“Why do atheists/others Deny God, Scriptures,

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Are atheist and non-believers our brothers and sisters?

You Betcha!
75%
Not Sure?
10%
No way!
15%

Total votes: 20

joer
Guru

“Why do atheists/others Deny God, Scriptures,

Post #1

Post by joer »

Last week I came across something in reflection. Spirituality grows and develops as we do. There are three stages.

1. The first stage is discovering that God Exists. This usually takes place between 0-20 years of age.

2. The second stage is being led to God. You begin and develop learning about God’s purpose in your life. This happens about 20-40 years of age.

T3. he third stage is Living a Spirit led, God led Life. Now you know why you’re here and your ready for your fruits to be lived and seen. God is alive within you. Now you see yourself as Spirit within a body. This happens about 40 to forever.

So when I noticed this I thought about all my atheists friends here and I thought I may have found a cause of atheism.

Now on a normal world (The Vatican admitted last week aliens are our brothers and sisters in God) this would be our normal spiritual development. But on our world with so much error within it due to a messed up start with the negative influence of the Lucifer rebellion and the failure of Adam and Eve, our spiritual development can become jeopardized. So if we have a problem at any level of our spiritual development we can become spiritually stunted, become damaged, atrophy spiritually and suffer the consequences of our Spiritual malformation.

I further conceptualized that the level we were at when the spiritual trauma occurred might have specific symptoms or traits that are common to other atheists or non-believers

So my questions to atheists and/or non-believers are these:

1. At what age did your non-belief or denial of the existence of God begin.

2. Do you remember any specific incident or causes that precipitated that non-belief? Just use generalized descriptions if the authentic trauma to your loss of faith (if there was one) is too graphic or insidious to share here.

3. What was the course of development of your atheism?

I also think the participation in this discussion will help other Christians and believers better understand our atheist and non-believer brothers and sisters.

Peace and knowledge to all. :D

joer
Guru

Post #121

Post by joer »

Now we have something to work with byofrcs. Thank You don't need to worry about faith at this point. Let's just review our statements, claims, links and sources of support and determine logically weather what you say is true or what Calabrese's says is true. :D

Now it appears to me you are taking 1 of the 4 predated scientific discoveries that he (Calabrese) is claiming predated science's discovery of the same phenomenon. You are claiming that science discovered it (the neutrino as you refer to it) before 1959 in 1956. right? Or are you saying it was before 1956 when it was discovered?

OK let me review yours and Calabrese's Claims and I'll get back to you.

This is what I like, something that we can review empirically. Thank You byofrcs.

byofrcs

Post #122

Post by byofrcs »

joer wrote:Now we have something to work with byofrcs. Thank You don't need to worry about faith at this point. Let's just review our statements, claims, links and sources of support and determine logically weather what you say is true or what Calabrese's says is true. :D

Now it appears to me you are taking 1 of the 4 predated scientific discoveries that he (Calabrese) is claiming predated science's discovery of the same phenomenon. You are claiming that science discovered it (the neutrino as you refer to it) before 1959 in 1956. right? Or are you saying it was before 1956 when it was discovered?

OK let me review yours and Calabrese's Claims and I'll get back to you.

This is what I like, something that we can review empirically. Thank You byofrcs.
I'm also not calling it the Neutrino - Calabrese calls it the "Neutrino". Calabrese says the "neutrino" was discovered in 1959.

I have a reference that says that the "neutrino" (as Calabrese calls it) was published in the paper, "The neutrino. Frederick Reines, Clyde L. Cowan (Los Alamos) , Sep 1956 that was published in Nature 178:446-449,1956"

Are you being deliberately obtuse ?.

I'm now on to looking at Paleomagnetic studies now because oddly enough the magnetic anomalies that highlighted the continental drift also happened to come out in mid-50s around the Urantia publication dates. Funny that isn't it ? Calabrese gives this a 1/20 chance I can only guess based on the estimated <5% of Geologists who agreed with Wegener. What sort of crap estimate is that ?
The dates are too suspicious.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #123

Post by bernee51 »

joer wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:.
joer wrote:Zzyzx, refer to my last replies to Beto, Bernee and Byofrcs if your are trying my pursuit of understanding the development of the atheistic position.
What several have told you, in various ways, is "There is no such thing as 'the atheistic position'" that you claim to be searching for with questions to Atheists. Theism has a "position" regarding practice of worship of invisible super beings. Atheism has no such thing -- but is simply a statement that such worship practices and beliefs do not exist for that individual.

