Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Why is god in hiding?

Post #1

Post by JJ50 »

If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?

Those who claim there is evidence that god exists, can never provide that evidence.

marco
Savant

Re: Why is god in hiding?

Post #51

Post by marco »

By Grace wrote:
You seem to forget that in ancient civilizations such as Greece and Rome, each had a pantheon of their gods, made in their own images following their own foibles. Therefore, there was all sorts of intrigue and jealousy and even Oedipus.
I wasn't aware of forgetting what I know about ancient Greece and Rome, and I don't know what poor Oedipus has to do with anything.
By Grace wrote:
Therefore, looking at history, the "marco god" would wind up being an idealized version of Marco.
And you think this would be so bad? I find it rather intriguing. But why is god, maro-like or not, in hiding. That is the question.

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #52

Post by By Grace »

marco wrote:
By Grace wrote:
You seem to forget that in ancient civilizations such as Greece and Rome, each had a pantheon of their gods, made in their own images following their own foibles. Therefore, there was all sorts of intrigue and jealousy and even Oedipus.
I wasn't aware of forgetting what I know about ancient Greece and Rome, and I don't know what poor Oedipus has to do with anything.
You may have missed that when you studied Greek history in Middle School. So here is the abridged adult version of Oedipus: He incested his mother.

By Grace wrote:
Therefore, looking at history, the "marco god" would wind up being an idealized version of Marco.
And you think this would be so bad? I find it rather intriguing. But why is god, maro-like or not, in hiding. That is the question.
I understand that you were attempting to be humorous due to not understanding the Greek Pantheon, but now that you know what I meant, I am certain that you really might "walk that "marco-god" comment back.

My purpose in mentioning Oedipus was to nicely bring in the horrid idea that Paul mentioned in passing in Romans 1: 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves...

I take original sin as a given, and I know my own depravity all too well. What might be the consequence be if we all became gods, and made our own rules? We would be no better than either the Greek or Roman civilizations

marco
Savant

Post #53

Post by marco »

By Grace wrote:
You may have missed that when you studied Greek history in Middle School. So here is the abridged adult version of Oedipus: He incested his mother.
Oedipus wasn't in the Greek pantheon, nor was he incestuously lustful, but never having known his real parents, he was involved in a royal marriage to Queen Jocasta of Thebes as a consequence of solving the riddle of the Sphinx. When the truth that Jocasta was his mother was made known she killed herself, and in one version, Oedipus blinded himself. Lust wasn't involved, nor indeed was Greek "history."
By Grace wrote: I understand that you were attempting to be humorous due to not understanding the Greek Pantheon, but now that you know what I meant, I am certain that you really might "walk that "marco-god" comment back.
I'm pretty well conversant with ancient Greece and Rome but were I not, your contribution would not have assisted me too much.
By Grace wrote:
I take original sin as a given, and I know my own depravity all too well. What might be the consequence if we all became gods, and made our own rules? We would be no better than either the Greek or Roman civilizations

I have the greatest admiration for these civilisations. Perhaps more study is needed. I don't have much admiration for Paul nor do I subscribe to the view that we are burdened with original sin. I have no responsibility for what the first caveman did, bless him. Go well.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #54

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 25 by ttruscott]
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
I have a great relationship with my youngest sister right at this very moment.

I also hope that this relationship continues for many many years to come.

...mic drop.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by ttruscott »

JJ50 wrote: If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?
Rom 1 says every human has seen the proof of YHWH's divinity and power but have repressed that proof of the truth so as to live with our sins with less guilt, the quintessence of our enslavement to evil. Thus we can know that proof is not able to redeem and make us holy. Therefore the existence of proof is highly overrated and it is in fact, useless to rescue sinners from their addiction to sin. This leaves only HIS grace granting us faith and building that faith, an unproven hope, to save us from our memory of the pleasures and profits of sin, guiding us to choose holiness by our free will which was returned to us by our rebirth when our enslavement to evil was broken. As being outside of HIS grace by their own free will decision, the satanic are eternally reprobate.

