What is the Biblical view of hell?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

SallyF wrote: The concept of Hell is one of the many unmarketable, embarrassingly unbelievable religious concepts that has been recently swept under the altar in the severely diluted quasi-belief system that passes for Christianity in certain circles.
Divine Insight wrote: In fact, I think this is why Christianity invented eternal punishment in hell. They started to realize that just plain dying wouldn't be compelling. So instead they invented the concept of "Everlasting Punishment" for those who refuse to comply.
Questions for debate:
What concepts do we have of hell that are not in the Bible?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the Biblical view of hell?

Post #691

Post by PinSeeker »

bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am [Replying to otseng in post #681]

Bart Ehrman, a well respected Biblical Scholar and textual critic, describes his professional perspective in the video interview below:
Let me correct something in your post, BGE (respectfully, of course):
  • Bart Ehrman, a well-respected -- by some -- Biblical Scholar and textual critic...
Bart Ehrman -- in the opinion of many well-respected theologians and Biblical Scholars and Bible-believing Christians -- is quite the mixed bag.

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #692

Post by myth-one.com »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #688]
It is, though, interesting to think about where the unrepentant are between the time they physically die and the resurrection and Judgment.

My personal opinion is that, when an unrepentant person dies physically, his or her next conscious thought is at the moment he or she is physically resurrected.
That is correct.

It is also the same for believers.

All are "resting" in their graves awaiting resurrection.

It will seem to all who die their "first death" that they never died at all, because they have no awareness of the passage of time or any other thing:

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Whether a person is in the grave one second or thousands of years, both will seem as if it was instantaneous.

======================================================
In posting #690 Pinsetter wrote:At the resurrection, our spirits are reunited with our physical bodies.
WHY?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #693

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am [Replying to PinSeeker in post #688]
It is, though, interesting to think about where the unrepentant are between the time they physically die and the resurrection and Judgment.
My personal opinion is that, when an unrepentant person dies physically, his or her next conscious thought is at the moment he or she is physically resurrected.
That is correct.
Well thank you, myth-one, but I don't need your affirmation; I know it's correct. :) Again, though, it's only have true -- it's true for our physical bodies, but our spirits are very conscious between the time of physical death and the resurrection. And that's correct, too, so, no affirmation needed there, either. :D
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am It is also the same for believers.
Yes, and unbelievers.
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am All are "resting" in their graves awaiting resurrection.
Their bodies are, yes, but not their spirits. Believers and unbelievers alike.
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am It will seem to all who die their "first death" that they never died at all, because they have no awareness of the passage of time or any other thing...
Physically speaking (regarding our physical bodies) that's true. But regarding our spirits, not so much, no. The whole of Ecclesiastes is about "life under the sun," or our physical lives here on earth.
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am
In posting #690 Pinsetter wrote:At the resurrection, our spirits are reunited with our physical bodies.
WHY?
LOL! <eyeroll> Um, because we will be like Jesus after His resurrection, that's why.

<SIGH> Yes, I know, we've all heard it a thousand times from you that the physical and the spiritual are totally separate and never coinciding. That's terribly wrong -- for believers, anyway, both before the physical death and after the resurrection -- as we've discussed many times before. And you misunderstand Paul's statement that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God," as we've also discussed many times before. So it goes.

And... yet again... my name is PinSeeker, not PinSetter. I seek pins on the golf course (with my shots). I do not set them, as a greenskeeper would. :)

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #694

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am [Replying to PinSeeker in post #688]
That is correct.
Well thank you, myth-one, but I don't need your affirmation; I know it's correct. :) Again, though, it's only half true -- it's true for our physical bodies, but our spirits are very conscious between the time of physical death and the resurrection. And that's correct, too, so, no affirmation needed there, either. :D
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

How can we be conscious while knowing not any thing?

========================================================

The only body humans have is a physical body. And when it dies, we know nothing until our resurrection.

For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)

Once again, what would any spiritual bodied being gain by also having a joined physical body?

Is pain a good addition?

How about hunger, thirst, fear of death, death itself?

What positive attribute does the physical body bring to your "conjoined pairs"?

======================================================

Satan quickly implanted the idea of mankind's immortal soul to seal the scriptures from your understanding, and it has worked brilliantly:

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (Genesis 3:4)

Satan lied when he informed Eve that she would live forever, "Ye shall not surely die." Mainstream Christian theologians have incorporated the lie into their theologies for nearly two thousand years!

If man is born with everlasting life, why does God offer everlasting life to believers?:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Just a few of the questions which you cannot answer.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #695

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:47 pm Just a few of the questions which you cannot answer.
Oh, yes, I can give you answers for all your questions... and also your "questions" (the quotes denote silliness). And I have, over and over and over again. No more, though.

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #696

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:55 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:47 pm Just a few of the questions which you cannot answer.
Oh, yes, I can give you answers for all your questions... and also your "questions" (the quotes denote silliness). And I have, over and over and over again. No more, though.

Grace and peace to you.
That's fine.

You're doing what the scriptures prophesied.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #697

Post by bluegreenearth »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:58 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am [Replying to otseng in post #681]

Bart Ehrman, a well respected Biblical Scholar and textual critic, describes his professional perspective in the video interview below:
Let me correct something in your post, BGE (respectfully, of course):
  • Bart Ehrman, a well-respected -- by some -- Biblical Scholar and textual critic...
Bart Ehrman -- in the opinion of many well-respected theologians and Biblical Scholars and Bible-believing Christians -- is quite the mixed bag.

Grace and peace to you.
That was more of a clarification than a correction, but your point is taken. I will add my own clarification in that it is the factual and verifiable information Dr. Ehrman provides in support of his scholarly perspective that should be considered and not Dr. Ehrman's reputation among theologians and Biblical scholars. If the information has merit, then it doesn't matter if it was Dr. Ehrman or someone else who supplied it.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #698

Post by PinSeeker »

bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm That was more of a clarification than a correction, but your point is taken. I will add my own clarification in that it is the factual and verifiable information Dr. Ehrman provides in support of his scholarly perspective that should be considered and not Dr. Ehrman's reputation among theologians and Biblical scholars. If the information has merit, then it doesn't matter if it was Dr. Ehrman or someone else who supplied it.
Agreed. If indeed it is really factual. He does start with the Apocrypha, which is not Scripture, and that should tell us something right off the bat. Grace and peace to you.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #699

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Grace and peace to you.
That's fine.

Well, thank you. I'm very glad to hear that. :) But I'm going to walk by the Spirit, not, uh, by myth-one. :D

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #700

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:45 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Grace and peace to you.
That's fine.

Well, thank you. I'm very glad to hear that. :) But I'm going to walk by the Spirit, not, uh, by myth-one. :D

Grace and peace to you.
You accept the devil's lie that you have an immortal soul.

And you claim to walk by the Spirit.

That's impossible:

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. (Matthew 6:24)