Christianity and Skepticism

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

USIncognito
Apprentice
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:17 am

Christianity and Skepticism

Post #1

Post by USIncognito »

Jose posted this in the Creation/Evolution forum, but it hits on a hot button issue of mine, and since we don't have a specific Science or Critical Thinking forum, I thought I would post this here.
Jose wrote:Much of the US public seems to have chosen not to trust science. Instead, they trust anti-science. They will eat anything if it promises weight loss, even in the face of hard scientific evidence that it may cause death. When the FDA finally banned ephedra, people complained that their Constitutional rights were being taken away. Of course, the relatives of the people who'd died from it felt that FDA should have banned it sooner, not realizing that Congress, in its "Contract with America" a decade ago, made dietary supplements immune to FDA oversight. This is just about as anti-science, anti-public health as I can imagine, yet it is what we've done, and what Americans seem to have voted to continue.
An excellent statement advocating skepticism. I have a long post that I made to Christian Forums about skepticism, what it is, and what it is not. I'll post a link here if this thread seems to generate enough interest. The basic point I'll transcribe her now is, unfortunately about atheism and religiousity. A lot of vocal skeptics are also vocal skeptics and that - IMO - tends to turn off a lot of relgigious believers from being active with skeptic groups.

My personal attempt at reconcilliation is a random number - 30. If I, and a religious believer agree that 29 or 30 topics, be they cryptozoology, homeopathy, theraputic touch, psychics, etc., except for the issue of religious belief - that person is a fellow skeptic. I'd embrace them in our collective efforts to reduce the sales of quack medicine and Nigerian scam spam in our e-mail inboxes.

The issue, per se, isn't about pseudoscience or being anti-science, but simply about asking questions. Asking where the evidence is. Asking how much support for advocates of these issues are emotional or belief, and not evidence. Asking like Clara Peller said so many years ago... "Where's the beef?"

User avatar
otseng
Savant
Posts: 20993
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Has thanked: 218 times
Been thanked: 397 times
Contact:

Post #11

Post by otseng »

USIncognito wrote:Bah! I spent quite a bit of time composing a reply, but saved it as a draft rather than posted it, it was wonderfully prosaic, profound and moving... really, I swear.
No need to fear. All drafts can be retrieved. Actually, that's the purpose of it, so that you can save it and post it later. Just go to the forum index, then click on View your drafts and posts in the upper right hand corner. Your draft posts will be listed at the top.
If any of the religious members of this forum have been considering "coming out" as a skeptic, please post here, let me know via PM, or Google for national, state or local organizations you might want to become involved with.
I enjoyed reading your post. So much so that I would even consider to be a "card carrying skeptic" if the organization would allow skeptic theists. :P

USIncognito
Apprentice
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:17 am

Post #12

Post by USIncognito »

otseng wrote:I enjoyed reading your post. So much so that I would even consider to be a "card carrying skeptic" if the organization would allow skeptic theists. :P
Hah! Mine was not the only voice of dissent, and I recently severed my ties with the JREF message board over a personality conflict with another member more so than my ongoing peeve over the atheist/skeptic orthodoxy issue. I have joined the Skeptic Societies message board in recent days, and while that organization does have a decidedly atheist bent, Shermer at least tried to rationally come to terms with religion in his books "Why We Believe" and "The Science of Good and Evil," rather than dismiss religiosity at mental illness.

Which leads me to post something I neglected to above (thank you saved draft for reminding me).

The metaphorical last straw for me at TAM3 was a presentation by Margaret Downey. She had a really neat skeptical idea, Superstition Parties, that for me took on the taint of pretension. In the parties, skeptics try and help their credulous friends overcome their superstitions by doing things like walking under ladders, pinning a tail on a black cat or breaking a mirror. That's all well and good, but her suggestion was to dress as medical personnel (she wore a old time nurses outfit) so you can "cure" the superstitious of their beliefs.

I was offended that simple ignorance or credulousness was treated by her organization as mental illness. Thinking fairies exist or that horoscopes have value is not the same as schizophrenia.

I'm really at a loss to recommend an organization for religious skeptics to join up with, though if they have a message board, joining and demonstrating my 29 or 30 analogy applies to the religious it can't hurt. Both national and local organizations are great sources of information on issues of contention - Randi has debunked so many dowsers it's not even funny, and my local North Texas Skeptics have a page documenting the failure of a claimed telekinetic. But the issue of skepticism extends way beyond Bigfoot and John Edward to mundane things like nutritional suppliments and 0.0 APR introductory rates on credit cards.

Post Reply