The Most Evil God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

The Most Evil God

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Is the biblical Jehovah the most EVIL god ever imagined …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Red Wolf »

Bible God has killed many people and he promises to kill many more when Jesus returns. He is a killer...a murderer...

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

I don't know of any other theistic literature that describes a worse God than the Hebrew Bible.

The God of the Old Testament was bad enough. But the God of the Christian New Testament is far worse. He's not only responsible for all the bad things he did in the OT, but he was also very nasty to humans in the NT. Keep in mind that even if Jesus was this God incarnated, he would still be the God who had created the situations that he was supposedly trying to fix as Jesus.

For example, he's casting evil demons out of people? Well duh? If those people didn't deserve to be possessed by evil demons in the first place then why did he ever allow those evil demons to possess those innocent people in the first place.

Jesus even claimed that the blind man was made blind by God just so Jesus could use him as an example of performing a miracle. Think of how disgusting that it. He's just playing around with humans like toys for his own sadistic pleasure.

We can't loose the site of the fact that the Biblical God cannot be reduced to just being Jesus. Jesus surely wouldn't have arranged to have himself crucified by humans. That would be sick. Of course, God having arranged it doesn't help. Then God is sick.

It's a sick ancient folklore. We can all be very glad to know that it's nothing more than this. It would be extremely depressing to think that we had been created by such a sick creep.

This would be a God that no one could trust, if he actually existed.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

TheGreatDebate
Student

Post #4

Post by TheGreatDebate »

Yes the God of the Bible has killed more and promises to kill more than any other deity in any other religious text in existence (to my knowledge.) If He is God, does He have the right to?

I am just very curious as to why all the charges of “murderer,� “disgusting,� etc… are flying around. I assume you all are atheists? From what moral authority do you assign these terms from?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

TheGreatDebate wrote: Yes the God of the Bible has killed more and promises to kill more than any other deity in any other religious text in existence (to my knowledge.) If He is God, does He have the right to?
Yes absolutely. And I say this as an atheist.
TheGreatDebate wrote:I am just very curious as to why all the charges of “murderer,� “disgusting,� etc… are flying around. I assume you all are atheists? From what moral authority do you assign these terms from?
I'm starting a new thread in the Right and Wrong section to reply to this, called Trickle-Down Morality.

...which I actually think is a fallacy. I don't think morality trickles down, or up, as the case may be.

I think what you're getting at here is exactly correct.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: The Most Evil God

Post #6

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]
He has told you, O man, what is good and what YHVH requires of you, but to do justice, to love kindness and walk humbly with your God?
Does that sound like an evil God to you?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Savant

Re: The Most Evil God

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

SallyF wrote: Image

Is the biblical Jehovah the most EVIL god ever imagined …?
Bible God is not evil, because he doesn’t do anything evil or wrong.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

TheGreatDebate wrote: Yes the God of the Bible has killed more and promises to kill more than any other deity in any other religious text in existence (to my knowledge.) If He is God, does He have the right to?
Having the right to do it and being right in doing it are two entirely different things.

Is this a God that we can trust or not?

If I can't trust this God then whether he has the right to do something or not is totally irrelevant.

I also think that Biblical theists quickly loose sight of their own criteria for their God.

Zeus can do anything he wants because no one ever claimed that Zeus needs to be trustworthy or righteous. But Yahweh does not have that freedom if he's supposed to be a trustworthy righteous God.

If Yahweh can do anything he wants just because he feels like it, then I cannot trust him, he might do something bad to me for no good reason. That's not a God I could trust.
TheGreatDebate wrote: I am just very curious as to why all the charges of “murderer,� “disgusting,� etc… are flying around. I assume you all are atheists? From what moral authority do you assign these terms from?
From the moral authority of subjective opinion. Period.

All you are doing is trying to give your God's opinions the ultimate authority. That's not good enough. If you can't justify what the God actually does, then his authoritative opinions aren't worth the stone tablets he might chose to write them on.

If you have a God that I can trust, then I should have nothing to worry about.

But that's not what the religion you support claims. The religion you support claims that your God will do extremely nasty and terribly evil things to me if I don't believe in Hebrew scriptures.

That alone makes him an evil God right there. If he'll hurt anyone for not believing in Hebrew folklore then he's already an evil demon certainly unworthy of anyone's trust.

So the religious theology that you are attempting to defend has already shot itself in the foot. It's already an indefensible theology.

Never mind about any actual Gods that may or may not exist.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

[Replying to post 4 by TheGreatDebate]

By the way TheGreatDebate, if your God needs you to defend his Holy Book because he was so inept to not have one written that was compelling in and of itself, then he's already a worthless God.

He needs you, a mere mortal human, to explain to people why his Holy Book is totally absurd and ignorant?

These are debates that you will have lost before you even begin them.

As a mere mortal human you are in no position to be defending a defenseless God. The mere fact that you find yourself in this position is already proof of the incompetence of the God you are attempting to defend.

If your God is so Great and trustworthy why wasn't he able to make a compelling case for himself via the Bible?

As a Christian apologist all you can do at this point is claim that your God is indeed incompetent and needs you to make clear what he was unable to make clear himself.

Just think about it. If Yahweh and Jesus were unable to convince me of their reality why in the world should you think that you could outdo both of them? :-k

Don't you agree that attempting to apologize for a God who wasn't able to make his own case clear is a pretty sad state of affairs?
[center]Image
[/center]

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Athetotheist »

The moral argument you employ here fails to draw any significant distinction between the deity you believe in and any other deity who claims the right to destroy en masse.

And I'm not an atheist.