Moderator: Moderators

Simon
Student

Antony Flew - No Longer an Atheist

Post #1

Post by Simon »

A note from Craig Hazen, Professor at Biola University:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Perhaps you have heard the dramatic news that legendary British atheist, Antony Flew, has recently turned to belief in God. [See Southern Appeal post on this here] Well, as Paul Harvey would say, here is the rest of the story.

We have been preparing to publish a definitive interview on Flew's change of mind (an interview conducted masterfully by Dr. Gary Habermas) in the January 2005 issue of our academic journal "Philosophia Christi." At the same time, we were planning to release the news to the world-wide media and tell the whole story in the pages of our journal.

Well, as often happens, the story has broken early. ABC News and the Associated Press have posted reports of Flew's embrace of theism.

However, what the news organizations do not have is the EXCLUSIVE, DEFINITIVE INTERVIEW WITH FLEW ABOUT HIS JOURNEY. BUT WE DO!!

Here is an excerpt from the interview to entice you:

-----------------------------------------
GARY HABERMAS: You very kindly noted that our debates and discussions had influenced your move in the direction of theism. You mentioned that this initial influence contributed in part to your comment that naturalistic efforts have never succeeded . . . Which arguments for God's existence did you find most persuasive?

ANTONY FLEW: I think that the most impressive arguments for God's existence are those that are supported by recent scientific discoveries. . . . I think the argument to Intelligent Design is enormously stronger than it was when I first met it.
-----------------------------------------

To get the entire interview on line, just go to:
http://biola.edu/antonyflew/

To subscribe to the cutting-edge philosophy journal, Philosophia Christi, just go to: www.biola.edu/philchristi
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Very interesting. Especially that it was science that converted him from atheism to deism. And to do it at age 81 and after being a leading figure in atheist circles is amazing.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

Just goes to show you that no one is immune from persuasion via the appeal to science. I also do not discount dementia.

Simon
Student

Post #4

Post by Simon »

What are you talking about?

Nyril
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Nyril »

When one ages, their mental condition tends to degrade as well. As I myself have volunteered at nursing homes where this was indeed the case, one cannot discount entirely the factor of age in his choice.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #6

Post by ENIGMA »

Nyril wrote:When one ages, their mental condition tends to degrade as well. As I myself have volunteered at nursing homes where this was indeed the case, one cannot discount entirely the factor of age in his choice.
After living at home with a grandparent for my life up to this point, I would have to concur.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Simon
Student

Post #7

Post by Simon »

These replies are perfect examples of how far some atheists and agnostics will go in order to protect their blind faith that God does not exist.

Antony Flew is one of the most well-known, well-respected, and intelligent persons in our time. He’s still lecturing. He’s still sharp as a tack. You can tell this even if the only words you’ve ever read that he has uttered are those in the interview here, which was conducted this year. Dementia? That’s the saddest response I’ve ever heard. It really is time to grow up kids.

Appeal to science? It’s funny how scientific research and theory are the most cited reasons for atheists when debating the existence of God and related issues. What an amazing turn of events.. generally nontheists use the term “science” as if inserting into any conversation automatically adds weight to their position. Now, “appeal to science” is being portrayed as a fallacy.. the old words of and old man.

Pathetic. It really is.

Suppose Billy Graham, also in his 80s, were to say that he, after decades of ministry, has decided that the scientific evidence leads him to believe that God does not exist. Would you cry "appeal to science!" or "dementia!" then? Of course you wouldn't. Such a story would be all over the news.. and atheists would say, "Billy has seen the light."

Did any of you even read the interview?
Last edited by Simon on Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potwalloper.
Scholar

Post #8

Post by potwalloper. »

When one ages, their mental condition tends to degrade as well. As I myself have volunteered at nursing homes where this was indeed the case, one cannot discount entirely the factor of age in his choice
I have to agree - he probably has gone "down the dip" - the seventh age of man awaits us all
Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything,

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

I read the interview. And he demonstrates no symptoms of dementia that I can see. He seems to have all his mental gears operating correctly.

The answer to his conversion is not a lack of mental faculties, but rather, he has reached his decision through full use of his mental faculties. As he states, "It has become inordinately difficult even to begin to think about constructing a naturalistic theory of the evolution of that first reproducing organism." Such a conclusion is not reached by a person with dementia.

At first, I had suspected his conversion to be some sort of ultimate life insurance policy. But, he has only converted over to deism, not theism. And he does not believe in an afterlife. So, my suspicion is ruled out.

To be an atheist for 66 years and to publish numerous books on atheism, then to totally abandon it would be shocking to other atheists. But it is too naive to discount it as some sort of mental deficiency on his part.

If his newfound belief upsets people, Flew says "that's too bad" -- but he's always been determined to "follow the evidence wherever it leads."

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/121004-bb-athiest.html

I feel this is a sign of the times. The power of science behind ID and Creationism is accumulating momentum. The evidence for special creation is becoming much more convincing and powerful. Enough so to even convert one of the leading philosophical atheist figures of our time.

Corvus
Guru

Post #10

Post by Corvus »

Perhaps you have heard the dramatic news that legendary British atheist, Antony Flew, has recently turned to belief in God.
But he hasn’t turned to a belief in “God”, he has accepted the belief in “a” god, with lower case “g”; that is, a detached, apathetic creator-being with the qualities of intelligence and power, with what appears to be a “maybe” on omniscience and omnipotence, and even these seem to be rather tentative responses, so, from the interview, I am not sure if agnostic deism would not be a better label. He also seems completely sceptical about the existence of an afterlife. A blow to atheists? No, I don’t think so. Not any more than it is a triumph for Christians or any reason for them to gloat.
Simon wrote: These replies are perfect examples of how far some atheists and agnostics will go in order to protect their blind faith that God does not exist.
This would be true if Antony Flew’s “conversion” was evidence for or against a belief, which it is not, any more than Antony Flew’s allegiance to atheism was something that made Christians think twice about their faith.

I could just as easily say “I still have faith in Bertrand Russel and Schopenhauer”, though the statement still wouldn’t be at all credible or convincing.
It’s funny how scientific research and theory are the most cited reasons for atheists when debating the existence of God and related issues.
I find this hard to believe, because most theists and nontheists alike agree that science cannot prove or disprove the existence of a god or gods.

Though I do not ascribe his “conversion” to dementia, I believe itis still something to take into consideration. Anton flew over the cuckoo's nest? Perhaps. The fire of his youth has been spent, and maybe with it, the heat of his opposition to theism, though it is more than likely that he is still quite passionate and his mind is still clear. Robert Graves, I recall, wrote his greatest love poetry when he was over 80.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.