Why no women Biblical authors?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

Why no women Biblical authors?

Post #1

Post by Haven »

Note: this thread operates under the assumption that the Christian god exists and conservative Christianity is true. For the sake of argument, please limit your criticisms to internal critiques of conservative Christian belief.

The Bible, which contains 66 books (Catholics have a few more), is believed by conservative Christians to be the inerrant, inspired word of God. Despite this, conservative Christians believe that humans wrote the Bible while being guided by God. All of the authors who contributed to the Bible are believed to be men; not a single woman was involved in the process.

Debate questions: Why weren't women tasked with writing the Bible? Why are there no women Biblical authors? Does the Christian god have a bias against women writing his words? Is the Christian god misogynistic for not including women in the writing process?
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Why no women Biblical authors?

Post #41

Post by TRANSPONDER »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:56 pm

There is an unwritten Rule of apologetics: you make your own case; you do not send me off to read this or that and expect me to find your answers for you.
You make the case here why God did not (while forbidding slavery) make a Commandment not to treat women as property either. As it is the Biblical rules seem to accommodate the abuse and manipulation of women as the wholly - owned property of men, pretty much as (foreign) slaves were.

I had a quick look to see whether any helpful vids were about., I found one, but it was worthless excuses and doubling down. After accepting the abuse and exploitation the old 'it was the norm for those times' excuse was trotted out.

The debunk has always been 'If God can forbid working on the Sabbath or making graven images, he can sure forbid slavery and abuse of women as property'. The obvious conclusion is that God was fine with all of that, which makes the best bet that it was fine with the people who wrote it, and a god had nothing to do with it.
I do apologize; however, I'm not going to write a book for you when one already exists. And a rather short one at that (4 chapters, easy reading, and not unrewarding) GOD does forbid many things, and yet even today there exists excuses for the convenient murder of the innocent when yet the guilty are allowed to live with additional excuses provided (usually, from the same source material). Some people regard the Bible only when it suits them and not all the time. Slavery still exists today. There are sex slaves, slaves to gambling, drug slaves, and even social religion yet today! And there are those that will use a woman and then encourage her to do what is most convenient for the exploiter. I'm not doubling down as you say. Perhaps you are but, don't realize the implications under a guise of "Freedom" with exceptions...
I'm not demanding a book but at least explain why you think Ruth makes a point for you.

I know there are problems with humans, but that actually makes my point - that the Bible condones and even exploits these problems suggests that it is written by men and expresses their values and preferences, including using women as they want to, not as the women would wish to be used.