In a simplified example. Olympic sports participation represents an organized pursuit that has identifiable characteristics which might be regarded as similar to "position"; with commonality of such things as training, learning rules, and engaging in sport-specific activities. Thus Olympic athletes compose an identifiable group with certain things in common.

Other people are NOT Olympic athletes. What can be said about those people as a group – other than that they are not Olympic athletes? Absolutely nothing. Correct?

Theists participate in an activity that has some commonality, identifiable characteristics and "position". They have in common a belief in some form of invisible supernatural deity or spirit. They share the attitude of belief and a propensity to worship the deities, spirits or idols. They learn "rules" and stories related to worship of their chosen deities.

Other people are NOT believers in supernaturalism. What can be said of those people as a group – other than that they are not theists? Absolutely nothing. Understand? Others do.
Zzyzx,Thank You very much for this very courteous post. I appreciate. I do understand what your saying. And it is difficult for me to see that atheists who to me seem to have as a commonality no belief in any God or Religion, to you are not a group.

BUT That is a sidetrack. In JUST the scope of this thread, in the conversations of those who have contributed HERE, there has been similarities stated in the manner of How atheists (those here who contributed their stories of their atheistic development), which of course are not a group as delineated by you, and that's fine. BUT even though atheists aren't a group as far as you are concern, it doesn't disturb my pursuit here among those who are willing to explore these ideas of analyzing the development of our world views (regardless of what they are) as a group of interested parties of this thread.

So please don't feel slighted or like I'm trying to impose any meaning onto any atheist that they don't want tied to them. If atheists aren't a group as you say, then any generalization that might be implied to pertain to a group of atheists certainly wouldn't apply to those atheists who don't see them selves as part of that imagined group. RIGHT?

Thanks Zzy!
:D
I see the problem. What you appear to be asking for as a 'summary' is a compilation of all those factors that have lead atheists to their position of atheism. This is a different animal to any specific 'atheist position' which has been oft pointed out as a simple non belief in god(s). Other than saying that it would appear to be common to the atheists who have posted that they do not see any evidence of yours or any other god I suggest it is asking the impossible to summarize what has lead them to atheism.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Beto

Re: Indoctrination

Post #124

Post by Beto »

joer wrote:So what's up with that Beto? Why the atheistic double standard? Science is good to support the ideas you want it to support but when it supports ideas contrary to those you like, NOW IT'S NO GOOD! Right?
No, not right. How many different ways must this be explained? Science doesn't conform to "likes" or "dislikes". It is objective. I trust science, not all scientists. And definitely not scientists that fail the peer-review test. I hold no double-standard, and personally I don't "like" some theories more than others, since I have no religious belief system riding on it. I apply the same criteria when evaluating their individual merits. Obviously, short of doing the science myself, I have to trust the peer-review system, always with a slight measure of skepticism, as the reviewers are still only human.
joer wrote:Well what is it? Is Calabrese's analysis valid or not.
I'm not a scientist. Others here are much more suitable to check validity on their own. As for me, can you provide any indication this person has passed the peer-review test? I'll have to accept it.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #125

Post by Zzyzx »

Beto wrote:
I'm not a scientist.
You are honest -- and wise to not attempt to render decisions on technical scientific matters without appropriate background and understanding.

Although I studied science and taught Earth science at college level, I do not propose to be qualified to evaluate specific and detailed topics out of my area of experience. I disrespect those who attempt to appear knowledgeable in scientific topics without the bother of studying the fields in question.

"Pick and choose science" and "faux science" are often utilized in attempts to "prove" religious beliefs that are based upon emotion and faith rather than real world evidence. Picking a factor or two from a study that may appear to support theistic positions while condemning conclusions from the same source is a typical (and dishonest or disreputable) tactic – but perhaps akin to "pick and choose scriptures" wherein favorite bible passages are selected for attention and guidance whereas others are ignored completely.

Quoting "authorities" who possess no demonstrated ability or credentials in the field in question is another common tactic – such as quoting a medical doctor as an authority on physics, or a Ph.D. in history regarding matters of geology, for example. Damning all science findings that conflict with "scripture" while accepting those which benefit the critic is a form of hypocrisy.

