Does God Intervene?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Does God Intervene?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Christians, both in prayer and without, will state God gave me this, did that, or other.

For debate: Does God ever intervene, with or without being asked? If no, why ever ask God for anything? If yes, why does he skip many/all requests?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Does God Intervene?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Essentially, the 'prayer' debate. It was done some time ago and we got to where ..damn' what was it? I know I was arguing their refusal to 'Test God' and the Christian reaction was to act like they knew asking for prayer as designated specifically would not be answered so they rather came up with excuses not to even try.

The method is the old delusion of counting the hits and ignoring the misses, as well as mistaking their own warm fuzzy feelings as something from God. Thus God does not apparently intervene, so such that some have to suggest that God allows satan to be in charge to have an excuse why God doesn't sort stuff out. And in the end "God knows what He is doing; God knows best".

Whatever you get, that was the Answer, even if it is 'No'. That is how the trick works. Self - delusion and Denial.

So what it comes down to in the end is the God - apologists thinking that denial of the evidence gets them the win. But it does not, not if there is an audience and they are using their brains. This is what Religious apologetics count on - people listening only to the religious argument. Right from the 80's when I first got into the debate, it was clear that Christianity had lost it, and debate was really about whether the general public was aware of it and would accept it.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #3

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Moderator Intervention

Notice to Nice Centurion - Please don't add questions for debate to an existing topic. Start your own topic.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

POI
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by POI »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:15 am Essentially, the 'prayer' debate. It was done some time ago and we got to where ..damn' what was it? I know I was arguing their refusal to 'Test God' and the Christian reaction was to act like they knew asking for prayer as designated specifically would not be answered so they rather came up with excuses not to even try.

The method is the old delusion of counting the hits and ignoring the misses, as well as mistaking their own warm fuzzy feelings as something from God. Thus God does not apparently intervene, so such that some have to suggest that God allows satan to be in charge to have an excuse why God doesn't sort stuff out. And in the end "God knows what He is doing; God knows best".

Whatever you get, that was the Answer, even if it is 'No'. That is how the trick works. Self - delusion and Denial.

So what it comes down to in the end is the God - apologists thinking that denial of the evidence gets them the win. But it does not, not if there is an audience and they are using their brains. This is what Religious apologetics count on - people listening only to the religious argument. Right from the 80's when I first got into the debate, it was clear that Christianity had lost it, and debate was really about whether the general public was aware of it and would accept it.
And since this will likely be yet another topic, very light on Christian response(s) or debate, I too will add a relevant video from the exact same video author:

In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Yes. The thing about the butterfly effect is that it also means that things have to be how they randomly turn out and God cannot intervene, so asking for intercession (God altering His Plan) is never going work.

Of course there is a Theist answer to this, but none of them seem to have thought of it. In fact, none of them seem to think at all, it is just 'God knows best'. Essentially, don't ask questions, just have Faith.

The problem of course is that the Gospels guarantee that asking for something in Faith (even, Luke says) as small as a mustard seed (Though Mark denies that is enough to do healings) will be granted. It does not say: "Look, you need to pray, as that was all part of my Plan, but don't be surprised if I don't grant your prayers sometimes, especially if they are things that don't happen naturally".

No, there is guarantee made several times, and Bible apologists themselves point up reasons why that is wrong and it is unreasonable to expect things like removing mountains into the sea won't happen, even though the Gospels say it will.

They never see that they are saying why the Bible is wrong, but seem to think they are showing its' right because nobody would expect prayer to work that way. But the atheist answer is "Then why should we suppose there is a god there granting prayers (or not) anyway?

The old problem - they are arguing from Faith. Claim Biblegod as the default hypothesis and just brush away any questions and they win...so they reckon. It comes down in the end to lies and crazy talk doesn't matter...if you get the votes.

If Bible skepticism ever get a hefty majority, then the claims of religious believers will have no influence, and that is the point, not who can or can't believe whatever they want, but whethert their views get influence and political and social clout.

Waterfall
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Waterfall »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #5]

Namaskaram...

Who knows how God works :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Let us inspire our brothers and sisters...
But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
This if for you ;) Enjoy...

Your friend forever

Waterfall
Love is the salt of life. It takes a moment to understand and eternity to live.

Carsten Ploug Olsen

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Waterfall in post #6]

Moderator Intervention

Please refrain from posting replies not relevant to the stated topic.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.