Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Preponderance of evidence for the "resurrection?"

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From another thread:
OReilly wrote: I, in opposition to your opinion, would argue that the preponderance of the evidence would suggest the truth of the resurrection, for example.
We are probably all aware that there are stories about a dead body coming back to life after days in the grave – stories written by promoters of a religious splinter group – decades or generations after the supposed event. The identity of the writers is not known to Christian scholars and theologians. None are known to have witnessed the events they write about. Their sources of information are unknown. The stories differ from one another. None have been verified as being truthful and accurate.

Unverified stores by four salesmen touting their product can hardly be considered "preponderance of evidence" so there must be strong evidence elsewhere. Right?

What is the other confirming evidence?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Elijah John
Savant

Post #11

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 10 by Divine Insight]

So you focus on the bad in the Bible and ignore the good.

I focus on the good and ignore the bad.

Do we not, both of us "pick and choose"?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 10 by Divine Insight]

So you focus on the bad in the Bible and ignore the good.

I focus on the good and ignore the bad.

Do we not, both of us "pick and choose"?
I disagree with your conclusion here and feel that you haven't truly considered what I have said.

I don't just focus on the bad and ignore the good. On the contrary I have already stated I look at the 'bigger picture' of the doctrine as a whole.

The entire story begins, and totally depends upon the "Fall From Grace" scenario that is described early on in Genesis. To ignore that and pretend that I can just go though the rest of the bible "picking and choosing" lesser important parts that I actually like seems rather futile.

So I disagree that we both merely 'pick and choose'.

I feel that I consider the Bible as whole and recognize that, as a whole, it cannot be made to work in terms of an intelligent righteous God.

What you seem to be suggesting is that you can go through the Bible and just pick out the parts that work for you whilst rejecting other parts thus giving you incentive to support the whole shebang.

I'm not going through the bible just picking out parts that don't work for me so I can have an excuse to reject it. On the contrary, I'm recognizing that the bigger picture of the doctrine in its entirety cannot be made to work unless you are indeed willing to pick and choose the parts you like and actually reject the parts you don't like.

The fact that I'm not willing to just 'pick and choose' is what forces me to reject the bible as a whole.

In a sense I'm actually in agreement with hardcore Christian Fundamentalists who demand that the Bible, as a whole, must be the infallible word of God. Otherwise we could not know which parts of the Bible came from God and which parts are the corrupt opinions of men.

Unlike the hardcore Christian Fundamentalists I also recognize that once we have accepted this principle we really have no choice but to reject the Bible as a whole because the Bible as a whole cannot be the infallible word of any God. It's simply too self-contradictory.

Apparently you seem to recognize this yourself since you openly admit that you do 'pick and choose'. And I think it's pretty clear that you do indeed pick and choose since you reject the divinity of Jesus especially as the only begotten son of God, yet in the New Testament the Gospels claim that God himself has proclaimed this to be the truth by speaking from a cloud stating clearly that Jesus is his son and that we are to hear what he has to say.

So you obviously simply toss out any parts that you don't personally find rational or appealing, or whatever.

I will not do that. I reject the Bible as a whole precisely because it cannot be made to make any rational sense as a whole.

There is no need at all on my part to 'pick and choose' anything.

The fact that you do 'pick and choose' seems to suggest to me that you are at least in agreement with me that the Bible, as a whole, is not acceptable. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 12 by Divine Insight]

Actually, I have considered your arguments, here on this thread and in the past. I just do not agree with your sweeping view of the Bible and your "tossing the baby out with the bathwater".

Of course that is your right, but you do that because of the bad that is in the Bible, in spite of the good.

I value the Bible in spite of the bad, not because of it.

You're "all or nothing" approach seems just the flip side of Fundamentalism to me, as you somewhat acknowledge.

And if you want to speak of overarching themes of Scripture, you are going from just a Christian Fundamentalist view, acceptiing it at face value in order to reject it wholesale. Jews, for example, and liberally minded Christians do not even believe in "original sin" or the curses in Genesis. They read much of it as metaphor. Very different from Pauline and Fundamentalist interpretations.

I choose a different approach, (similar to Judaism) and read in it the overarching theme of the Bible is that God is Love, He is ethical, living and He is One. (unlike Zeus and his minions).

I had a Priest explain it to me this way, when I was hung up on a detail of Jesus supposed immanent return.

"The things to remember" he said, is that "God created the world good, mankind messed it up, and Jesus somehow puts it right".

Folks may disagree regarding the "somehow" but I think the good Father is onto something there. Many see "putting the world right" as being through Jesus supposed sacrifice for sin, but I see him "putting things right" as via his corrective teaching and example.