It is amusing and frustrating to be engaged in "scientific" discussions by people who have no understanding at all of the sciences – and no respect for the scientific method of learning (preferring snap judgment or "belief on faith" or emotional decisions to structured observation and analysis). Thus, I do not read or post in the Science and Religion sub-forum – where many speak well beyond their experience and knowledge.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

joer
Guru

Post #126

Post by joer »

UZworm wrote:
joer wrote: “It’s so because the Bible says it’s so.� That’s it don’t question it.

And now my atheists brothers just like the fundamentalists are saying:

“It’s so because Wikipedia defined it so.� That’s it don’t question it.
I don't really find that to be a substantial comparison. Wikipedia may not be the best source of information available, but it - most of the time, anyway - cites various different sources and literature for its information. You get a plethora of different knowledge together.

On the other hand, the only source that the Bible can cite is itself, which is, I think, normally why atheists find the "it's in the bible" argument invalid.

Also 1st post! :D

Hi UZworm. It's a pleasure to meet you.
I'm glad you are at this site. There are many wonderful people here, both atheists and believers and everything in between.

I hear what you are saying loud and clear. That you hold Wikipidia to be a much more valid source than the Bible. But what my point really was that regardless of the strength of the source or a position, it could be questioned and in an effort to discovered deeper truths it SHOULD be questioned. Just as you have questioned my argument to present what you consider a more viable truth.

I respect that.

What I don't respect is people, religious or atheist, trying to imply that questioning or searching for deeper truth is invalid.

Good Will to you my friend. I hope you find much satisfation at this site.

joer
Guru

Post #127

Post by joer »

Justifyothers wrote:
ALWAYS A COURTEOUS GENTLEMAN!!
Thank you Joe, for your post!! It is so refreshing to read your thoughts over some others that are so hateful!
I thank you and appreciate you!
Thank you Justify. I too over the years have appreciated your sharing along with so many others here.

Thank You All. :D

joer
Guru

Post #128

Post by joer »

OK, I guess you asked for it so here it is. Calabrese's approach of multiplying unrelated and arbitrary probabilities on a self-selected list of claims is so invalid it looks dishonest when it is called science.
Kind of a charged opening statement on an unbiased objective scientific presentation, don’t you think Byofrcs? Or is this the openly admitted jaded slanted view? Let’s take a look at some of your statements:

“unrelated and arbitrary probabilities� - not exactly. These are not “arbitrary� but systematically stated. Not “unrelated�, they are ALL related to one source. And not “probabilities� but clearly stated positions as fact predating their future scientific discovery.

Furthermore rather than “a self-selected list of claims� as Calabrese says,
“These predictions have not been cherry-picked while other misses ignored. They have been chosen because they have been subsequently established by human science.�
And finally in regard to your statement referring to these predictions and their later scientific confirmations as, “so invalid it looks dishonest when it is called science.�,

WE SHALL SEE.

Byofrcs you then go on about the time discrepancy between a reference Calabrese used and gave a link to, http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/neutrino.html Calabrese’s reference [Bar98]which also contained this link: http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/fred.html Linked from Calabrese’s reference to a BIO on Reines and his work. And the reference that you found and gave no link to, “The neutrino. Frederick Reines, Clyde L. Cowan (Los Alamos) , Sep 1956 that was published in Nature 178:446-449,1956� , that is dated 3 years prior to Calabrese’s reference’s date.

By the way a link that I found that I believe gives a good overview to this subject of “continued� neutrino discovery, that others on this site might enjoy is this one: http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/9512/9512420v1.pdf

You further go on to state that:
“Given that the work on finding the Neutrino (results interesting in 1953) was taking place contemporary to the Urantia construction and publication in 1955 the exact date is very important.�
If the exact date of these things is that important why didn’t you state up front that in the VERY FIRST paragraph of Calabrese’s presentation he states: “Although the Urantia book was first published in 1955, already by 1942 it was “fixed� and by 1946 the final versions of the 1st edition plates were in the vault of the printer RR Donnelley and Sons of Chicago, ready to produce 10,000 copies.[Mu100]� Is it because if you stated that, it would show that the Urantia Book’s prediction predated your “revised� initial scientific discovery of the neutrino in 1956 by TEN YEARS? And further it (TUB’s prediction) predated the discovery of the neutrino’s mass in 1998 by over 50 years!.

You use this quote from Calabrese’s paper to point out the same thing he did, that Pauli postulated about the neutrino in 1931 and beyond.
"While W. Pauli predicted neutrinos in 1931 and E. Fermi incorporated them into his 1934 theory of atomic decay, they were not actually observed until 1959. [Bar98]..."
BUT what you FAIL to acknowledge, IS that The Urantia Book didn’t only predict the particles, it “boldly affirms their existence as “certain small uncharged particles� and their role.� Boldly means going against ACCEPTED Scientific Theory like the example of the neutrino having mass Calabrese gave which YOU had such a problem with:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762175.html
“These findings run counter to the standard model of particle physics—the basic theory about the structure of matter—which holds that these electrically neutral, weakly interacting particles have no mass. The discovery means that existing theoretical models of matter must now be revised to include neutrinos with mass.�

If there are those who are willing to investigate
, let them see what you’ve left out BYOFRCS. The Urantia book doesn’t only talk about the particle in terms of it’s date of discovery BUT it further describes it’s characteristics and related particles that ARE STILL BEING DISCOVERED TODAY! Look at these TUB quotes from Calabrese’s paper and compare them to the following link or any other scientific paper on the subject of equal or greater quality.
“The Urantia Book boldly affirms their existence as “certain small uncharged particles� and their role. “The integrity of the nucleus is maintained by the reciprocal cohering function of the mesotron, which is able to hold charged and uncharged particles together because of superior force-mass power and by the further function of causing protons and neutrons constantly to change places.� “

“The presence and function of the mesotron also explains another atomic riddle. When atoms perform radioactively, they emit far more energy than would be expected. This excess of radiation is derived from the breaking up of the mesotron " energy carrier, " which thereby becomes a mere electron. The mesotronic disintegration is also accompanied by the emission of certain small uncharged particles.�
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/9512/9512420v1.pdf

So after we do a more objective and documented review of your claims it becomes clear you aren’t trying to present a FAIR scientific review of Calabrese’s work. It appears you may want to dupe people into a slanted one sided view supporting your position. (Or maybe you just overlooked the obvious) So your ending stands exposed for the jaded expressions they are, and can be simply and succinctly addressed
Why didn't you comment on this obvious error?
Didn’t know there was an error.
What are you hiding?
Nothing. I’ve shed more light on the subject and exposed your slanted position.
I think you'll understand now why Atheists just don't trust what we are told on faith but must investigate it. This has nothing to do with faith.
In this case there's no faith involved. It’s all science, reason and logic which anyone can plainly see.
Please don't get upset if we find flaws in your understanding because that is how we change our understanding.
Don’t worry about me, I HOPE YOU DON’T GET UPSET with the flaws I’ve exposed in yours!
My gut feel though is that you'll still have faith in this Urantia nonsense.
Well let’s put it this way. Like most atheists I know, I don’t need to have faith in it. I can rely on the science that proves it is what it is.

Thank You Byofrcs, for finally giving me something I could respond to logically, scientifically and rationally. I look forward to more discussion of this scientific proof on that basis.

Good Will to you and all on this site. :D
Last edited by joer on Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joer
Guru

Post #129

Post by joer »

Beto wrote:
joer wrote:So what's up with that Beto? Why the atheistic double standard? Science is good to support the ideas you want it to support but when it supports ideas contrary to those you like, NOW IT'S NO GOOD! Right?
No, not right. How many different ways must this be explained? Science doesn't conform to "likes" or "dislikes". It is objective. I trust science, not all scientists. And definitely not scientists that fail the peer-review test. I hold no double-standard, and personally I don't "like" some theories more than others, since I have no religious belief system riding on it. I apply the same criteria when evaluating their individual merits. Obviously, short of doing the science myself, I have to trust the peer-review system, always with a slight measure of skepticism, as the reviewers are still only human.
I'm not a scientist. Others here are much more suitable to check validity on their own. As for me, can you provide any indication this person has passed the peer-review test? I'll have to accept it.
Hi Beto, Thanks for your post. Review my last post and evaluate it on the basis of your best scientific judgment and see how it stands up.

Can't be much fairer than that right?

Good Will to you brother and all here. :D

daedalus 2.0
Banned
Banned

Post #130

Post by daedalus 2.0 »

I really would like to know why people deny scripture. Marcion (PBUH) was pious and righteous in giving us the Living Word of Truth and yet he is cast aside for a heretical Bible created by a corrupt church 300 years later.

Why do people reject Marcion's Canon?
Imagine the people who believe ... and not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible.... It is these ignorant people�who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us...I.Asimov