Why did God create Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Why did God create Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Post #1

Post by Donray »

If you belive God create it, then God at least does nothing to stop it. Is God killing many humans again to be spiteful? To teach us a lesson? Just because he can?

OR

IS God testing us to make sure we still have faith as he kills your parents, spouse or kids?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Why did God create Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Post #151

Post by Tcg »

AgnosticBoy wrote:
If you haven't noticed, NONE of these experts are claiming to know nothing about immunity and this current virus.
I addressed your claim to know something about immunity and COVID-19. Your are pushing a supposed "plan" to deal with this pandemic based on knowledge neither you nor anyone else has.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #152

Post by Zzyzx »

AgnosticBoy wrote: There is no moral option for the 2020 election.
The candidates have not been selected – only presumed at this point. How can you know about presence or absence of a “moral option�?
AgnosticBoy wrote: While you're quick to bash Trump, but you should also be willing to bash Biden's inappropriate behavior towards women. He's admitted to touching women. He now has a rape allegation against him.
Trump Has Made 18,000 False or Misleading Claims Since Coming to Office� https://www.politicususa.com/2020/04/14 ... -says.html

And

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything." Access Hollywood tape

Some people attempt to defend a person of such 'character' – often with 'Well, someone else was accused of an incident of inappropriate behavior' (as though that exonerated or justified their favorite).
AgnosticBoy wrote: Vote for that without asking questions. Typical!
I have not indicated how I would vote.

It would be VERY foolish to suggest that I would not or do not ask questions. Even the most naive would likely conclude otherwise based on my posts.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Re: Why did God create Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Post #153

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 144 by AgnosticBoy]
Under my view, it is only the high risk population that should be isolating themselves. In many cases, that would already involve minimizing contact with those outside of your household unless it's necessary.
Covide-19 is highly infectious, that is where its most dangerous aspect comes from. The more people that get infected, the more people they can go on to infect. Even though symptoms are mild in many, they are also very serious in many. As the number of infections increases, the number of people requiring intensive care increases as does the number of deaths. The burden on the health system and society in general gets greater and greater.

So, people who are happy to have a runny nose and a cough and continue to mingle may not be harming themselves but they are harming, and potentially killing, countless others. While we have an idea who are the most vulnerable the reality is that everyone is vulnerable. The guidelines for stalling the progress of this virus are quite clear. There are no scientifically tested treatments available. The media jumps on every report that suggests some sort of break, but they are not treatments that have been rigorously tested. It's just wishful thinking on the part of a beleaguered public.

This article gives very good graphical explanations:
How coronavirus spreads through a population and how we can beat it
https://www.theguardian.com/world/datab ... -the-curve

Clownboat
Savant

Post #154

Post by Clownboat »

myth-one.com wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
[Replying to post 109 by AgnosticBoy]

Today, the makers of disinfectants issued warnings to not ingest their products as recommended by the president of the United States as a treatment for COVID-19.

Don't drink Lysol.

It's official, dumb is now fashionable! :(

Hype that.
President Trump asked about Lysol. That was not the best thing to do considering some of his followers might experiment on that for themselves.

But he also touted the drug Remdesivir. And now science has proven that the drug is effective for treating covid-19.

I'm not sure if you were trying to paint a picture that Trump has been a complete failure on this virus, esp. on drug recommendations. If so, do you agree he was right on Remdesivir?

The point is one mistake doesn't make him an incompetent president, especially when you factor in his POSITIVES, like his touting of a drug that is actually effective.

Let that be a lesson to all Liberals.
I'm obviously more conservative than you.

For example, I would "never, never, hardly ever" vote for anyone who might recommend ingesting disinfectants to cure any illness.

That's irrational, not conservative.

Anyone who followed his advise should sue for any damages they suffered as a result.
People should learn to think for themselves and not be sheep, not try to sue our government. Actively culling the herd of such people would be evil IMO, but if they are doing it themselves, would it be good for society?

This I'm a victim mentality lets far to many people off the hook.

"What, I can soak myself in gasoline and light myself on fire to cure the disease? Woohoo!"

I'm not saying we should hand them the gas and a lighter, but should we encourage them to try to sue for such actions they took against themselves? That I'm not so sure of, but perhaps I'm being too cold?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #155

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Here's something else Democrat governors should factor in before ADDING more restrictions on outdoor activity:
"Increased social isolation, loneliness, health anxiety, stress and an economic downturn are a perfect storm to harm people's mental health and wellbeing," said Prof Rory O'Connor, one of the paper's authors, from the University of Glasgow.

Another, of 1,099 members of the public, revealed worries about the effects of social isolation and financial difficulties created by the response to the crisis.

While a rise in anxiety and stress is expected during the pandemic, the paper says there is a risk that the numbers of people with depression and those self-harming or taking their own lives will increase.

During the Sars epidemic of 2003, for example, there was a 30% increase in suicide in the over-65s, the paper says.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52295894

When you lock up people in their homes, and tell them they can only go to stores where a lot of the supplies are already taken, this itself starts causing harm. So are you really interested in avoiding harm Democrat governors? Are you really going to keep ADDING restrictions while other states are opening up, especially given the FACT that there's a way to loosen restrictions by only isolating the HIGH risk population?

