Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Unworthiness

Post #1

Post by justifyothers »

Christians & Unworthiness -

This topic has bothered me for some time. Much of Christian doctrine is based on the teachings of Paul. We all know this. Nothing new here. He preaches that we are unworthy of God’s love. That we are deviant sinners from the start.

This doctrine is supported by many preachers from the pulpit, on television, on the radio and in private bible studies. Some are more dramatic with the force in which they teach it, while some are more sublime with this message. Either way, it’s out there for all to hear.

Now, another typical Christian doctrine s that of the sacrifice of Jesus. There are basically two schools of thought on this – either he was a son of God or he WAS God in the flesh. In both circumstances, Jesus obviously felt that we were ‘worthy’ enough to give his life for us, and God approved this action.

There is no doubt we are not a perfect race. The idea that we ‘sin’/make mistakes is not the issue here. It is our worthiness/unworthiness I would like to discuss. But whether you believe we simply make mistakes and learn from them and move on – or that we are evil sinners and can do no right……the question remains…….why would God/Jesus deem us worthy enough to die for and forgive these transgressions, yet we cannot get over it and move on? Why can’t we accept the gift of forgiveness, life and love and get on with our lives? Why must this idea of lowliness be drilled into our heads? Jesus is recorded of speaking often on the subject of giving – giving freely, without regret, without keeping tabs, etc. Yet, are we to believe that this is how He/God gives? (I love you – but you don’t deserve it)

Let’s look at this from a practical life stance. If someone feels unworthy of their mother’s love, this person may seek counseling to help with this issue. The therapist wants to lay a new foundation of self-worth. This is because a feeling of insecurity and inferiority is not healthy for us. Why then, do we accept this feeling when it comes to God’s love? If we do not feel worthy of love, how can we possibly give love freely to others?

I’m not saying we are equals to God or great creatures of some sort. I’m suggesting that we are actually worthy of His love. I believe this is why He created us – so that we can humbly & gratefully accept His love and be truly free to love others. This, IMO, is the gift and the glad tidings. Perhaps we should truly accept the act of Jesus – realizing that if we weren’t worthy, he wouldn’t have died for us, and/or God wouldn’t have approved this.

I think if we can continue to make mistakes and learn from them – becoming closer to the nature of God – we are essentially doing God’s will. (IMO – this is to become more loving people) If we continue to wallow in the swamps of inferiority, we are not genuinely accepting the gift of love.

Agree?
Disagree?
[/b]

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Agree

Post #21

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Flail wrote:I agree with the OP....

The guilt of the downtrodden is a primary motivation for the Christian Church business model....looking for customers...looking for money...as if God and salvation from your supposed sinful disgusting nature can be found in books,memberships,dogma and rituals.

...I guess as long as you are sinful and disgusting and a Christian,God will love you...but if you are sinful and disgusting and a Muslim or a Jew or an agnostic or atheistic...God will see you in Hell....what a f....d up philosophy.
>opinion based on reasonable, logical assumptions from the OP<
If Miss justifyothers' OP is correct, and God finds value in humanity, it could affect this scenario. If he deemed us "worthy" he could just as well look at atheists and other religions with a mindset of "silly humans" and consider us based on our actions as opposed to how we worship.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

drs
Sage

Re: Unworthiness

Post #22

Post by drs »

Zzyzx wrote:.
drs wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:The following is the best commercial AGAINST Christianity that I have read recently.
Why?
In my opinion most people are not seeking ways to feel worthless and are not seeking to be slaves.
It's not about seeking ways to feel worthless.

It is about did I do anything to be worthy of salvation?

Ofcourse not, otherwise CHRIST would not have had to come and die on the cross.

Did I do anthing to be worthy or deserving of GOD'S love?

The answer is no, the only thing I did was violate GOD'S laws and continualy live in sin for 3 decades before CHRIST called to me and gave me a new life.

This is why anyone who is truly in CHRIST, it is a sole act of mercy, grace and love on the part of GOD, not the sinner who has been granted the gift.

kayky
Prodigy

Re: Unworthiness

Post #23

Post by kayky »

It's not about seeking ways to feel worthless.

It is about did I do anything to be worthy of salvation?

Ofcourse not, otherwise CHRIST would not have had to come and die on the cross.

Did I do anthing to be worthy or deserving of GOD'S love?

The answer is no, the only thing I did was violate GOD'S laws and continualy live in sin for 3 decades before CHRIST called to me and gave me a new life.

This is why anyone who is truly in CHRIST, it is a sole act of mercy, grace and love on the part of GOD, not the sinner who has been granted the gift.
We do not have to DO anything to be worthy of God. We are worthy because of who we ARE in God. Jesus's death on the cross had nothing to do with our worthiness--it is an illustration of our path home to God--a path that brings to death all that is false in us so that the truth may surface (resurrection).