Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.

Would any one waste their time talking with people who did believe it?
No. For what reason? But atheists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?

There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt. And to find out you have to die.

There are really only one reason for the faithless or Godless to be here.

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists. And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to. And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #81

Post by benchwarmer »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote:
No, you just got bent out of shape when I pointed out that a claim was made with no supporting evidence. Then you accused atheists of doing the same thing. Which, in this thread, no one has.
Christian apologists (like myself) don't typically make claims with no supporting evidence..in fact, we get a kick of providing evidence/solid reasons for our beliefs.
And we often get a kick out of what many theists consider solid reasons. No doubt many theists provide evidence, it's just that most of it is nothing buy heresay quoted from religious propaganda. Hardly convincing, verifiable, or 'solid'.
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: SOME atheists may state that. None here have so your statement as is is wrong.
They have.
Good. A claim. Please back this up or retract it. I'll wait. You've already been proven wrong in 3 cases. Let me guess, you can't be bothered...
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: Great, when someone does that call them on it. At this point you are creating a strawman since no one here is doing that.
Oh, so you are going to tell me with a straight face that no one on here has ever typed the words "you can't prove a negative", or "you can't prove the nonexistence of something"?
Now you are simply confused and mixing up what was said. Please go read post 62 again.

You claimed that atheists claim "There is no god". That is the strawman I'm referring to, not your analysis of what you think follows from that. Which is pointless because not all atheists make this claim. Conclusions you base on false premises are not going to get you very far.

For_The_Kingdom wrote: Trust me, they said it.
Why in the world would I trust you? You've already been proven wrong just in this one thread alone! And you have admitted you are too lazy to go looking for the proof!

Back it up or retract. I know it stings when you are shown to be wrong, but at least admit to it. What happened to:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: Ok, so at the very least, those same gentlemen who I accused of making the claim "There is no God", stated that they didn't say that there is no God...but rather, they claimed "There is no Christian God" (God of the Bible).
Back it up. Your're just digging the hole deeper and deeper.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: But of course, maybe I missed the thread; so point me in the right direction to the thread that either one of them made, at which they provided sufficient evidence for the positive claim of "The Christian God does not/can not exist".
You've GOT to be kidding me. You are too lazy to back up your own claims, now you want me to go digging for claims that were likely not even made?! You want ME to do YOUR homework?

I think now is the time to LOL and SMH if there ever was one.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: I will wait.
You'll be waiting forever then if you think others are going to do your work for you.

Tcg
Savant

Post #82

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Avoice]

If God is as important to life as most theists claim it is, why wouldn't we be interested?

If theists are as sure of the existence of their God as many claim to be, why would our interest bother them to the extent that they complain about our interest?

They claim to have knowledge of great value and then whine when those who aren't convinced show interest in their unsupportable claim. If they are sure of their faith based claim is true, our interest should encourage them.

Instead, they get upset when we ask for verifiable evidence of their unsupportable claim. It's almost as if they themselves know it is unsupportable and complain when others bring this fact to their attention.

T - God is great!

A - Show us God.

T - We can't so buzz off!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Diagoras
Guru

Post #83

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 76 by For_The_Kingdom]

Not sure what happened to a reply I was sure I’d posted...

Never mind. The main point was to say that your reply (post 76) was rather disappointing to me: only containing opinion instead of any single example of an atheist’s poor argument.

However, I’m pleased because it demonstrated that my point was valid.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #84

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 76 by For_The_Kingdom]

Not sure what happened to a reply I was sure I’d posted...

Never mind. The main point was to say that your reply (post 76) was rather disappointing to me: only containing opinion instead of any single example of an atheist’s poor argument.

However, I’m pleased because it demonstrated that my point was valid.
I think I made it clear that I am not impressed with ANY atheistic arguments against theism, and also not impressed with any atheistic arguments for atheism.

That being said, you should have more than quite a few "examples" of this just by looking at any given post.

You want one, and I am giving you ALL.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #85

[Replying to post 81 by benchwarmer]

I said all I needed to say to you regarding this matter. I will gladly give you the last word.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #86

Post by Bust Nak »

benchwarmer wrote:
For_The_Kingdom wrote: Ok, so at the very least, those same gentlemen who I accused of making the claim "There is no God", stated that they didn't say that there is no God...but rather, they claimed "There is no Christian God" (God of the Bible).
Back it up. Your're just digging the hole deeper and deeper.
Give him that one. I've stated as such here. The Christian God falls into the category of gods that do not exist. Insert the problem of evil here for fulfilling the burden on that claim.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #87

Post by Diagoras »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:I think I made it clear that I am not impressed with ANY atheistic arguments against theism, and also not impressed with any atheistic arguments for atheism.
Tell me honestly, if I’d made the exact opposite of that comment about theists, would you consider me to be an open-minded and reasonable person?

From what you’ve written, I don’t see a fruitful way to engage in any meaningful debate with you, and that’s a pity.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #88

Bust Nak wrote: The Christian God falls into the category of gods that do not exist. Insert the problem of evil here for fulfilling the burden on that claim.
Do you want me to take you to task with that on this thread, or another thread? How do you want it?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #89

Post by Bust Nak »

For_The_Kingdom wrote: Do you want me to take you to task with that on this thread, or another thread? How do you want it?
Start a new one pls.

FWI
Sage

Post #90

Post by FWI »

Zzyzx wrote:That explains everything. Invisible, undetectable anti-gods conspire to lead people away from an invisible, undetectable ‘god’. It’s a war between invisible, undetectable ‘spirits’ and humans are just pawns (or are just imagining the whole battle).

There must be a misunderstanding (on your part) related to my comment addressing SallyF's statement that: "For Some Atheists it is a missionary duty … a calling." There was no suggestions of the invisible anti-God or as understood certain angels, who influence! The anti-God, being spoken of are human beings…Who, have an agenda, which is contrary to the proper system introduced by God.

So, as you have claimed that it is your goal to be in opposition to religious beliefs and advertising, it is safe to say that some type of real force is influencing you…Why? Because, there must be a logical reason for this goal. Hence, according to your stated position, you want the masses to drop their religious beliefs, then you will ride off into the sunset. This is surely unrealistic and not going to happen. But, I suspect that you already know this…
Zzyzx wrote:It must be entertaining to have imaginary mental battles between good and bad ‘spirits’ in one’s head.

No, it isn't…The battle between "good and evil" is always present with the human beings and science has proven this by observation, thus it is undeniable! Where, the ones who try to ignore this reality, are the ones who live in an imaginary mental state.
Zzyzx wrote:Kindly present verifiable ‘facts’ to support Christian claims and stories.

Firstly, if you want verifiable facts about Christian claims and stories, you should pose that request to the Christians, not myself…However, it has been shown that the anti-God wouldn't and haven't accepted such attempts anyways! Otherwise, they wouldn't be the anti-God…So, it is not my goal to convince, only to inform. Where, this approach would ensure that the ant-God and those who claim to follow the true and only God, will not be able to deny that they didn't know certain truths, at their prescribed time.