When you have a governor that can't figure out how to open the economy while keeping death count low, and it's something that can be done right now, then that is the height of incompetence.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #156

Post by myth-one.com »

Clownboat wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:

Today, the makers of disinfectants issued warnings to not ingest their products as recommended by the president of the United States as a treatment for COVID-19.

Don't drink Lysol.

Hype that.
President Trump asked about Lysol. That was not the best thing to do considering some of his followers might experiment on that for themselves.

But he also touted the drug Remdesivir. And now science has proven that the drug is effective for treating covid-19.

I'm not sure if you were trying to paint a picture that Trump has been a complete failure on this virus, esp. on drug recommendations. If so, do you agree he was right on Remdesivir?

The point is one mistake doesn't make him an incompetent president, especially when you factor in his POSITIVES, like his touting of a drug that is actually effective.

For example, I would "never, never, hardly ever" vote for anyone who might recommend ingesting disinfectants to cure any illness.

Anyone who followed his advise should sue for any damages they suffered as a result.
People should learn to think for themselves and not be sheep, not try to sue our government.
So you are OK with the leader of our country suggesting a remedy which would result in the likely death of those who followed his advice?
Clownboat wrote:Actively culling the herd of such people would be evil IMO, but if they are doing it themselves, would it be good for society?
They would be doing it due to their leader's recommendation.

Would they have done it on their own accord without any suggestion from the leader?

And it would not be good for society, as trust in the leader's advice, intelligence, and honesty would be eroded.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #157

Post by Danmark »

Clownboat wrote: People should learn to think for themselves and not be sheep, not try to sue our government. Actively culling the herd of such people would be evil IMO, but if they are doing it themselves, would it be good for society?

This I'm a victim mentality lets far to many people off the hook.

"What, I can soak myself in gasoline and light myself on fire to cure the disease? Woohoo!"

I'm not saying we should hand them the gas and a lighter, but should we encourage them to try to sue for such actions they took against themselves? That I'm not so sure of, but perhaps I'm being too cold?
Seems to me the sheep are the ones stupid enough to blindly follow the obscenity of ignorance and dishonesty that is the Trump administration.

Re: suing people and the government for gross negligence and incompetent leadership, that is what people do to NOT be victims. They fight back. That's all a lawsuit is, a civilized alternative to a fist fight or worse. I've seen poor and dangerous presidencies before, but Trump's is an avalanche of mistakes and now cowardice.

"I don't take responsibility. It's up to the States."
__ donald F. trump

This, when the nation needs national leadership more than ever.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #158

Post by AgnosticBoy »

myth-one.com wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:
AgnosticBoy wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:

Don't drink Lysol.

Hype that.

People should learn to think for themselves and not be sheep, not try to sue our government.
So you are OK with the leader of our country suggesting a remedy which would result in the likely death of those who followed his advice?
Clownboat wrote:Actively culling the herd of such people would be evil IMO, but if they are doing it themselves, would it be good for society?
They would be doing it due to their leader's recommendation.

Would they have done it on their own accord without any suggestion from the leader?

And it would not be good for society, as trust in the leader's advice, intelligence, and honesty would be eroded.
it would also help if the mainstream media quits playing that clip over and over and over again. Keeping the issue in the media is also keeping it in the public's eye. So if anything, the media would bear some responsibility, especially for twisting it to say that Trump recommended Lysol as opposed to asking about it.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #159

Post by myth-one.com »

AgnosticBoy wrote:It would also help if the mainstream media quits playing that clip over and over and over again. Keeping the issue in the media is also keeping it in the public's eye. So if anything, the media would bear some responsibility, especially for twisting it to say that Trump recommended Lysol as opposed to asking about it.
Trump suggested the possibility of studying injecting disinfectants into COVID-19 patients or bringing UV light “inside� their bodies to kill the deadly virus, while nodding towards Dr. Birx seeking approval.

A leading disinfectant producer quickly urged people not to ingest their products!

=========================================

The truth is being reported by the vast majority of mainstream media!

And they're generally doing a fantastic job!

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #160

Post by Zzyzx »

AgnosticBoy wrote: That was not the best thing to do considering some of his followers might experiment on that for themselves.
It doesn't say much for the intelligence and judgment of people who take medical advice from someone who stares at a solar eclipse (or people who attempt to excuse the ignorance of the comment).
AgnosticBoy wrote: But he also touted the drug Remdesivir. And now science has proven that the drug is effective for treating covid-19.

Anything at hand to plug holes in a sinking boat.
But the results leaked Thursday are far from definitive. The study in question is a “compassionate use� trial, in which experimental drugs are given to patients with severe illnesses prior to FDA approval. Compassionate-use studies do not include control groups of patients not treated with the drug, making it impossible to distinguish between the effects of RDV and the natural course of the illness. Gilead was quick to caution against reading too much into the preliminary results, saying in a statement that “the totality of the data need to be analyzed in order to draw any conclusions from the trial.� Indeed, the outcomes of the Chicago patients could be wholly unrelated to the treatment, and there is some evidence that the results are unexceptional. https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/ ... onclusive/
AgnosticBoy wrote: The point is one mistake doesn't make him an incompetent president, especially when you factor in his POSITIVES, like his touting of a drug that is actually effective.
ONE mistake? Three years of mistakes and thousands of false statements DOES indicate incompetence.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Let that be a lesson to all Liberals.
Of course, let's make a pandemic into a partisan issue.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence