WHY does the bible judge people while saying 'judge not'?
WHY do Christians judge people while claiming to follow the bible that clearly says 'judge not'?
Judge not?
Moderator: Moderators
-
Zzyzx
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 25152
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:38 pm
- Location: Bible Belt USA
- Has thanked: 58 times
- Been thanked: 99 times
Judge not?
Post #1.
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence
Non-Theist
ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence
- tam
- Savant
- Posts: 6985
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm
- Has thanked: 397 times
- Been thanked: 369 times
- Contact:
Re: Judge not?
Post #31Peace to you,
I am speaking of judgment meaning sentencing, condemning, casting a stone. Telling someone they are playing silly games does not mean you are judging the person FOR playing silly games.
Do you understand the difference I'm trying to highlight?
So you don't think the evaluation-judging that bjs did is wrong. You may think the evaluation-judgment was incorrect, but the act of evaluation-judging is fine.
Is that correct?
You are speaking of judgment meaning evaluation.POI wrote: ↑Sat Sep 12, 2026 10:17 pm"Silly" is an adjective. Placing an adjective, as a descriptor of someone's actions, is generally considered a judgment -- (specifically an evaluation) rather than a pure assessment, though the exact distinction depends on the specific adjective used and the context.
I am speaking of judgment meaning sentencing, condemning, casting a stone. Telling someone they are playing silly games does not mean you are judging the person FOR playing silly games.
Do you understand the difference I'm trying to highlight?
But I am not interested in that definition, POI. What should matter here is the meaning of judgment according to 'the bible' (since that is what the OP is asking about.)Here is how the two terms break down in linguistics and psychology:![]()
Then I do not understand your insistence that bjs judged you, and did so in contradiction to the commands of Christ.
What does that have to do with John 8?Calling someone's actions (fill-in the-adjective) is a personal subjective judgement.
So you don't think the evaluation-judging that bjs did is wrong. You may think the evaluation-judgment was incorrect, but the act of evaluation-judging is fine.
Is that correct?
- Non-religious Christian spirituality
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
- tam
- Savant
- Posts: 6985
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm
- Has thanked: 397 times
- Been thanked: 369 times
- Contact:
Re: Judge not?
Post #32Peace to you,
Christ (Jah'eshua) is His Son.
2 persons.
There are already many threads on the issue, however. You and I should not need to debate it because the verses you supplied state in black and white that Christ received that authority from His Father.
One person received authority from another person. That is the opposite of being 'self-appointed.'
Peace again.
God (YHWH) is the Father.
Christ (Jah'eshua) is His Son.
2 persons.
There are already many threads on the issue, however. You and I should not need to debate it because the verses you supplied state in black and white that Christ received that authority from His Father.
One person received authority from another person. That is the opposite of being 'self-appointed.'
Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
- POI
- Savant
- Posts: 6238
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm
- Has thanked: 2215 times
- Been thanked: 1678 times
Re: Judge not?
Post #33[Replying to tam in post #31]
Tam, I no longer want to expend any more energy going into hyper-depth about what is 'judgement'. Calling something 'silly' is judgmental if it is meant 'negatively.' Which is exactly why he apologized if he offended me. If I was to say someone's ideas were 'silly', and the person on the other end stated, 'hey, I did not ask for your judgement', I would not go on a forensic tirade as to (whether or not) 'judgement' was the best or most appropriate word to use.
Anywho, I have bigger fish to fry. How about you and I expend energy here -- (in a thread I actually give two licks about and recently created...)--> ( viewtopic.php?t=43253&start=30)
Tam, I no longer want to expend any more energy going into hyper-depth about what is 'judgement'. Calling something 'silly' is judgmental if it is meant 'negatively.' Which is exactly why he apologized if he offended me. If I was to say someone's ideas were 'silly', and the person on the other end stated, 'hey, I did not ask for your judgement', I would not go on a forensic tirade as to (whether or not) 'judgement' was the best or most appropriate word to use.
Anywho, I have bigger fish to fry. How about you and I expend energy here -- (in a thread I actually give two licks about and recently created...)--> ( viewtopic.php?t=43253&start=30)
Last edited by POI on Sun Sep 13, 2026 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
- POI
- Savant
- Posts: 6238
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm
- Has thanked: 2215 times
- Been thanked: 1678 times
Re: Judge not?
Post #34There are many threads on many topics, both here and elsewhere. Which means it/they must not be settled?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
- tam
- Savant
- Posts: 6985
- Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm
- Has thanked: 397 times
- Been thanked: 369 times
- Contact:
Re: Judge not?
Post #35Peace again,
Peace again.
