Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Why does God need help?

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

It's an old question, but let's revisit it:
Why does God apparently need help?

He created the whole of everything, but can't build his own church building? Can't pay the light bill?
Write his own book?
Needs people to go out and spread his name?
Needs doctors to save the lives of his people?

Throughout history, many things that were considered 'of God' have been replaced with knowledge of ourselves and environment.

But some claim that God needs nothing (though it can be argued he needs worship), and yet, it's the doctors that tend to save more lives and God; it's the engineers that build the churches; it's the family what protects the children.

Where is God? Why doesn't he have a much more active, apparent role in these things?
Or are we gradually replacing God in everyday life, leaving him only for the mystical?

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Why does God need help?

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Menotu wrote: It's an old question, but let's revisit it:
All of the things you have mentioned are legitimate concerns for sure. But from a purely theistic perspective, why would a God need mere humans to apologize and explain what he has supposedly tried to explain in his Holy Book?

To begin with even the theists clearly cannot agree on what the Biblical God has to say for if they did they would all be united in a single faction of their theology. Instead they can't even agree among themselves thus proving that even they can't agree on what the Biblical God was trying to say.

I've read the Bible, and far more importantly I've studied the Bible and have given it countless reexaminations based on various apologies offered by theists, yet neither the Bible nor the apologies have made any sense.

What conclusions do the theists jump to? I must then either be stupid or simply refuse to accept what the Bible says. But that accusation doesn't hold water. It's clearly a false accusation. Moreover, if I'm stupid who's fault could that be but he entity who designed my brain. No human can be blamed for being stupid, only their creator could take credit for that result.

So what do we have? We have a God who had two chances to convince me of his existence. Once as Yahweh in the Old Testament, and again as Jesus in the New Testament. In both cases he failed miserably to convince me of his reality.

So now we have a God who is incapable of convincing people of his very own creation to believe in him. And yet we have evangelists who think they can do better than both Jesus and Yahweh by making apologies for why the Bible is such a mess.

Anyone who can't see the problem here must not be looking very closely at all.

Theists can't even get their own stories straight. It's a theology that simply cannot be made to make coherent sense. Why should anyone believe in such an inept God?

If God hasn't been able to convince me of his reality then any evangelist who thinks he or she can surpass God as a communicator has to be suffering from the epitome of arrogance.

If Jesus wasn't compelling why should any evangelist think that they could outdo Jesus? :-k

If God portrayed in the Bible isn't compelling the theology is already dead. And the Biblical God is not the least bit compelling. So it's a done deal.

Any evangelist who thinks that God just needs his or her help to be compelling cannot be thinking very clearly.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Below are my bible based answers to your questions. Scripturally speaking ...
Menotu wrote: It's an old question, but let's revisit it:

God is omnipotent, he is described in the bible as Almighty (having all power), thus he doesnt need anything or anyone to to help or assist him achieve his goals.

RELATED POSTS

Does the idea of being selective in the use of his powers negate God being "all knowing" in nature ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 68#p849068

Is omnipotence AND omniscient even possible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 04#p334604

Can God use his power of foreknowledge selectively?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 14#p848314

Why would and omnipotent God choose to be flexible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 07#p836607

Can an omnipotent God keep the earth in existence forever? [video]
viewtopic.php?p=1074770#p1074770

Can God create a rock so heavy he cannot lift it?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p874295

Can God lie?
viewtopic.php?p=1101395#p1101395

Does omniscience have a bearing on omnipotence?
viewtopic.php?p=1092460#p1092460

Can an omnipotent God want anything?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 89#p848589

If Gods wants a relationship with his children, doesn that mean he is "incomplete"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 9#p1002159

Can a omnipotent God have desires?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p840881

Does God have moral agency?
viewtopic.php?p=974511#p974511

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

OMNIPOTENCE , RESPONSIBILITY and ...SELECTIVE FOREKNOWLEDGE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

[Replying to Menotu]

God does not need help. God graciously invites people to be a part of what He is doing in this world.

You are, obviously, free to decline.

Menotu
Sage

Post #5

Post by Menotu »

bjs wrote: [Replying to Menotu]

God does not need help. God graciously invites people to be a part of what He is doing in this world.

You are, obviously, free to decline.
So he could build his own churches but doesn't, instead, relying on contractors?
He could pay the light bill but doesn't, instead, relying on people to give money so the lights will stay on?
He could convince others but doesn't, relying on missionaries to go to, many times, dangerous places and risk their lives?

Boy, he sounds like a winner!
No wonder people flock to him and worship!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

I imagine that when humans have a 60-year lifespan and you're eternal, it gets irritating telling every generation about yourself over and over.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 6 by Purple Knight]

I believe God is very patient and understands each generation's need to ask the big question. It was for this reason he inspired the bible.

JW

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

Purple Knight wrote: I imagine that when humans have a 60-year lifespan and you're eternal, it gets irritating telling every generation about yourself over and over.
I would doubt any being that's eternal can be irritated by anything. If they could, being eternal would be far more irritating that telling people about yourself. Seems that would be easier than creating everything that exists.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: God is omnipotent, he is described in the bible as Almighty (having all power), thus he doesnt need anything or anyone to to help or assist him achieve his goals.
But you know this isn't true. If that were true then no one would question the validity of this God or the truth of the Bible.

The mere fact that evangelists and Jehovah's Witnesses have to spend their entire life making excuses for why the Bible doesn't make any sense clearly demonstrates that their God is in desperate need of help.

After reading the Old Testament no one should have any questions or doubt about the validity and truth of the God described in the OT. But everyone, including Biblical theists, come away totally confused and each having their own subjective interpretations that aren't even consistent within their own groups.

Same thing with the New Testament. In fact, if Jesus didn't need any help in conveying his message to humanity then what's up with the need for Mark, Matthew, Luke, John and Paul?

Clearly Jesus was in desperate need of help getting his message to humanity, and he hasn't even succeeded to this very day. Billions of people throughout the world aren't even convinced the Jesus was the son of Yahweh, or that Yahweh was God. And those who do accept those things can't get their stories straight.

The apologies you keep linking to at the JW organization don't hold water. And have you even forgotten that the JW organization is only a very recent new-age religion? :-k

What happened between the time Jesus died and the 1870's when the Jehovah's Witnesses organization was invented? Who was helping Jesus get his confused message to everyone during that One-thousand Eight-hundred and seventy years?

Clearly you can't be linking to the JW apologies for a broken theology and simultaneously claim that Jesus doesn't need any help. That's 1870 years too late.

Sorry. But your apologies don't even make any sense.

Your very apologies are proof that you are totally convinced that Jesus and Yahweh are in dire need of help to get his message out to humanity.

You wouldn't be working so hard toward that goal if you didn't believe that your God needs your help. :roll:
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Diagoras
Guru

Post #10

Post by Diagoras »

Menotu wrote:I would doubt any being that's eternal can be irritated by anything.
Getting angry enough to flood the entire world would seem to remain within his purview, though.

This god needs help with anger management more than anything, I reckon.