Therefore by hiding HIMself, offering very little more proof than has already been given, GOD has set HIMself to build our faith, our unproven hope, as the sure fire method of redeeming HIS lost sheep and making them heaven ready to be HIS bride.
Those who claim there is evidence that god exists, can never provide that evidence.
This blanket statement (which is a no-no here on this forum) fails as it is based upon ignorance of the evidence and surmises that therefore none can exist, the black swan fallacy.

Or perhaps it is based upon the rejection of the evidence which then surmises that since it does not convince it is not real evidence even if the fault lies in the one who cannot be convinced...

Anyway, the evidence is:
- The Bible itself, especially the life of Christ.
- The religion itself as starting from nearly nothing and ending as the world's largest religion.
- The witness of billions as to its truthfulness....not a proof but certainly the evidence of something
- The internal witness of the indwelling Holy Spirit, teaching, guiding and helping, not available to those condemned already for unbelief.

You may reject this evidence as not convincing but by so doing you are affirming it is evidence. It is certainly not evidence for Zulu ancestor worship.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

DPMartin
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by DPMartin »

JJ50 wrote: If the Biblical god exists why does it hide away, making its existence a matter of faith not reality?

you are correct about evidence though creation itself should be sufficient. but as far as Presence of God that would be provided by God, His choosing not some one else's. therefore you want proof, you should ask the Lord God in the name of Jesus Christ to make it known to you, if you intend to believe. I remember one of the Baldwin brothers (actor the one who did usual suspects) did the same.

anyway long short on why man can't see God if He did man would die, reason being God gave Adam His place in the earth and since man doesn't obey the consequence in the Presence of God is death. just as Satan was cast out of Heaven as Jesus said like a bolt of lightening. that fast.

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 55 by ttruscott]
PCE Theology as I see it...
Please explain

There are many reasons why some may consider that "god is in hiding" but they are all specious, and ego centric.

There is ample evidence in creation that He exists, d there is evidence in His testimony that He is a covenant-making and relational God, who is not willing that any should die, but instead be saved.

Because those who claim that "god is hiding" it is evident that they are presupposing that the God who made the Universe, and all therein should bow down to the capricious vicissitudes of human thought is an act of unmitigated insubordination

Romans 1: 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.
20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Willum
Savant

Post #58

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 57 by By Grace]

He is in hiding for the same reason any mass-murderer goes into hiding.

He is afraid that a righteous person might get a hold of him and put him on trial for Terrestrial crimes of nearly boundless scope, and use his own doctrine against him as proof.

If, the person finding him didn't do the right thing up front.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

By Grace
Apprentice

Post #59

Post by By Grace »

[Replying to post 53 by marco]

I reserve the right to be wrong on Greek history & pantheon because I was an obnoxious 7 th grader having problems of my own, and caring not a hoot about academics.
I don't have much admiration for Paul nor do I subscribe to the view that we are burdened with original sin.
Your personal opinion of Paul is yours; I do not share it. However that does not mean that your opinion gives you get a 'free ride" on dismissing what he says out of hand. By that, I mean that it may be that you are simply dismissing his writings
  • because you may be atheistic
    because you may not believe in God
    because you may disdain those who are believers in God
Yet despite those possible positions that you hold, I find it sort of ironic/incongruent that the title of your OP
(1) presupposes that God exists
(2) is hiding
but that you simply reject the writings from one of that God's Apostles

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 59:

Context - I'm livin' in my own, but think I've got me something important to tell...
By Grace wrote: I reserve the right to be wrong on Greek history & pantheon because I was an obnoxious 7 th grader having problems of my own, and caring not a hoot about academics.
It's fine to accept we may be wrong. It's a whole 'nother deal to declare we're gonna carve us out a space just for us to do it.

I propose that here in these debates, we'd all do well to accept we may be wrong, but we aught'n hold our wrongs up to be a right. If we accept the "right to be wrong", we aughta hold ourselves accountable to a duckduckgo search somewhere in amongst it.

But I do respect that your statement indicates a self-reflective, opinion-changeable state of mind. I Just felt I had to tell it.

Even more'n that, I'm upset to know you did Greek History in seventh grade, while it was, I did me pot smokin' and frisbee throwin', and showin' off in front of the pretty yella haired girl across the way. Alas, I got me a doctorate for the first two, and a "you know, it's a shame restraining orders ain't more popular" on the last'n. :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin