Flat earthers?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Flat earthers?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief.

The way I see all Christian belief whether flat earth, young earth, old earth, or what have you are equally unbelievable. To me each group latches on to a particular mindset that speaks to them and ignores evidence to the contrary.

Why is Flat earth theory treated with such disrepect compared to other Christian beliefs?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

postroad
Prodigy

Re: Flat earthers?

Post #2

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon] There is a point at which even the most literal understanding believer must stop or find himself on the wrong side of the crazy fence. That fence used to be after the flat earth belief but at this point in time it is firmly in front of it. Although how the sun stood still without the earth stopping its rotation is still a mystery.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

And many wonder why we don't have more Theists here for you debate with. You insult our intelligence with post like this, and with remarks like "theists don't fare well on a level debating field."
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #4

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon] There is a point at which even the most literal understanding believer must stop or find himself on the wrong side of the crazy fence. That fence used to be after the flat earth belief but at this point in time it is firmly in front of it. Although how the sun stood still without the earth stopping its rotation is still a mystery.
I feel like Christianity is stuck in a weird catch 22 where the closer they are to literalism the more ridiculous it sounds and the further they get away from it the more inconsistent and incoherent it sounds.
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 3 by DanieltheDragon]
It must be tough. Sometimes you can tell the apologists don't even believe what they write.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief. ...
Bible doesn’t claim planet earth is flat. That is why it probably is not a great issue for Christians.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #7

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote:
DanieltheDragon wrote: Flat earth belief is still around to this day. They even have elaborate apologetics dedicated to it not unlike creationists. Yet even among Christian groups they are frequently dismissed. Yet I find this strange. This dismissal among Christians of flat earth belief. ...
Bible doesn’t claim planet earth is flat. That is why it probably is not a great issue for Christians.
It may not claim it, but it sure implies it in a number of spots. From what I've seen, there are no implications the earth is spherical in the Bible. I think last time we discussed this there were 7 to 9 spots that imply flat. Makes sense really, the tales in the Bible simply reflect the knowledge of the people that wrote the stories down.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #8

1213 wrote:
Whether it does or doesn't is not my concern. Why do you dismiss flat earth belief so non chalantly? Many flat earthers have pointed out to me it does. Why should I believe you over them?

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: It may not claim it, but it sure implies it in a number of spots. From what I've seen, there are no implications the earth is spherical in the Bible. I think last time we discussed this there were 7 to 9 spots that imply flat. Makes sense really, the tales in the Bible simply reflect the knowledge of the people that wrote the stories down.
Bible tells directly that earth means dry land. So, when Bible uses word earth, it doesn’t even mean the whole planet that consists of oceans and dry land….

God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters he called Seas. God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:10

On basis of that, there seems to have been one area of dry land at the beginning and it may have been relatively flat. Although I don’t know can land area that has mountain(s) be called flat.

On basis of what I know, I think Bible doesn’t give any good reason to think planet earth is flat, especially if person understands 3 dimensions.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

DanieltheDragon wrote: Whether it does or doesn't is not my concern. Why do you dismiss flat earth belief so non chalantly? Many flat earthers have pointed out to me it does. Why should I believe you over them?
My goal was just to tell what may be the reason for why flat earth idea is not so meaningful for Christians. I have not dismissed the idea, but by what I have seen, it is not probably correct belief. However, it is not very important thing to know for me, because it is not for me very useful information.