And of course, there is a lot of room for reasonable folk to disagree.

-YHVH is LORD

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #14

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: You're "all or nothing" approach seems just the flip side of Fundamentalism to me, as you somewhat acknowledge.
I agree with the Fundamentalists on that point. It has to be that way.

If you are permitted to just accept what feels right for you and reject what you don't think is right then from whence are you obtaining your morals?

Clearly your morals are coming directly from you as you choose which parts of the Bible to accept or reject.

But you could do that same thing with any religion or mythology. Why even bother choosing Hebrew mythology if you're going to do that?

In fact, you may as well even make up your own religion based on your own moral values since your doing this anyway all the while you "hide" behind the robe of Jesus.

So yes, I totally disagree with your approach especially if you're going to use that approach as a pedestal from which to preach the religion. In other words, if you want to use that approach for your own personal life, then fine. You are certainly free to do that. But of what value could such a position have in a forum like this where people are "Debating Christianity"?

All you are basically doing is attempting to argue that you think your opinions smell better than even many things that are actually written in the bible.

That is why I wouldn't even bother going down that path. It's totally unconvincing and futile as a form of argument or public position in discussions. All you are telling me is that you'll believe only what you want to believe you just toss out the rest.

That is totally unimpressive from a debate point of view.

Also, as even the fundamentalists would ask, "How can you then know what is the true wishes of God when you are clearly pushing your moral values onto God rather than the other way around"?

They would say (and rightfully so IMHO) that you are just ignoring God's Word in favor of just picking and choosing what you personally favor.

That's not a sound basis for any religion.
Elijah John wrote: And if you want to speak of overarching themes of Scripture, you are going from just a Christian Fundamentalist view, acceptiing it at face value in order to reject it wholesale. Jews, for example, and liberally minded Christians do not even believe in "original sin" or the curses in Genesis. They read much of it as metaphor. Very different from Pauline and Fundamentalist interpretations.
The fact that so many people have different personal opinions over this clearly self-contradictory and convoluted religion neither surprises me nor impresses me.

This is not an argument in favor of this mythology. On the contrary I feel that such arguments only reveal the fact that most people do indeed see that the Bible cannot be taken seriously on any sort of literal level. So they make up their own religion pretending that it's somehow related to the Biblical God.
Elijah John wrote: I choose a different approach, (similar to Judaism) and read in it the overarching theme of the Bible is that God is Love, He is ethical, living and He is One. (unlike Zeus and his minions).

I had a Priest explain it to me this way, when I was hung up on a detail of Jesus supposed immanent return.

"The things to remember" he said, is that "God created the world good, mankind messed it up, and Jesus somehow puts it right".
And that is the crux of the story right there. That is the "Bigger Picture" that I have been referring to. But we also know that its a clearly false picture.

We know that the world was not created "good". There has been disease, natural disasters and animals eating each other since the dawn of time, long before humans ever showed up on the planet.

The idea that mankind messed it up is clearly a falsehood. In other words, it's an outright lie created by the author of these ancient biblical myths.

Moreover, how did Jesus put anything "right"?

Even the priest you quoted says, "Jesus somehow puts it right". But in truth no one can offer a rational explanation of why humans crucifying the son of God should put anything right.

I hold that if this crucifixion was God's idea then this God would be seriously mentally ill.

On the other hand, I hold that if men were to blame for coming up with the idea to crucify God's son against God's will, then how in the world could that "put thing right'. In anything that should have gotten humanity in even deeper trouble with this God.

I personally can't see any way of justifying the idea that having humans crucify the son of God could put anything right.

And again, I'm not "picking and choosing" here. This is a major cornerstone of Christianity. You can't just sweep in under the carpet, even though you appear to have done just that.

You reject the whole idea that Jesus was God's only begotten son in the first place. How you can still claim to even have anything at all do do with the Christian Bible at this point is beyond me. You reject the very CORE of Christianity via your personal picking and choosing.
Elijah John wrote: Folks may disagree regarding the "somehow" but I think the good Father is onto something there. Many see "putting the world right" as being through Jesus supposed sacrifice for sin, but I see him "putting things right" as via his corrective teaching and example.

And of course, there is a lot of room for reasonable folk to disagree.
That's the problem. There is far too much room for reasonable people to disagree. This is why Jesus could hardly be said to have "put things right".

Two major problems with this. The first being that Jesus didn't even become a major part of all the Abrahamic religion. Christianity is merely a single off-shoot with Islam shooting off with equal or even greater numbers in a totally different direction.

How does that amount to "putting things right"?

