Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

With much of the world today angry about Israel's continuing destruction of Gaza and Palestinians, one reflects on God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 22, where God is so pleased that Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son, telling Abraham the nations will bless you.

'...because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”'

Yet the Jews have been (according to them and others) one of the most persecuted people on Earth, so hated by others, they were granted an exception, and allowed to take more than half of Palestine from their Arab brothers.

Hasn't this promise to Abraham been proved to be wrong? Isn't it just the opposite? Contrary to God's promise, Israel and Jews are among the most hated and resented people and country. "All the nations" certainly are not "blessing" either Jews or Israel. This is hardly an excuse for antisemitism, which should be condemned, just as we condemn the atrocities of Hamas and extremists of all stripes. It should be added that many Jews are vehemently opposed to Netanyahu and his right wing policies that include continuing to occupy more and more Palestinian land.

Savant

Re: Imortant Prophesies 'God' got Wrong

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm With much of the world today angry about Israel's continuing destruction of Gaza and Palestinians, one reflects on God's promise to Abraham in Genesis 22, where God is so pleased that Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son, telling Abraham the nations will bless you.

'...because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”'

Yet the Jews have been (according to them and others) one of the most persecuted people on Earth, so hated by others, they were granted an exception, and allowed to take more than half of Palestine from their Arab brothers.
I don't see where you get the idea that "nations will bless you". It says, "in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed", which I understand means, blessing for the other nations comes from his offspring. For example it could be said that Jesus is the offspring and through him other nations have had blessing.

I don't think other nations will give any blessing. Instead they give hate and violence.
Diogenes wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 pm...more and more Palestinian land.
It is interesting that originally the land of Palestinine (=Philistine) was much smaller than they now claim it should be.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

O:) I play fair. When I think you are wrong, I say so. When I think your argument has legs, I say so.

When I saw that prophecy I realised that the Jews have not had a good time of it, because neither Christians nor Muslims liked them too much. But it occurred to me that the nations have been much blessed by the contributions of Jews in science and music, notably They really punch above their weight in science.

But then I thought as you did, that it was not through Judaism but Christianity that the nations of the earth would be blessed. Not so much through the religion itself which has powered some of the most aggressive colonialism and bullying since Islam which was designed for that purpose. But in proffering salvation through Jesus to all nations, if they accept it.

It does require a bit of Interpretation, but it is an explanation that popped into my head, too.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #4

Post by Diogenes »

Naturally Christians and those raised in a Christian culture, see these words attributed to God about Abraham's descendants, see this prophesy as referring to Jesus. But it was Jews, not Christians that the promise was made to. Christianity hijacked Jewish books (the entire 'Old Testament') and bent it to their will despite Pauline theology being diametrically opposed to Jewish thought and writing.

It is also important to remember that the Hebrew tribes were no worse, no better than other tribes. They ALL invented gods that promoted THEIR tribes and denigrate other tribes. In Western culture, the Jews singled out, but this is not fair to them or others. All cultures thing of themselves as 'THE people.'
Also, the world has been 'blessed' by the contributions of many peoples. My heritage is Norwegian and assorted Anglo-Saxon. The world has been blessed by their contributions as well. There are also criminals in all cultures. Norway had Quisling et al. The Jews have had their bad representatives as well, Netanyahu is a good example of an evil leader. Israel, since 1948 ad especially after 1967 has broken international law repeatedly, settling and stealing even more Palestinian land.

One must make special note of the ridiculous map and argument suggested by 1213. That map represents a single moment in time (no date listed) and ignores the fact (according to the Bible) that the Hebrews originally had NO land in the Levant. There WAS no Kingdom of Israel. Also, 1213 appears to conflate the Phillistines with Palestine.

According to the Bible, the Hebrews stole ALL of the land called 'the Kingdom of Israel,' by murder, theft, and enslavement. Their 'god' told them to take the land, kill its people, and utterly destroy them and their property. How far back do you want to go?
https://remix.aljazeera.com/aje/Palesti ... _main.html

There are many candidates for 'most hated country.' Pakistan gets votes for that title. Going by social media reports recently, Israel certainly qualifies. Just looking at human rights violations, Israel is mentioned 111 times more than even North Korea.
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/internat ... cial-media

Unfortunately, this hatred of Israel is accompanied by a hatred of Jews - despicable, but also confirms the 'god' of the Bible was exactly wrong when he said Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world.

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm Naturally Christians and those raised in a Christian culture, see these words attributed to God about Abraham's descendants, see this prophesy as referring to Jesus. But it was Jews, not Christians that the promise was made to. Christianity hijacked Jewish books (the entire 'Old Testament') and bent it to their will despite Pauline theology being diametrically opposed to Jewish thought and writing.
In Biblical point of view Christians are Jews.

