wannabe
Apprentice

Does Atheism Attract Evil ?

Post #1

Post by wannabe »

Atheism
Attracts Evil ,
Because it has nothing to back it up.

Therefore Evil has an easy target and manifest.

Would it be true to say that the 'pool of christianity' that exists within our society
feels a stronger resistance ( as opposed to those without a god ) to Evil,
given that the Christian God is supposedly Anti-Evil.

Sort of like a force that pushed evil from one place to another until Evil finds a
better place to live. ( Jesus's love exposes evil,) (for he sees all truths and has
high moral standards.).

Cant verify the facts, but i think that the higher percentage of Evil doers
would fall by the way of Atheists.

Simply because of of the way Evil unfolds (or tries to become ).

If someone wants to run with a bad idea, they are not going to
run it through the church first.

So does Atheism Attract Evil ?
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Does Atheism Attract Evil ?

Post #21

Post by Purple Knight »

wannabe wrote:The point of the debate isn't about accusing Atheists of being the cause of the 'attraction of evil'. But to point out that they for the sake of recognizing for their own sake, the consequences of "the nature of the beast'.( or just 'Evil')

If you don't think about it,
You wont be aware of it.

The question was 'does Atheism attract Evil ? Not 'How Evil is Atheism'.

I see it as a possible link in evolution.
I think I see what you're saying, and if you're talking about whole groups or tribes being atheist and evil, maybe. If you want to make a case that British people (the most atheist group at present) are evil, go ahead. You'd probably win that one.

In a vastly multicultural society with an infinite variety of religions to choose from, no. An evil person has much more to gain from pretending to be religious, even if he isn't. He can simply whip up a new religion that justifies any evil act he likes, and everyone has to praise it because it's his culture.

The United States Constitution says (okay, some people don't interpret it this way, but lawmakers regularly do) that if it's your religion to eat babies, Congress shall make no law stopping you from eating babies.

So what is a baby-eater going to do? Be an atheist and go to jail, or make a baby-eating religion and be free to do as he pleases?

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 20 by bluegreenearth]

bluegreenearth wrote:

In that case...

From your perspective, what is the criteria that something must meet in order to be labeled as evil?

---

Every individual has their own perspective of Evil.( T.V. helps)

Recognition of - 'awareness of what is around us', defines the label of Evil.
What meets is, a persons own understanding, and the unwanted recognition of Evil.

I like to think everyone gets it right ,or,has it within them.
But the evidence of bad proves there is Evil.(even if it's not experienced first hand.)
:
:

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #23

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to wannabe]

I agree that "evil" is a subjective concept. This is why I specifically asked for your perspective. I can't begin to evaluate whether atheism attracts evil if I don't know the perspective from which I'm attempting to operate. For example, if the criteria for "evil" is that the action must be motivated by an evangelical theistic belief, then atheism would attract evil in the sense that atheists are a prime target for the evil actions of evangelists. Conversely, if the criteria for "evil" is that the action must be motivated by anti-theism, then atheism would not attract evil in the sense that theists rather than atheists would be the prime target for the evil actions of anti-theists.

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to bluegreenearth]

I don't see Evil as a concept coming from one particular Group, but as an moving concept that affects everyone. however in mixed groups such as multi-culturalism and Atheists (combined), I tend to think that Evil sits at a place it's most comfortable with the least resistance. In my opinion it is harder to attack a group of united individuals than a single individual of an non-united group.

I think to represent oneself as a single individual against Evil (because its always flowing around us) is a more vulnerable position to be in than a united front.

Man made evils' come from bad people, no matter the label they tag themselves with.
When Evil manifests I would say a high percentage of the time it does not start in a Christian camp, (real Christians not fake ones).

The Christian church is blemished by Evil.
Fake Christians.
What is a fake Christian?
Certainly not a Christian - A Fake!
What makes a fake Christian a fake? The fact that the person's (the fake Christian) beliefs don't marry up with the Christian belief (the belief in God and Jesus).
so in truth the fake person bears another true tag.(a fake Christian is someone who lives a lie and is in denial of their own admissions.)

Lies ans denial of truth are characteristics of Evil.
So yes - Evil flows from the Christian church , but not from Christians.
but they unfairly bear the tag.

Purple Night Wrote:

In a vastly multicultural society with an infinite variety of religions to choose from, no. An evil person has much more to gain from pretending to be religious, even if he isn't.
----

So maybe Christians do attract more Evil, but that is not where the Evil comes from.
Because for it to begin, Evil has to be coming from somewhere - Not Christians.

I think it's true that 'Good does attract Evil' - It's Yin Yang .
However, Atheists don't seem to believe that Atheism attracts Evil.

But it's not really about my opinion on the direction of Evil in the world - Just which Group is most vulnerable to Evil (be it a unit of one , or a group of many).
:
:

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by Purple Knight »

wannabe wrote:I don't see Evil as a concept coming from one particular Group, but as an moving concept that affects everyone. however in mixed groups such as multi-culturalism and Atheists (combined), I tend to think that Evil sits at a place it's most comfortable with the least resistance. In my opinion it is harder to attack a group of united individuals than a single individual of an non-united group.
That's exactly why atheism doesn't attract already evil people: We don't group together like that. There are very few (successful) atheist clubs and/or churches. No one can tell us what to do, we're the most distrusted people on the planet, and simultaneously the least protected by anti-discrimination laws.
wannabe wrote:I think to represent oneself as a single individual against Evil (because its always flowing around us) is a more vulnerable position to be in than a united front.
That I can see. That an individual atheist is more vulnerable to the temptation of evil... okay maybe. (Even though statistics do not support this, I can definitely see where you're coming from.)

And as atheists tend to be smarter, we're also more vulnerable to falling into the justification trap, convincing ourselves that our actions are right when they're not. I've fallen in before, but I learned from that.

The clearer question would be does atheism make one as an individual vulnerable to evil. I can see that more easily than I can see atheism attracting evil (which I read to mean attracting already evil people, though I admit I had no reason to read it this way).
wannabe wrote:When Evil manifests I would say a high percentage of the time it does not start in a Christian camp, (real Christians not fake ones).
Deceivers tend to be able to deceive. No one can tell me that me being an atheist means I have to give them money. I get to tell them to piss off.

I don't have an insulative group of people who would protect me from evil, either, and that's the tradeoff. When the evil is inside that group itself more often than not, I consider it a good trade.

(But, I do have to admit, it's very possible that a small-time church full of nothing but dirt-poor rednecks would be even better.)
wannabe wrote:So yes - Evil flows from the Christian church , but not from Christians.
but they unfairly bear the tag.
I'll admit your statement is true (that "real" Christians aren't evil) but I question how unfair it is for Christianity to bear that cross. If I can't keep roaches out of my house, I don't get to throw up my hands and cry that yes, I left food out, yes, I made it a perfect place for roaches to breed and grow, but it was the roaches' fault, not mine.

Now imagine that I maintain a church and my sole task is to keep roaches [read: evil] out of it. Facilitators of evil are not necessarily evil, but it's not unfair that they get called evil. Every time you put money in that collection plate, if you don't know where it's going, and it happens to go to evil, you're facilitating. The biggest deceivers can't exist without huge networks of people helping them, and you take that risk every time you give.

Atheists don't have collection plates. Atheists don't create huge organisations with power structures that allow the rape of children. Some of us probably do rape children, but it's an idiotic thing to do as an atheist because you're going to have nobody to insulate you from punishment. (Which is why those might well pretend to be Christians.)

Real Christians, perhaps (just my opinion) should distance themselves from organisations that have repeatedly not only failed at their sole purpose, but actively worked against it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #26

Post by Tcg »

wannabe wrote:
However, Atheists don't seem to believe that Atheism attracts Evil.
This atheist doesn't believe that atheism attracts evil because no facts have been presented to support the belief that it does. Conjecture and unsupported assertions do not make a sound argument.

You claimed this in the O.P.:
wannabe wrote:
Cant verify the facts...
This has proven to be true throughout this thread. Absent verifiable facts, there is no valid reason to believe that atheism attracts evil.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

wannabe wrote: Atheism
Attracts Evil ,
Because it has nothing to back it up.

Therefore Evil has an easy target and manifest.

Would it be true to say that the 'pool of christianity' that exists within our society
feels a stronger resistance ( as opposed to those without a god ) to Evil,
given that the Christian God is supposedly Anti-Evil.

Sort of like a force that pushed evil from one place to another until Evil finds a
better place to live. ( Jesus's love exposes evil,) (for he sees all truths and has
high moral standards.).

Cant verify the facts, but i think that the higher percentage of Evil doers
would fall by the way of Atheists.

Simply because of of the way Evil unfolds (or tries to become ).

If someone wants to run with a bad idea, they are not going to
run it through the church first.

So does Atheism Attract Evil ?

Does religious belief attract evil?

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6
[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:
19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:
[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Wikipedia
Waldensians
Piedmont Easter
In January 1655, the Duke of Savoy commanded the Waldensians to attend Mass or remove to the upper valleys of their homeland, giving them twenty days in which to sell their lands. Being in the midst of winter, the order was intended to persuade the Vaudois to choose the former; however, the bulk of the populace instead chose the latter, abandoning their homes and lands in the lower valleys and removing to the upper valleys.