And even the Christians who actually claim to believe in Jesus have vastly different opinions and view on what Jesus actually stood for.

Where has anything been "put right"?

In anything this God would have created greater confusion through Jesus than had already existed before Jesus.

And from my point of view this would require a God who is basically dumber than rocks. That doesn't amount to a supremely intelligent infinitely wise God.

Nothing you have said here has been the least bit convincing in terms of debate.

All you have done is confess that you pick and choose and you have long since made it clear that you don't even accept the Gospel rumors that Jesus was the only begotten son of God.

And you have even revealed through the quote you gave from the priest that your whole foundational belief system rests entirely upon a believe that the world was "good" before mankind came along and screwed everything up. Yet we actually have overwhelming evidence that the world was always screwed up long before humans ever showed up on the planet.

So nothing fits with reality. It's all as empty as Greek mythology.
[center]Image
[/center]

Elijah John
Savant

Post #15

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 14 by Divine Insight]

Ah, so the only valid positions to take in a debate from your point of view are to:

a: accept the Bible in it's entirety, as though it fell from Heaven intact. (and to accept the Fundamentalist INTERPRETATION of the Bible.
b: reject the Bible in it's entirety in spite of the good it may contain, on the basis that other religions and philosphies also teach these things

But c, To apply critical thinking and scholarship to the Bible in order to determine which parts are probably true (which parts do accord with history and science) and useful (the Ten Commandments and Golden Rule,) or beautiful( the Psalms.) is not a valid option, in your book.

I would go over the standards I use with which to judge the other parts of the Bible, (not my own imagination or morals, as you suggest, I did not make up the Ten Commandments or Golden Rule, the REAL Heart of the Bible, imo.) but I have explained my criteria to you and others many times, in other threads.

Those options do not seem valid in your world because they don't compy to a) or b). To me, that seems like EXTREMELY simplistic thinking.

I do not care to converse with you anymore about this, we've done this many times before, and if you keep repeating the same arguments, you have not convinced me either. Not conceding defeat, just that I am just tired of this.

And you misrepresent or misunderstand my position, as evidenced here:

DI, "But in truth no one can offer a rational explanation of why humans crucifying the son of God should put anything right."

Where did I EVER say that it did?! I already explained that, it was Jesus TEACHINGS and EXAMPLE that helps put things right. Our positions are far enough apart, without you misrepresenting mine.

You seem quite unfamiliar with others who have also taken a "pick and choose" approach, including Jefferson, or the historical Jesus scholars who are quite adept, (rightly so, in my book) about not taking everything literally in the Bible, and still finding great value in Jesus as a teacher and reformer. Read Reza Aslan's book Zealot, for one.

Also, you do not need to educate me on the Jesus myth, I am quite familiar with it, understand the sources and agree with much of the hypothesis.
Last edited by Elijah John on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-YHVH is LORD

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #16

Post by Divine Insight »

Elijah John wrote: Also, you do not need to educate me on the Jesus myth, I am quite familiar with it, understand the sources and agree with much of the hypothesis.
I never meant to imply that I would need to education you on anything.

However, it seems to me that for you to reject the idea that Jesus was born of a virgin and was claimed to be the son of God, is so totally removed from the Gospels that I honestly can't even see how you can even remotely support the idea that Jesus was divine in any way.

And without divinity he's nothing but just another man (or rumor) that has no more significance than your opinions or mine.

So I can't see where you even have anything to debate on the topic actually. All you seem to be doing is offering personal opinions that are far removed from what the gospels even suggest. What value does that have in terms of any serious debate?

Finally, in terms of morality, I have absolutely no problem with you picking and choosing your own moral values. I certainly do that as well. I just don't see where that would serve to support the Bible in any way.
[center]Image
[/center]

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #17

Post by Inigo Montoya »

......so about this preponderance of evidence...

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #18

Post by Divine Insight »

Inigo Montoya wrote: ......so about this preponderance of evidence...
It does appear that the thread seems to have been far off topic, but in a sense I suggest that the discussion thus far shows a preponderance of evidence that the entire collection of biblical tales are so unreliable, self-contradictory, and in violation of known reality that there is actually a preponderance of evidence against these rumors of a resurrected demigod.

That's my conclusion in any case which I'm sure will not surprise anyone. O:)
[center]Image
[/center]

OReilly
Student

Re: Preponderance of evidence for the "resurrection?&qu

Post #19

Post by OReilly »

Zzyzx wrote:
From another thread:
OReilly wrote:
I, in opposition to your opinion, would argue that the preponderance of the evidence would suggest the truth of the resurrection, for example.