If therefore the uncircumcised keep the ordinances of the law, won’t his uncircumcision be accounted as circumcision? Won’t the uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfills the law, judge you, who with the letter and circumcision are a transgressor of the law? For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Romans 2:26-29
But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the root and of the richness of the olive tree, don’t boast over the brancEzek. But if you boast, it is not you who support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.” True; by their unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by your faith. Don’t be conceited, but fear; for if God didn’t spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you.
Romans 11:17-21

Paul is not really opposed to Jewish thought in the Bible.
Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm They ALL invented gods that promoted THEIR tribes and denigrate other tribes. In Western culture, the Jews singled out, but this is not fair to them or others. All cultures thing of themselves as 'THE people.'
Hmmm... why do you think so? I have not seen enough evidence to believe that.
Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm Also, the world has been 'blessed' by the contributions of many peoples. My heritage is Norwegian and assorted Anglo-Saxon. The world has been blessed by their contributions as well. There are also criminals in all cultures. Norway had Quisling et al. The Jews have had their bad representatives as well, Netanyahu is a good example of an evil leader. Israel, since 1948 ad especially after 1967 has broken international law repeatedly, settling and stealing even more Palestinian land.
What would you do, if your neighbor would hit your house constantly with missiles, kidnap torture and rape your children?
Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pmOne must make special note of the ridiculous map and argument suggested by 1213. That map represents a single moment in time (no date listed) and ignores the fact (according to the Bible) that the Hebrews originally had NO land in the Levant. There WAS no Kingdom of Israel. Also, 1213 appears to conflate the Phillistines with Palestine.
Originally no one had a land. And perhaps it would be best, if the situation would be the same today. The word Palestine comes from the word Philistine and they mean the same. Now some people like to see them differently, because it supports their idea to take some land.
Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm According to the Bible, the Hebrews stole ALL of the land called 'the Kingdom of Israel,' by murder, theft, and enslavement. Their 'god' told them to take the land, kill its people, and utterly destroy them and their property. How far back do you want to go?
If that is true, it would rather belong to the killed, not the modern people who claim that they have the right for the land.
Diogenes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm the Bible was exactly wrong when he said Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world.
Please show the scripture that says so.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213, you have got to stop this business of demanding that the Bible say that it was wrong when it is argument on the evidence that shows it was wrong. The evidence (over 40 years of discussion) shows that the nativities are wrong, not a line of scripture saying "The nativities are wrong".

Same with the prophecy of Tyre of course it won't say 'The prophecy was wrong, it was rebuilt and the harps kept playing" It is the evidence shows that the prophecy is wrong. You have to stop demanding scripture that has the Bible confessing that it is wrong.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 am 1213, you have got to stop this business of demanding that the Bible say that it was wrong when it is argument on the evidence that shows it was wrong. The evidence (over 40 years of discussion) shows that the nativities are wrong, not a line of scripture saying "The nativities are wrong".

Same with the prophecy of Tyre of course it won't say 'The prophecy was wrong, it was rebuilt and the harps kept playing" It is the evidence shows that the prophecy is wrong. You have to stop demanding scripture that has the Bible confessing that it is wrong.

And from the Jewish point of view the Christians are not Jews. No more than Buddhists are Hindus or, for that matter, Arabs are Christians. I know all these people claim they inherited the credit and worth of the previous religion (and they ought to convert) but that does not make the claim true, nor the prophecy actually be about the Christians when it was about the Jews and seems to not have actually come to be, except, as I said, in science and music, where they contributed a lot.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diogenes »

"the Bible was exactly wrong when he said Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world."
1213 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:13 am Please show the scripture that says so.

Did you even read the OP?

_ Genesis 22:18

Apparently, to you, even scripture is not valid if it contradicts your beliefs. The Bible passage quoted clearly says Abraham's descendants will be blessed by all the nations. And just as clearly, they are not.

So, the prophesy in Genesis is false. Instead of blessing Israel, the world reviles it. And for good reason. Putting aside what Palestinians call 'the catastrophe' of 1948, Israel has continued to violate international law, grabbing huge tracts of land in 1967, and continuing to steal land by settling the West Bank, Palestinian land as decided in 1947-48.

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:28 pm "the Bible was exactly wrong when he said Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world."
1213 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:13 am Please show the scripture that says so.

Did you even read the OP?

_ Genesis 22:18

It does not say "Abraham's descendants would be called 'blessed' by the world", it says "and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed".

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:27 am ...it was rebuilt and the harps kept playing" It is the evidence shows that the prophecy is wrong....
What evidence?