The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #661

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: What throne did Jesus sit on after he ascended?

If you show me which scripture with the word "throne" in it you are thinking of, I'll be happy to explain how it applies.

JW
Good counter.

In view of that non-answer, I will now rephrase my question into two questions.

When did Jesus become King?

What, and/or who, does he reign over?[/i]

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #662

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 623 by PinSeeker]

Checkpoint wrote:

What do you understand Jesus meant when he announced, "the kingdom of God is near"?
Pinseeker wrote
Well I'm not JW, of course, but I'll answer this. It means the Kingdom is not merely something to come in the (distant) future, but also here now (in that very day Jesus was speaking).
So, how did/how does, "is near" become "in that very day Jesus was speaking"?

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #663

Post by PinSeeker »

Checkpoint wrote:
  • Checkpoint: What do you understand Jesus meant when he announced, "the kingdom of God is near"?

Pinseeker wroteWell I'm not JW, of course, but I'll answer this. It means the Kingdom is not merely something to come in the (distant) future, but also here now (in that very day Jesus was speaking).
So, how did/how does, "is near" become "in that very day Jesus was speaking"?
I think it would be helpful for you to cite the exact Scripture you are referring to and to explain your take on it. Maybe you have somewhere along the way with JW and I missed it.

But just so that you don't accuse me of a "non-answer," by "is near," I generally understand Jesus to mean, in no uncertain terms, that the kingdom is not far away -- not distant -- in any sense. And I understand Him to mean that with regard to space as well as time, i.e., in that very place He was speaking (and in all places... the world) as well as in that very day He was speaking (and every moment since).

Grace and peace to you, Checkpoint.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #664

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: What throne did Jesus sit on after he ascended?

If you show me which scripture with the word "throne" in it you are thinking of, I'll be happy to explain how it applies.

JW
Good counter.
Of course its a "non-answer".... did you expect me to explain a scripture you haven't presented?

You ask "throne did Jesus sit on after he ascended?" How do you know he sat on a throne at all if not from scripture? If your question is based on scripture present the scripture, if not I have no interest in answering.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #665

Post by William »

My take on 'The Kingdom of God' is that it is representative of the way The Creator would have human beings actively participating in, as a natural way of living life.

With the event of CVD19 humans have the opportunity to re-think their position while in lockdown.

This allows for contemplation - evaluating - redirecting ones life-energy into something based upon giving rather than being greedy...replacing old with something new.

I have long understood that the potential for humans to build such a system of parity exists as a dormant algorithm which requires 'booting up'.

I tend to see that a species which can do but won't do or expects some type of parental Entities to 'come back' and build it for us on the assumption that even if most humans did want to build a system of Parity, those few in control of humanity through the power of money and associated influence, may have sold humanity a lie - one which made them filthy rich - which effectively has us ignoring the human potential mentioned, or complaining that 'it can't be done unless some off-world/dimensional species comes and does it for us'.

I say this with the understanding that if it is a lie created by former world leaders in order to get humans to tow their line even if the bulk of humans did not like it, with the lie in place, those humans would suck it up as a 'temporary inconvenience to which an off-world savior would 'one day' eliminate' and begrudgingly go alone with.

If that is the case, then this lie which has been polished through the centuries has created something of a monster in the masses because the worlds leaders and the systems of parity have crashed and in that, rather than the masses seeing it as a perfect opportunity to build a system of parity, they won't do so, because of the lie they believe in. The lie they bought.

But not all people believe that lie and hopefully their number increases. Because, if indeed it is a story fabricated, then The Son may not be returning and The Father may never give him the nod to do so, and while that might seem harsh to some, it is a perfectly justified decision, since - as I said - "My take on 'The Kingdom of God' is that it is representative of the way The Creator would have human beings actively participating in, as a natural way of living life."...

...so in that, we have already been given the means of saving ourselves and if we are - in the majority - still believing a lie so we don't have to activate that dormant God-given ability/algorithm - then we have purposefully neglected to figure it out and thus reap the harvest of that collective decision.

Why should JWs or theist or anyone else, be spared that?

Build it, or perish not trying.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #666

Post by onewithhim »

showme wrote: [Replying to post 654 by Eloi]
The Kingdom of God is about His King, not about another god.

A throne is not only a symbol of a king, but it is a symbol of a Judge too.

Jesus showed us to ask for the kingdom of God. He is the King of that kingdom, and it is a real government that will execute its power on the whole planet after all human governments are destroyed (Dan. 2:44; 7:13,14).
The "Kingdom of God" (Ezekiel 34:23-24) is about "I, the LORD, will be their God, and My servant David will be prince among them." "And My servant David will feed them... and be there shepherd". As for judging, "thus says the Lord God to them, 'Behold, I even I, will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep'" (Ezekiel 34:20). The "king" will be "My servant David" (Ezekiel 37:24)
"The LORD," I trust you realize, is JEHOVAH, the Father, the Source of all life & being. His servant David means the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Jesus was appointed King by Jehovah.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #667

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 659 by Checkpoint]

Jesus reigns over his congregation now, as I have said many times before, guiding them in the preaching work to give the nations a witness. Soon he will come in bold Kingdom power, to eradicate the wicked people.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #668

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 664 by onewithhim]
The "king" will be "My servant David" (Ezekiel 37:24)

"The LORD," I trust you realize, is JEHOVAH, the Father, the Source of all life & being. His servant David means the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Jesus was appointed King by Jehovah.
When was Jesus appointed king, and what did that bring into operation?

Has he been reigning since that appointment?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #669

Post by Checkpoint »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 659 by Checkpoint]

Jesus reigns over his congregation now, as I have said many times before, guiding them in the preaching work to give the nations a witness. Soon he will come in bold Kingdom power, to eradicate the wicked people.
What is it to reign, do you think?

Isn't it to rule over, to have authority and power over, so that they are not only subjects but also subject to you?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #670

Post by onewithhim »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 664 by onewithhim]
The "king" will be "My servant David" (Ezekiel 37:24)

When was Jesus appointed king, and what did that bring into operation?

Has he been reigning since that appointment?
Jesus was chosen to be the future King most likely immediately after Adam and Eve rebelled and Jehovah put into motion his plan for a Messiah to eventually crush Satan under his feet. (Gen.3:15) The way I see it, Jesus was the "King Designate," right up until 1914 when he started his rule. Similar to when a president is elected. There is a period of time after his election wherein he does not yet rule. Then when the certain number of months is up, he exerts his ruling power.