We are probably all aware that there are stories about a dead body coming back to life after days in the grave – stories written by promoters of a religious splinter group – decades or generations after the supposed event. The identity of the writers is not known to Christian scholars and theologians. None are known to have witnessed the events they write about. Their sources of information are unknown. The stories differ from one another. None have been verified as being truthful and accurate.

Unverified stores by four salesmen touting their product can hardly be considered "preponderance of evidence" so there must be strong evidence elsewhere. Right?

What is the other confirming evidence?

Since you post my statement above, I reply with most of the substance of my original reply to the question, with some additions.

Summary Case for the Resurrection by Steven O'Reilly

The historical record, presumptively, documents actual events. Miracles are found in the historical record. Therefore, miracles are, presumptively, actual events. That is not to say that we accept all claims uncritically, but it does suggest that as the historical record is full of miracles, Christian and non-Christian, human experience in history suggests a strong presumption that miraculous events are certainly possible and indeed probable. Thus, to reject the possibility of miracles in the face of human experience documented in the historical record - based on one's own limited personal experience - is not reasonable.

To say a miracle, or in this case the Resurrection in particular, do not conform to laws one personally observes will not suffice. "If, occasionally, historical evidence does not square with formulated laws, it should be remembered that a law is but deduction from experience and experiment, and therefore laws must conform with historical facts, not facts with laws." (Immanuel Velikovsky (Worlds In Collision), p.19). Therefore, the question comes down to the facts of the historical record.

Briefly, then, there are sufficient grounds to believe in the historical truth of the Resurrection of Jesus. The Gospels of Matthew and John were written by apostles of Jesus. That Matthew was penned by an apostle agrees with the earliest of sources (e.g., Papias) - so it is not something just made up a few hundred years afterwards. Internal evidence of John's gospel (e.g., John 19:35) points to it being written by an eyewitness. In addition, early sources (Church fathers) point to Mark being a follower of Peter, and that he penned Peter's account. And Luke, as a companion of Paul, had access to Peter, James and probably other eyewitness sources. To these we have the evidence of Acts and the epistles.

As to the dating of the gospels, I would reject late dating of them. Paul was executed in Rome circa 64-65AD following the Great Fire of Rome (various Church fathers). Luke's Acts shows no knowledge of his death, and thus one may rightly suppose he wrote it no later than 65ish AD. Further, we know Luke's gospel was written prior to Acts, so we can certainly be confident it derives from an even earlier date for it - but certainly no later than 65AD. Given the relation of Luke's Gospel to Mark and Matthew; these other two Gospels must, therefore, have been written even earlier. So, at worst, we have historical records of Jesus' life, death and resurrection penned within 25-30 years. But that is at worst, and they well could have been written much earlier. And, as I noted earlier, even 25-30 years after the fact is very good by historical standards. Herodotus, Arrian, Tacitus, Suetonius, etc., all wrote histories of event far more distant in the past than that, and these are granted status as histories.

Further, Luke's Acts records the history of the Church from the earliest, following the Ascension. As Luke as a companion of Paul, he would have met Peter and James (per Paul's epistles), and others, from whom his account is based. Acts indicates the apostles were preaching the resurrection from the first, and getting in trouble with the authorities for it. It was not a later development.

Thus, in summary, we have two eyewitness histories (Matthew and John), another based directly on Peter's account (Mark), and a fourth (Luke) that had access to eyewitnesses and other written accounts - one of which I surmise to be James for a couple reasons. These testify that Jesus lived, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified died and was buried and rose again on the third day.

From non-Christian sources, various aspects of this general testimony is confirmed. Certain aspects of the accounts are confirmed by Tacitus, Suetonius and Josephus - even if we were to admit the consensus view that only certain parts of the TF were interpolations (Which, btw, I don't). Even Tacitus refers to the death of Jesus, and that the superstitious belief recovered from this set back - certainly statements consistent with knowledge of the resurrection accounts, even if he did not credit them.

In addition, we have the first non-Christian attack on the resurrection as a written 'artifact' in Matthew 28. There we find a Christian apologetic to counter a pre-existing (to Matthew) story, which had to have been in circulation earlier. In it, Jewish officials claimed the body of Jesus had been stolen by his disciples. Thus, even here, we at least have an early non-Christian account of events admitting some basic facts shared with the Christian account. Which are:

1. There was a Jesus.
2. He was executed and buried.
3. A guard was set for fear the body might be stolen, based on an expectation prior to Jesus' death that he would rise again on the third day - thus the Jewish account that the body was stolen for this purpose, despite a guard being set
4. The tomb was found empty on the Third Day.