By mid-April, when it became clear that the Duke's efforts to force the Vaudois to conform to Catholicism had failed, he tried another approach. Under the guise of false reports of Vaudois uprisings, the Duke sent troops into the upper valleys to quell the local populace. He required that the local populace quarter the troops in their homes, which the local populace complied with. But the quartering order was a ruse to allow the troops easy access to the populace. On 24 April 1655, at 4 a.m., the signal was given for a general massacre.

The Duke's forces did not simply slaughter the inhabitants. They are reported to have unleashed an unprovoked campaign of looting, rape, torture, and murder. According to one report by a Peter Liegé:

Little children were torn from the arms of their mothers, clasped by their tiny feet, and their heads dashed against the rocks; or were held between two soldiers and their quivering limbs torn up by main force. Their mangled bodies were then thrown on the highways or fields, to be devoured by beasts. The sick and the aged were burned alive in their dwellings. Some had their hands and arms and legs lopped off, and fire applied to the severed parts to staunch the bleeding and prolong their suffering. Some were flayed alive, some were roasted alive, some disemboweled; or tied to trees in their own orchards, and their hearts cut out. Some were horribly mutilated, and of others the brains were boiled and eaten by these cannibals. Some were fastened down into the furrows of their own fields, and ploughed into the soil as men plough manure into it. Others were buried alive. Fathers were marched to death with the heads of their sons suspended round their necks. Parents were compelled to look on while their children were first outraged [raped], then massacred, before being themselves permitted to die.

This massacre became known as the Piedmont Easter. An estimate of some 1,700 Waldensians were slaughtered
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

Or could it be that "evil" is a matter of opinion?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Zzyzx »

wannabe wrote: So does Atheism Attract Evil ?
Atheism (without belief in gods) attracts evil comparable to A-Santa (without belief in Santa) or A-Fairies (without belief in fairies).

Notice that people without belief in Santa or Fairies do not form a cohesive group, do not share a life guide, do not hold weekly reinforcement meetings, do not baptize one another. The same is true of those without belief in gods.

Are Leprechaun believers any more or less evil than those without belief in Leprechauns? Would adopting Leprechaun beliefs cause people to be less evil?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #29

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 27 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Although its off topic.
However you raise the point of how Evil 'God believers' might be. As a rebuff to the question.

I might point out that you are using Facts from a book Atheists believe to be a fairy tale.

As far as history goes it was Atheists who created God not God who created Atheists.
(the fake God whom Atheists do not recognize.)
Because as evolution from apes, before religion was a word, the only people on the planet had to be Atheist.
(god was created by - probably a group of brainstorming ,Atheists pondering the Question of 'what happens after we die'.) Hence the fairy tale begins.

However this is not my belief.
I believe God was there at the start of his own creation and recognized by the very first people he created.

Atheists shouldn't attack a God they created (from their point of view) with what they believe to be a fairy tale (they created).

' The way I see it' God created all things Good and Evil. For his own purpose.
(Atheism is at least a result of his creation.)

For the first part none of what you presented is true (in the eyes of an atheist unless there really is a God.)

And to address the issue of 'The duke of Savoy', I give you this :

Atheism and Mass Murder

Joseph Stalin's atheistic regime killed tens of millions of people.
Concerning atheism and mass murder, Christian apologist Gregory Koukl wrote that "the assertion is that religion has caused most of the killing and bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false. This is one of them."[1] Koukl details the number of people killed in various events involving theism and compares them to the much higher tens of millions of people killed under atheistic communist regimes, in which militant atheism served as the official doctrine of the state.[1]

https://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism_a ... y_atheists

We can throw a lot at each other for the sake of a google war but that would prove nothing in the wake of the question at hand.

And yes Evil is a matter of opinion - But only if it exists to have an opinion about.
I think it does.
:
:

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #30

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 28 by Zzyzx]

Zzyzx Wrote :

Atheism (without belief in gods) attracts evil comparable to A-Santa (without belief in Santa) or A-Fairies (without belief in fairies).

Notice that people without belief in Santa or Fairies do not form a cohesive group, do not share a life guide, do not hold weekly reinforcement meetings, do not baptize one another. The same is true of those without belief in gods.

Are Leprechaun believers any more or less evil than those without belief in Leprechauns? Would adopting Leprechaun beliefs cause people to be less evil?
-----

Didn't Joseph Stalin have a regime (with followers)?
are there no other organised groups of Athiests?

Stay Home. Save Lives : Help Stop Coronavirus
Atheist groups

About 10,900,000 results (0.62 seconds)
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Pages in category "Atheist organizations"
Allianz vun Humanisten, Atheisten an Agnostiker.
American Association for the Advancement of Atheism.
American Atheists.
American Humanist Association.
Association of Atheists and Freethinkers.
Association of Black Humanists.
Ateizm DerneÄŸi.
The Atheist Agenda.
More items...

-----
I beg to differ.
:
: