A comment made at the LDS conference today

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

One of the leaders of the LDS church made a comment without any supporting evidence today at theSemiannual Conference.

An Apostle of the church said that the LDS members, and mainly the missionaries, are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the bible. This made me ask the question,are they? When is was member I found the knowledge of the bible lacking considerably amongst the members and the missionaries. Here were talking about 19-21 year old males and 21-23 year old females.

I think that atheists that used to be christian know the bible better than most christians. On this debate site I have found atheists to usually be more knowledgable. Christians on here are highly knowledgeable as well, and the LDS I have debated are lacking that knowledge.

What do you say? Are the LDS more knowledgeable?

Who seems to have the most bible knowledge?

Do atheists have a leg in this argument?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #41

Post by Nickman »

[Replying to post 40 by East of Eden]

How is the news evidence for satan? Or his ability to know the bible better than anyone?

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #42

Post by East of Eden »

Nickman wrote: [Replying to post 40 by East of Eden]

How is the news evidence for satan? Or his ability to know the bible better than anyone?
The unrelenting evil we see certainly corroborates the Biblical contention that Satan is the prince of this world, temporarily.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Iam
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by Iam »

East of Eden wrote:

The unrelenting evil we see certainly corroborates the Biblical contention that Satan is the prince of this world, temporarily.
Is your life really episodes of unrelenting evil? I'm so sorry for that. You do have a computer or some such how do you feel about the starving families around the world? I think that you may be overstating your position regarding "unrelenting evil" don't you? I personally live in a world of unrelenting LOVE, but then I am incredibly fortunate to have the family and friends that make my world possible. I do wish that you had such a fortunate life as well I just don't think that you truly understand evil.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #44

Post by East of Eden »

Iam wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

Is your life really episodes of unrelenting evil?
You're moving the goalposts from the news to your personal life.
I'm so sorry for that. You do have a computer or some such how do you feel about the starving families around the world? I think that you may be overstating your position regarding "unrelenting evil" don't you? I personally live in a world of unrelenting LOVE, but then I am incredibly fortunate to have the family and friends that make my world possible. I do wish that you had such a fortunate life as well I just don't think that you truly understand evil.
Glad your life is going well, but one day you will get sick and die, it could be tomorrow. Skeptics have never had a good answer for that tragedy.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by Nickman »

East of Eden wrote:

No it doesn't. Unless you can show a causal link then it doesn't. Is what it shows is that humans with minds can and do exercise thier will for good and bad. There is no need to envoke a supernatural entity when these so called "evil" acts can be explained naturally.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by Nickman »

East of Eden wrote:
Iam wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

I'm so sorry for that. You do have a computer or some such how do you feel about the starving families around the world? I think that you may be overstating your position regarding "unrelenting evil" don't you? I personally live in a world of unrelenting LOVE, but then I am incredibly fortunate to have the family and friends that make my world possible. I do wish that you had such a fortunate life as well I just don't think that you truly understand evil.
Glad your life is going well, but one day you will get sick and die, it could be tomorrow. Skeptics have never had a good answer for that tragedy.
I think skeptics have the best answer for that.....people get sick and die. Its a planet that doesn't care about its hosts. Its a universe that doesn't favor life. Life only exists because it found a niche to do so. We count our good days and understand the bad ones. We realize that death comes upon all people from. It happens to the rich, the poor, the healthy, the sick, the Jesus, the gods, the animals, and everything.

Iam
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Iam »

Nickman wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Iam wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

I think skeptics have the best answer for that.....people get sick and die. Its a planet that doesn't care about its hosts. Its a universe that doesn't favor life. Life only exists because it found a niche to do so. We count our good days and understand the bad ones. We realize that death comes upon all people from. It happens to the rich, the poor, the healthy, the sick, the Jesus, the gods, the animals, and everything.
What he said^^^^^^^^^
Do you seriously believe that we have not contemplated death? Is that your understanding of our position?
Here is a hint. I don't believe in a fantasy extra life, I think I die.
I'm so sorry to disappoint you but I will die just like you will. Roll the credits. 8-)

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Nickman »

Iam wrote:
Nickman wrote:
East of Eden wrote:
Iam wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

What he said^^^^^^^^^
Do you seriously believe that we have not contemplated death? Is that your understanding of our position?
Here is a hint. I don't believe in a fantasy extra life, I think I die.
I'm so sorry to disappoint you but I will die just like you will. Roll the credits. 8-)
100% percent of people have died who have ever lived. Even Christians must agree, because Jesus died.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re:

Post #49

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Nickman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm 100% percent of people have died who have ever lived. Even Christians must agree, because Jesus died.
Christian mormons believe that:

1) Cain is still alive and is Bigfoot now.

2) Original apostles John, James and Andrew are still alive.
(Of course that contradicts another mormon doctrine. How then was it possible for them to appear as visions to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to give them two sorts of priesthood.)

3) The Three Nephites are still alive. Presumed names of them I have to research.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some evangelical christians believe that John and some more of the apostles simply must still be alive, because Jesus could not have lied when he promised to return within the lifetime of some of them.

For example: The apostle Andrew was seen, clothed in white armor fighting in a battle with christians against muhamaddans. This historical fact was written down by friend and foe, back in the 12th century.

Another example: In another christian forum years back, an evangelical user wrote down that he met the holy apostle John at a gas station recently.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some atheists believe that the Count of Saint Germaine is still alive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some evolutionists know that there exists a kind of little octopus who is able to reverse its own aging process at will, so its kind of immortal.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #50

Post by Purple Knight »

I would rate both Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses as more knowledgeable than regular Christians.