As to the credibility of the gospel accounts, we have every reason to grant it. Aside from the corroboration of multiple sources on key aspects of the accounts, we know that Peter and Paul were executed by the Romans in the Neronian persecution following the Great Fire of Rome. What we know of Roman legal procedures regarding Christians (e.g., Tacitus, Pliny the Younger) is that if one denied being Christian and sacrificed to the gods, one was set free. However, since we know Peter and Paul were martyred, we know they did not take this out. If they had taken it, it would have suggested very strongly they were liars. As many will die for what they know to be the truth, or even for only what they believe to be the truth - it is quite remarkable for someone to die for what they know to be a lie. Thus, Peter's and Paul's deaths testify to their truthfulness regarding the first hand claims of each (e.g., seeing the resurrected Jesus); as well as to Paul's view of the credibility of the eyewitnesses he did interact with.

It is sometimes alleged that the people of the times were too ready to believe baseless superstitions. However, it may be rightly pointed out that the apostles and other disciples were the first skeptics of the resurrection. They disbelieved the women, and Thomas disbelieved both them and his fellow apostles. In addition, Paul actively persecuted Christians until his mystical experience of Jesus. Consequently, we see, these, at least, were not credulous individuals. Indeed, they were the first skeptics, and Paul, as a persecutor of Christians was a skeptic on steroids. Thus, it is evident, compelling evidence must have swayed them, that is, seeing the resurrected Jesus.

But, what of the Christians who believed without seeing, it is said they were too credulous; too ready to believe baseless superstitions, just like all peoples of that age were superstitious - it is said. However, the argument is patently fallacious. Even if we were to admit ancient peoples accepted all sorts of baseless ancient superstitions, it would not follow that they did not have solid grounds in reason and fact to justifiably believe the accounts of Jesus over other options available to them in that age.

The allegation it was a superstitious age might explain why there were numerous pagan sects at the time of Jesus, mystery religions and cults, etc. However, the allegation undermines the hoped for argument against Christianity. That is, the fact that the Christian religion triumphed in the market place of ideas relative to the other cults, and against organized state opposition at that; clearly suggests the evidence (credibility of apostles, early miracles, eyewitness accounts, etc) for Christianity was very compelling. So compelling in fact that it enabled the Church to draw to it people who were otherwise attached to their superstitious cults! In sum, the point is, the 'superstitious ancient people' supposition supports the case that Christianity was based on good evidence; otherwise, it would not have triumphed and emerged as THE victor in the marketplace of so many competing ideas/sects among superstitious peoples and against the opposition of the state.

Finally, if God acted in the world in the times of Jesus, and powerfully so through His resurrection, one might expect that miracles might yet continue. Rev. Harrison, speaking of points made by Arnold Lunn, said "The fact that Catholic history has been constantly marked by many other well-attested miracles in the lives of holy men and women lends a certain a priori credibility to the New Testament accounts of Jesus' miracles and his Resurrection. It would seem surprising, indeed, if a society which for over 2,000 years has produced a constant stream of miracles was not adorned at its foundation by events at least as wondrous." (http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9108dd.asp). Such documented wonders would include, but are not limited to, Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe, the Shroud of Turin and the miracles in the causes of the saints.

In conclusion then, there is sufficient reason to accept the Resurrection of Jesus Christ as a historical fact based on the preponderance of the evidence.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Preponderance of evidence for the "resurrection?&am

Post #20

Post by Divine Insight »

OReilly wrote: The historical record, presumptively, documents actual events. Miracles are found in the historical record. Therefore, miracles are, presumptively, actual events. That is not to say that we accept all claims uncritically, but it does suggest that as the historical record is full of miracles, Christian and non-Christian, human experience in history suggests a strong presumption that miraculous events are certainly possible and indeed probable. Thus, to reject the possibility of miracles in the face of human experience documented in the historical record - based on one's own limited personal experience - is not reasonable.
If the above paragraph represents your idea of rational thinking, then my conclusion would be that nothing you could argue further would have any merit.

The idea that because history is filled with people believing in miraculous events it is unreasonable to reject them is a grossly flawed presumption IMHO.

Moreover, that same type of argument would then necessarily need to apply to all cultures and time periods, etc. In other words we'd need to give Greek Mythology the same credence etc., because the Greeks actually believed in their Gods and miracles too. Not to mention every other religious and superstitious cultural idea in the world.

If some people believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, does that mean that it's not reasonable to reject the idea of Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy based on our own experience?

You've shot yourself in the foot from your very first paragraph as far as I'm concerned. Your rationale is simply not logical and holds no water.
[center]Image
[/center]