Peace to you,
historia wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 5:00 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:14 pm
historia wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 3:40 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 2:40 pm
My Lord's voice is not my voice. He has His own voice.
My question above, though, is asking how one might
scrutinize whether such a "voice" is really from Christ. It could just be your subconscious, or something else entirely, which you are interpreting to be Christ -- that happens a fair bit, it seems.
What standard do you use to determine whether this really comes from Christ?
How did Philip or Ananais know it was Christ speaking to them, rather than their own subconscious?
You'll have to ask them.
I don't need to ask them. Christ gives us the answer Himself.
First - No one comes to the Son unless the Father draws them.
Second -
His sheep (because the Father gave them to Him)
know His voice. They know HIS voice and follow Him, but they run from a stranger's voice.
His sheep know His voice.
Not to mention the fact that you know the difference between your voice and your mother's voice (for example.) It is the same here, except that Christ is the Spirit and speaks as such.
But the only reason to think Christ spoke to Philip and Ananais at all is because the author of Acts tells us so, right? Why do you believe the author of Acts?
Their testimony is corroborated by Christ Himself - not just in what is written, but by Him speaking (and not only to me of course.) If people bore witness to Christ speaking a couple thousand years ago, and He speaks also to someone(s) today, then it tends to add a little credence to that original testimony - especially when other witnesses wrote that He said His sheep would listen to His voice.
Not to mention the fact that Christ is alive. That He is the Word of God (the living Word of God.) Why would He not speak?
**
If a person has not recognized or heard His voice - then I can understand being concerned about how one would know the difference between His voice and their thoughts. When I stopped studying with the JW's after two years, I had some despair - I did not know how I was ever going to be able to believe anything, ever again. How could I trust myself or my own judgment ever again?
But it was not about trusting
myself. I need only trust - have faith in - my Father in heaven and His dear Son, Jaheshua. Faith in God that He would lead me where He wanted me to be (which is what I asked - and He led me to His dear Son), and faith that my dear Lord had and has me. And even this faith was a gift, given to me.
And that issue of 'how can I trust myself'... it just disappeared. Because I
wasn't trusting myself. I wasn't depending on
myself. I was trusting, depending upon and listening to my Lord (and so also His Father, and vice versa.)
My Lord has never lied to me. He has never led me wrong. He has corrected me - and
my thinking - on numerous occasions.
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:14 pm
historia wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 3:40 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 2:40 pm
A voice He said His sheep would hear, and listen
to.
Or, rather, the author of the Gospel of John said Christ said this. Why should we think that Jesus himself said it?
You are free to think as you choose.
I appreciate you answering all of my questions, tam, and believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm probing here to get to the epistemological bedrock of your beliefs. To that end, these were not meant to be rhetorical questions.
It was not meant to be a rhetorical or dismissive answer either.
I don't tell people what they should think.
Look to Christ for that (if that is your wish.)
As for the bed
rock of my belief, my faith - that rock is Christ.
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 4:14 pm
historia wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 3:40 pm
tam wrote: ↑Sat Aug 15, 2026 2:40 pm
The spirit He has given us (if He has given it), that is within us, also bears witness to our spirit, if something is true and from Christ (or not.) Like a deep
knowing, in the spirit, down to the bones.
Where did you get the idea that his Spirit can bear witness to our spirit?
Because it happens, I have experienced it. It is not a mere idea - it is a knowing, from experience.
But experiences have to be interpreted. You could be misinterpreting whatever you felt in those moments.
Moreover, this expression, his "Spirit bears witness with our spirit," comes from Paul. Why should we believe Paul?
What I'm getting at here is that, at every turn, you keep trying to justify your beliefs by referring to the Bible. Why is that?
I wasn't referring to the bible when I said that. I did remember that there was something about it in the bible when I was typing out my answer, but that is not the reason I believe it. I simply answered your question with something I know to be true.
Peace again to you.