Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dad1
Under Suspension

Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Post #1

Post by dad1 »

Israel must be back in the land in the end time according to the bible. Some people suggest that God brought them back, and that they are now fulfilling prophesy such as the desert blooming like a rose etc. Can anyone support that idea? Several denominations do make such claims.

In the end, after the remnant repents and Jesus returns, is when God restores believing Israel to the land. Not, as far as I can tell, in 1948. So, there are good bible teaching preachers that seem to think otherwise (Jack Hibbs, Behold Israel, Jan Markell, James Kaddis, Bret meador, etc etc). The thread is for someone to support their claims. In other threads I have not seen this done yet.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Did God restore Israel in 1948?

Post #131

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:00 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:14 pm So what in your opinion happened to the old covenant when the new one came into operation?...

That is why God made a new covenant through Jesus.

You have not answered the question. You said people didn't keep the old one, you explained why God made a new one, you even explained what the new one was BUT ... you have not said what happened to the old One? My question is as FOLLOWS:

what happened to the old covenant ?

Can you see the question above? Would you care to answer it?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #132

MilesJBennell wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:09 am
It seems to me that there was a problem with the first covenant, mainly that we were in bondage to the law and we could not obey the law, so by the death of his Son, God nailed a list of our sins to the cross ...
Therefore ? The discussion being : Has the Law been abolished or not? Has the old covenant been replaced or NOT? Is the former obsolete or NOT Did God erase the former law covenant or not

HEBREWS 11:13 NWT

In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away.
EPHESIANS 2:15

By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees,.
COLOSSIANS 2:13,

God .... erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees ...by nailing it to the torture stake
I am asking because I have read the scriptures above.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #133

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 am ...what happened to the old covenant ?...

...Can you see the question above? Would you care to answer it?
Sorry, I think I already answered, people broke it.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #134

1213 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:12 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 am ...what happened to the old covenant ?...

...Can you see the question above? Would you care to answer it?
Sorry, I think I already answered, people broke it.
Perhaps its my fault. I'm not being clear.

Imagine you have a car. And then you get another new car. And someone asks you what happened to the old car. What they mean is what have you done with the old car now you have a new car
I am not asking what the people did or did not do in relation to the Law (you are correct the Jews did not keep it) . I am asking what the "owner" of the old [law] covenant did with the old covenant after he got a new covenant.

Lets go back to out car illustration: What could the owner of the first car do with it (the first car) after he got a new one? He could keep and use both, so now he has two cars. He could only use the new one but keep the old one in the garage (he still has two cars but only uses one ). He could sell or scrap the old car and only have one car.
So now can you understand I am not asking about the PEOPLE : "What did the people do or fail to do(in relation to the Law covenant) ? ANWSER They (the people) did not keep the Law.

I asked about the Law itself (just like if I asked about a car) : My question was what happened (or maybe to make it clearer) what did God do with the old law covenant when he made a new one.

I Will write some options to maybe make it clearer.
a) When God made a new covenant , he kept the old covenant as well : so God had two covenants in place.

b) When God made a new covenant , he replaced the old covenant : so God had one covenants in place

c) Other ....

Maybe the bible can help us choose the correct option above ...
Jeremiah 31:31-33 KJV wrote: Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:.... this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
HEBREWS 11:13 NWT

In his saying “a new covenant,” he has made the former one obsolete. Now what is obsolete and growing old is near to vanishing away.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu May 09, 2024 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MilesJBennell
Student

Post #135

Post by MilesJBennell »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:20 am

Therefore ? The discussion being : Has the Law been abolished or not? Has the old covenant been replaced or NOT? Is the former obsolete or NOT Did God erase the former law covenant or not
The law was not abolished.
Matthew 5:17 KJV wrote:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
The law was written on stone in the old covenant, but in the new it was written in their inward parts and heart, same law only it is in us not outside us, therefore the old covenant was abolished, but not the law which is now written in us.
Jeremiah 31:31-33 KJV wrote:31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Savant

Post #136

Post by 1213 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:37 pm ...
I am not asking what the people did or did not do in relation to the Law (you are correct the Jews did not keep it) . I am asking what the "owner" of the old [law] covenant did with the old covenant after he got a new covenant.
Even if people broke the covenant, God doesn't do so:

Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not reject them, neither will I abhor them, to destroy them utterly, and to break my covenant with them; for I am Yahweh their God; but I will for their sake remember the covenant of their ancestors, whom I brought forth out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God. I am Yahweh.
Lev. 26:44-45

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #137

1213 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:44 am Even if people broke the covenant, God doesn't do so:

Nobody us implying he does. But since you acknowledge there is an "old" and a "new" covenant, my question is not unreasonable: WHAT DID GOD DO WITH THE DO WITH THE OLD COVENANT ONCE HE HAD BOUGHT IN A NEW ONE?

Perhaps we can return to out possible options
a) When God made a new covenant , he kept the old covenant as well : so God had two covenants in place.

b) When God made a new covenant , he replaced the old covenant : so God had one covenants in place

c) Other ....

(I explained above that I am not asking if the different parties involved honoured their part if the agreement.)
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu May 09, 2024 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #138

MilesJBennell wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:14 pm... the old covenant was abolished, but not the law which is now written in us.
Emphasis MINE

Interesting. Just to clarify when you say " the law which is now written in us" , are you refering to the law of the old covenant or the law of the new covenant?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu May 09, 2024 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #139

CAN THE OLD (MOSAIC ) COVENANT EXISTS WITHOUT THE 613 LAWS ("THE LAW")?

EXODUS 24:3-8

3 Then Moses came and related to the people all the words of Jehovah and all the judicial decisions, and all the people answered with one voice: “All the words that Jehovah has spoken, we are willing to do.” 4 So Moses wrote down all the words of Jehovah.+ Then he got up early in the morning and built at the foot of the mountain an altar and 12 pillars corresponding to the 12 tribes of Israel. 5 After that he sent young Israelite men, and they offered up burnt offerings and sacrificed bulls as communion sacrifices+ to Jehovah. 6 Then Moses took half of the blood and put it in bowls, and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. 7 Then he took the book of the covenant and read it aloud to the people. And they said: “All that Jehovah has spoken we are willing to do, and we will be obedient.”+ 8 So Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people and said: “This is the blood of the covenant that Jehovah has made with you in harmony with all these words.”
DEUTERONOMY 28:1; 29:1

“And if you will without fail listen to the voice of Jehovah your God by being careful to do all his commandments that I am commanding you today, Jehovah your God will certainly put you high above all other nations of the earth. [...] These are the words of the covenant that Jehovah commanded Moses to make with the people of Israel

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #140

MilesJBennell wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:14 pm The law was not abolished.
EPHESIANS 2:15

By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees,.
Can you explain what said above here? Paul mentioned "commandementss" and " decrees" and the word "law" and "abolished".