I hear you. This is exactly why the term needed to be defined first. To avoid arguing simply because we are thinking of two different meanings of the same word.POI wrote: ↑Sun Sep 13, 2026 12:47 am [Replying to tam in post #31]
Tam, I no longer want to expend any more energy going into hyper-depth about what is 'judgement'.
Lol, thanks for the invite, but I must decline. I have nothing new to say on that thread that I did not state on previous similar threads.Anywho, I have bigger fish to fry. How about you and I expend energy here -- (in a thread I actually give two licks about and recently created...)--> ( viewtopic.php?t=43253&start=30)
Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
- For Christ (who is the Spirit)
-
bjs1
- Guru
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm
- Has thanked: 52 times
- Been thanked: 266 times
Re: Judge not?
Post #36This remains suspect. First, a book doesn’t have the power to control anyone. Books can’t do that.Clownboat wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2026 2:55 pmYou didn't address what I said, so I'll copy/paste it to save time:This claim seems suspect. Wouldn’t you agree that many atheists, absent any book, are extremely judgmental?
"The book does have the power to control some humans to judge those around them. Absent the book, there would be no judgement." (Atheists are irrelevant to this claim about the Bible).
To your question, yes, an atheist can be judgmental.
Beyond this, if as you say, “Absent the book, there would be no judgment,” then the logical conclusion is that those who have no book would not judge. Yet, as you have agreed, that is not the case.
Rude? Really? I first provided a definition, and you disputed that. Was that rude on your part?
Beyond that, when there are multiple definitions for a word, then we should use the definition that is most appropriate in a given setting. I have done that using the source you provided.
So you are saying that a book can be “one who gives an authoritative opinion.” This is unusual since saying “one who…” generally applies to a person, not a thing.Clownboat wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2026 2:55 pm Again, this is rude. I provided the entire definition and bolded the how I was using the word. This was done to be curious and to provide clarity.
Are you trying to drag me down to your level so you can beat me with experience? I bolded it for you and you want ask me if there are teachings against being an umpire?
Copy/paste: one who gives an authoritative opinion <---- This was my intended use of the word, made obvious by it being in bold for your benefit in a failed attempt to try to increase your chance of comprehension.
However, to make sure I understand your argument, are you saying that the Constitution of the United States is judgmental? The California Penal Code, all posted speed limits, and the rulebook to the boardgame Monopoly would all also be judgmental, correct?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin
-Charles Darwin
- Clownboat
- Savant
- Posts: 10372
- Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:42 pm
- Has thanked: 1509 times
- Been thanked: 1797 times
Re: Judge not?
Post #37Christians regard the Bible with great respect, honor and devotion (Worship 2: to regard with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion) and it provides them with authoritative opinions (judge c: one who gives an authoritative opinion).bjs1 wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2026 3:06 pmThis remains suspect. First, a book doesn’t have the power to control anyone. Books can’t do that.Clownboat wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2026 2:55 pmYou didn't address what I said, so I'll copy/paste it to save time:This claim seems suspect. Wouldn’t you agree that many atheists, absent any book, are extremely judgmental?
"The book does have the power to control some humans to judge those around them. Absent the book, there would be no judgement." (Atheists are irrelevant to this claim about the Bible).
To your question, yes, an atheist can be judgmental.
Beyond this, if as you say, “Absent the book, there would be no judgment,” then the logical conclusion is that those who have no book would not judge. Yet, as you have agreed, that is not the case.
Rude? Really? I first provided a definition, and you disputed that. Was that rude on your part?
Beyond that, when there are multiple definitions for a word, then we should use the definition that is most appropriate in a given setting. I have done that using the source you provided.
So you are saying that a book can be “one who gives an authoritative opinion.” This is unusual since saying “one who…” generally applies to a person, not a thing.Clownboat wrote: ↑Fri Sep 11, 2026 2:55 pm Again, this is rude. I provided the entire definition and bolded the how I was using the word. This was done to be curious and to provide clarity.
Are you trying to drag me down to your level so you can beat me with experience? I bolded it for you and you want ask me if there are teachings against being an umpire?
Copy/paste: one who gives an authoritative opinion <---- This was my intended use of the word, made obvious by it being in bold for your benefit in a failed attempt to try to increase your chance of comprehension.
However, to make sure I understand your argument, are you saying that the Constitution of the United States is judgmental? The California Penal Code, all posted speed limits, and the rulebook to the boardgame Monopoly would all also be judgmental, correct?
Christians worship a book that provides them with judgement. Therefore, take away the book and its judgements would vanish.
Do you understand the argument? I feel like you don't as you are now asking questions about Monopoly and Penal Codes. Do you want those to be considered judgmental, because I'll grant that they are or aren't for the sake of this debate. I care not either way, so you pick and then see if you can address my claim about Christians and the Bible.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.
I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU
It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco
If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb
I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU
It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco
If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

