Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Post #1

Post by Kir Komrik »

Hi all,
I'm new here and have just read up on the policies and finished my signature, etc. I hope I've done everything correctly so far.
I would like to believe in an almighty power but the problem is that in my research I've found so many gods out there. Coming from a family that has been explicitly atheist for generations, I'm starting from scratch and am looking at all religions.
I am sincerely curious to know how would I know, for instance, that your god is the one, true God?
Thank you.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Help: How do I know that your God is the one, true God?

Post #21

Post by Divine Insight »

ciko wrote: Quran in english, decide for yourself if this comes from God/Allah or not
I've already done that and I have concluded that the God portrayed in the Qur'an is far too filled with hatred and egotistical lust to be a God, therefore I have concluded that the Qu'ran was either written by devious lying men, or by demons.

In either case it's a worthless book. You may as well have posted a picture of the Qur'an in place of the picture of the toilet that you had posted earlier. It would have served the same purpose.

The thing that is not "of God" is the ego. Because the ego is not real. It is merely an illusion. The God portrayed in the Qur'an is a highly egotistical self-confessed jealous God. Therefore it has no reality. It's an illusion created by the ego.

So we can rule the Qur'an out as having anything to do with any God. And I have done precisely that, thank you very much. O:)

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #22

Post by Moses Yoder »

If there is a God, one true God, and He is the creator of all, then it seems like He would have created you for the purpose of having a relationship with Him. In other words, God would be trying to have a relationship with you. It would then make sense that if you asked God to show Himself to you and then you looked with an open mind you would see Him. If not, you could safely assume there is no God. I would give it five or ten years of searching though before giving up hope.
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #23

Post by Kir Komrik »

I don't see how this can answer the question, how can I know that your god is the one, true god? Perhaps through lengthy study I could become convinced of that, but thats not really what I'm asking either. I'm asking you to tell me here and now what I would think you should be able to easily answer. Isn't this important and relevant enough that you can answer it directly?

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Kir Komrik »

So your question is not, "Which God is the one true God?"
Yes, it is. Changing the semantics to which "path" is the correct one doesn't change the intrinsic nature of the question; which is that I am asking this because I do not want to follow a false god and suffer the consequences of it. So, whether a "path" or a god, it is the correct question which any adherent should be able to quickly answer. And it has nothing to do with being "clinical" or analytical, its just a simple question.
So, again, the questoin is, how do I know that your God is the one, true god?

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #25

Post by Kir Komrik »

Ciko - Allah said ...
I understand that. But I'm asking how do I know that your god is the one, true God? Saying that Allah says so is meaningless, right, since he is the one of the innumerable candidates for this role we have to identify as the one, unique actor?

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #26

Post by Kir Komrik »

... and then you looked with an open mind you would see Him ...
What if I don't? But more importantly, and on topic is, what if I did so but the response did not identify which god this is, which is the gravamen of my question.
I would give it five or ten years of searching though before giving up hope.
I only have this life. What if I spend this entire life and hear nothing? Then the question still remains, how do I know that your god is the one, true God, right?

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by EduChris »

Kir Komrik wrote:...Perhaps through lengthy study I could become convinced of that, but thats not really what I'm asking either...
Any attempt to evaluate the various religious traditions requires some minimal background knowledge. Without that, you don't have the resources to weigh and judge the various claims. You might as well ask, "Which of the various interpretations of quantum theory is the correct one?" without ever bothering to acquaint yourself with the basics of contemporary physics (and for all we know, none of the current interpretations is correct).

Kir Komrik wrote:...I'm asking you to tell me here and now what I would think you should be able to easily answer. Isn't this important and relevant enough that you can answer it directly?
The one true God is the God who draws you to love and honor your neighbor, and to view yourself as a genuine agent of change and transformation.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

ciko
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by ciko »

Kir Komrik wrote:
Ciko - Allah said ...
I understand that. But I'm asking how do I know that your god is the one, true God? Saying that Allah says so is meaningless, right, since he is the one of the innumerable candidates for this role we have to identify as the one, unique actor?
but there is only Allah who sent books and prophets to humankind, i have never seen any other god sending books and prophets to humankind. when we see other gods sending books and prophets , and they preform extraordinary miracles like moses did with the sea, jesus did with the dead, and muhammed did with the moon.

so we only see Allah here sending books, and claiming he is only God and there is no other god besides Him. But in other hand we dont see Zeus, Thor, Helios, SHiva, Vishnu send books and prophets with miracles to humankind.

When we see other gods do it, then you can ask me wich god is true God. until only true God is Allah.

playhavock
Guru

Post #29

Post by playhavock »

Since no "God" can be messured and/or tested and/or be objectivly verifyed, since none has any emperical evedance of its existance - the answer would be: you can never, ever know what one (or ones) is the correct one. You have to base it totaly on faith, and faith alone. Now, what you could do, I supose, is gather every single relgion past and present (because those in the past could also have been right for all we know) and look at only the ones who offer rewards for beliving and/or punishment for disbelife, in other words - execulsive claims made - as universal systems like say, Hinduisem apply to all of us even if we do not know it, I might not get to Nervania this time, but next time I will if it is true, so I have no need to convert to that. Simular universal statments exist in other relgions out there, so only the most strick execulsive clams would be the ones you have to "worry" about being true. Since you cant ask who has evedance because none of them have, you can only base your pick on subjective feeling about each of those relgions, as asking the people of them will yeld no result.

That would be the BEST you could hope for, is nothing more then a game of eeny meeny miney mo.

Kir Komrik
Scholar

Post #30

Post by Kir Komrik »

Any attempt to evaluate the various religious traditions requires some minimal background knowledge.
You're probably right, but I'm not attempting to evaluate anything. I'm asking a simple, straightforward question that every poster so far has strenuously resisted answering. Perhaps the person answering it might need to evaluate something to answer it, but I'm not looking to evaluate anything beyond the answer itself.
"Which of the various interpretations of quantum theory is the correct one?"
And any competent physicist could answer that immediately and provide the equations that justify its identification as the one, true Quantum Field Theory; assuming he really knows the answer. As for being acquainted with contemporary physics, if I were not, a competent physicist could tell me exactly what areas in which I need competence to understand his or her answer, so that doesn't help either. Besides, frankly, I don't think the complexity of this question and answer is on a par with Quantum Field Theory.
The one true God is the God who draws you to love your neighbor and to view yourself as a genuine agent of real change and transformation.
And who is that? All the answers I've received so far all appear to me to be dancing around the question. I've asked a sincere question and would appreciate a sincere answer. If you cannot answer it then its okay to say that. I'm just trying to figure this out and you may not be the one who can answer it.