and conscious awareness in a very individual and egotistical form, like the God of the ancient Greeks, Christians, or Muslims.

That is only one possible view of "God". It's also an extremely unlikely scenario.

From my perspective, you're just not considering alternative concepts of what "God" might actually be like.

If you're seeking an egotistical God who is actually going to speak to you from a burning bush or as a voice from a cloud, then I seriously doubt that you will ever find God. In fact, if you found that kind of a God in today's technological age I would suggest that you seriously question that it is most likely a hoax. ;)

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #34

Post by Kir Komrik »

Since no "God" can be messured and/or tested and/or be objectivly verifyed, since none has any emperical evedance of its existance - the answer would be: you can never, ever know what one (or ones) is the correct one. You have to base it totaly on faith, and faith alone.
This is something I can work with. Because this is what puzzles me as the next step in this process. If I conclude that I can't have an answer, then don't you find it not a little conspicuously specious that every single one of these religions rely on that faith to establish their god as the one, true god? In other words, doesn't it just smack of fraud?
And even if it didn't, this conclusion means I could never worship any god in confidence, so why bother? Given the innumerable number of religions out there, the odds that I just happened to snatch the right one is about nil.

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #35

Post by Kir Komrik »

You are assuming that there are multiple "Gods" from which you can choose a "correct" one.
No, I'm not. I'm basing it on the claims that religions themselves are making. It is the religions that are claiming hundreds of gods, not me. Thus all that follows in your post is moot.

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #36

Post by Kir Komrik »

What is it that you are expecting to hear?

Perhaps that's the problem?
I am not expecting to hear anything, trust me. It was the claim posted that suggested I should. So, no, its not the problem and all that follows is agian moot.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by EduChris »

Kir Komrik wrote:...I'm not looking to evaluate anything beyond the answer itself...
But you have no background information by which you could evaluate any answer.

Kir Komrik wrote:...any competent physicist could answer that immediately and provide the equations that justify its identification as the one, true Quantum Field Theory; assuming he really knows the answer...
Physicists cannot agree on which interpretation is correct. And even if one theory were to gain consensus, there is no way we could ever know that that interpretation (as opposed to some other, more comprehensive understanding) were actually correct.

Kir Komrik wrote:...a competent physicist could tell me exactly what areas in which I need competence to understand his or her answer...
The physicist would probably tell you to devote some time and effort to studying the issues for yourself.

Kir Komrik wrote:...I don't think the complexity of this question and answer is on a par with Quantum Field Theory...
Why not? What is your basis for such a claim?

Kir Komrik wrote:
EduChris wrote:...The one true God is the God who draws you to love your neighbor and to view yourself as a genuine agent of real change and transformation...
And who is that?...
There is only one God. All the major world theisms agree on this. So you can move on to the next question, as I suggested in my original post.

Kir Komrik wrote:...I've asked a sincere question...
No, your lack of sincerity is transparent. You are using a "gotcha question" as a ruse for justifying your non-theistic worldview. You are attempting to justify your own position on the basis of religious pluralism, when in fact pluralism is the unavoidable state of affairs in any area of human interest and endeavor.

No two non-theists will agree completely on anything (other than their common lack of personal belief in God). Shall we therefore determine that non-theism is ipso-facto false?
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

orthodox skeptic
Apprentice

Post #38

Post by orthodox skeptic »

Kir Komrik wrote: Hi all,
I'm new here and have just read up on the policies and finished my signature, etc. I hope I've done everything correctly so far.
I would like to believe in an almighty power but the problem is that in my research I've found so many gods out there. Coming from a family that has been explicitly atheist for generations, I'm starting from scratch and am looking at all religions.
I am sincerely curious to know how would I know, for instance, that your god is the one, true God?
Thank you.
To begin with, all gods are born of myth, legend and folklore; figments of vivid imaginations. With all do respect, your mom and pop in this case and, in most cases, know what's best! Be happy, don't worry.

ciko
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by ciko »

Kir Komrik wrote:
but there is only Allah who sent books and prophets to humankind, i have never seen any other god sending books and prophets to humankind. when we see other gods sending books and prophets , and they preform extraordinary miracles like moses did with the sea, jesus did with the dead, and muhammed did with the moon.
Any number of adherents will say the same thing. How do I know which of you is right? That's the question. Its not a question of what does Islam claim, its a question of how do I know the claim is valid. Or, how do I know that your god is the one, true God?
Any number of adherents will say the same thing. How do I know which of you is right? That's the question.
that question is best answered by God himself in his book quran,

How to decide if a book cant be from God is if there is errors in it.

God says:

4:82 Will they not think about this Quran? If it had been from anyone other than God, they would have found many contradictions in it.

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #40

Post by Kir Komrik »

But you have no background information by which you could evaluate any answer.

Appeals to elitism won't escape the problem posed. If there is some "special" knowledge I need just to understand your answer then give it to me, now.
Physicists cannot agree on which interpretation is correct.
Then your example is invalid because they all have admitted that they can't provide the one, true QFT.
The physicist would probably tell you to devote some time and effort to studying the issues for yourself.
He or she may or may not, but if there were one, true QFT any competent physicist could answer that right away and it wouldn't be a mystery.
Why not? What is your basis for such a claim?
Its just a hunch. I could be wrong, but it doesn't answer my question either way.
There is only one God.
How do you know that there is one god, let alone many?
All the major world theisms agree on this. So you can move on to the next question, as I suggested in my original post.
This comment is irrelevant and off-topic as it does nothing to address the presenting question. How do I know if your god is the one, true God? Whether or not theists all agree that there is one, albeit unidentified, god doesn't answer that question.
No, your lack of sincerity is transparent.
Are you sure? It's a simple question of the greatest import and I'd like an answer, that's all.
No two non-theists will agree completely on anything (other than their common lack of personal belief in God). Shall we therefore determine that non-theism is ipso-facto false?
The question is internally inconsistent. No two non-theists will agree completely on anything but they do agree that no gods exist, so why would that claim be false because they disagree about other things?
So, my question stands, how do I know that your god is the one, true god?