Are Miracles Necessary?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid
Student

Are Miracles Necessary?

Post #1

Post by DeoxyriboNucleicAcid »

If miracles happen wouldn't that be God correcting His mistakes?

"Oh dear, I should have ordered more wine and I forgot. Here, Fred old pal, pass Me that bucket of water for a minute, would you?"

An all powerful God would not need to do party tricks. One of the reasons I can't accept the Christian view is its dependance on miracles. Why would a God need to break His own laws? Lack of planning?

To say nothing of the conceit of praying to God asking for a miracle.

'Dear Lord, Aunt Mable is a good woman and I think You may have made an error by giving her cancer. Or perhaps it just slipped Your notice? Either way, could You please cure her, that is, if You've nothing else on Your agenda this afternoon...'

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by k-nug »

Even if the argument is raised that the people back then needed proof, why didnt God come down and say hi floating a a giant cloud. If I would have seen that, it woud have been way more convincing than some magic trick. How come there are no miricles today outside of mary appearing everywhere.. which even evangelicals criticize.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Corvus
Guru

Post #3

Post by Corvus »

k-nug wrote:Even if the argument is raised that the people back then needed proof, why didnt God come down and say hi floating a a giant cloud. If I would have seen that, it woud have been way more convincing than some magic trick. How come there are no miricles today outside of mary appearing everywhere.. which even evangelicals criticize.
God does say in the bible that no one can see his face and live. Even though all things are possible under God.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid
Student

Post #4

[/quote] God does say in the bible that no one can see his face and live. Even though all things are possible under God.[/quote]

I wonder, as all things are possible for God, whether He could create a universe in which He never has existed.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid wrote: I wonder, as all things are possible for God, whether He could create a universe in which He never has existed.
I'll address this question in a new topic, Can God create a rock so big that he cannot lift it?
Last edited by otseng on Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by k-nug »

God does say in the bible that no one can see his face and live. Even though all things are possible under God.
So, God could come down because he wrote that rule, and isnt he always bringing people back form the dead anyway? Id gladly die just to know whether there is a God. He could bring me back if he wanted to.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

CanadianBuddhist
Student

Post #7

Post by CanadianBuddhist »

"miracles" are only events that people cannot understand how they worked. So they call them miracles. People can create "miracles". People in the East can do "miracles". Astral travel, telepathy, levitation, psychic healing, etc. Miracle is just a word that people give to events they cannot explain. Or, unless it's jesus, they call it witchcraft and burn the people.
If the creator of the world entire
They call God, of every being be the Lord
Then an evil master is he
Knowing what's right did he let wrong prevail!
-- Buddha

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid
Student

Post #8

CanadianBuddhist wrote: People in the East can do "miracles". Astral travel, telepathy, levitation, psychic healing,
If you can prove that anyone has ever performed any of these tricks. If you have any proof that anything 'supernatutral' has EVER happened then thewre's an awful lot of money waiting for you.

Look here ---> http://www.randi.org/

There is no evidence to support any supernatural behaviour or observation. There's no evidence supporting the existence of gods, goblins, ghosts, fairies, angels or 'Astral travel, telepathy, levitation, psychic healing'

It's nonsense

canadianhorsefan
Student

Post #9

Post by canadianhorsefan »

An all powerful God would not need to do party tricks. One of the reasons I can't accept the Christian view is its dependance on miracles. Why would a God need to break His own laws? Lack of planning?
How is He breaking His own laws? Do you even know of any such laws?

canadianhorsefan