"Morality"

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

spiritletter
Apprentice

"Morality"

Post #1

Post by spiritletter »

I think that Christ said something like "Love thy neighbor as thyself" which he deemed to be the commandment that contained all the others. The minister who leads my lectio divina group told me that her spiritual adviser told her that any reading of the scripture than does not have a baseline of love is the wrong reading. That sounds pretty good to me.

From long experience, I find that the people who are obsessed with morals are driven by vengence and retribution and deep personal rage.

Morality is the result of love and not the other way around? That sounds much better to me.

It gets back to judging and stone casting.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: "Morality"

Post #2

Post by Goat »

spiritletter wrote:I think that Christ said something like "Love thy neighbor as thyself" which he deemed to be the commandment that contained all the others. The minister who leads my lectio divina group told me that her spiritual adviser told her that any reading of the scripture than does not have a baseline of love is the wrong reading. That sounds pretty good to me.

From long experience, I find that the people who are obsessed with morals are driven by vengence and retribution and deep personal rage.

Morality is the result of love and not the other way around? That sounds much better to me.

The key point is 'obsessed' with morality. They are the ones that feel it is their duty to keep others moral. Probably part of it is that they have so little self control
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by spiritletter »

I'm with you on that. There are people in various denominations of Christianity who remind me of the Taliban.

onefaith
Scholar

Post #4

Post by onefaith »

I think when people try too hard to be moral they get caught up in pride and then think that since they're trying to be moral they are better than everyone else. But when morality comes from love, it all works out. If someone truly loves God and loves others, then the morals will fall into place.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

onefaith wrote:I think when people try too hard to be moral they get caught up in pride and then think that since they're trying to be moral they are better than everyone else. But when morality comes from love, it all works out. If someone truly loves God and loves others, then the morals will fall into place.
Well, we agree to a degree. If someone truly loves others, then the morals will fall into place. Loving God, will only allow them to be hoodwinked by the self-appointed agents of God into doing immoral things.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

byofrcs

Post #6

Post by byofrcs »

spiritletter wrote:I think that Christ said something like "Love thy neighbor as thyself" which he deemed to be the commandment that contained all the others. The minister who leads my lectio divina group told me that her spiritual adviser told her that any reading of the scripture than does not have a baseline of love is the wrong reading. That sounds pretty good to me.

That obsession may explain why the more Americans go to church then the more they agree with the use of torture. (Survey results here).

Now I don't know if it is because people predisposed to liking torture go to church or if church causes people to want to torture others.

Either way - going to Church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by tlong »

byofrcs wrote:

That obsession may explain why the more Americans go to church then the more they agree with the use of torture. (Survey results here).

Now I don't know if it is because people predisposed to liking torture go to church or if church causes people to want to torture others.

Either way - going to Church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.

What a stretch. You must have been dying to try and use that poll because it has no correlation to the op.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Confused »

tlong wrote:
byofrcs wrote:

What a stretch. You must have been dying to try and use that poll because it has no correlation to the op.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Please try to avoid non-constructive posts such as this. If you feel a rule has been broken by another member, such as posts that are irrelevant to the thread and/or lead the debate away from the OP, report it. Responding to it like this only gets you into trouble.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by tlong »

Confused wrote:
tlong wrote:
byofrcs wrote:

MODERATOR NOTE:

Please try to avoid non-constructive posts such as this. If you feel a rule has been broken by another member, such as posts that are irrelevant to the thread and/or lead the debate away from the OP, report it. Responding to it like this only gets you into trouble.
Whatever! I had a valid point. Get over your self!

Jester
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Jester »

Moderator Comment
tlong wrote:Whatever! I had a valid point. Get over your self!
All replies to moderator comments are to be made privately, and should be of a far more civil tone than this. It is neither polite, nor in your own best interests to respond in this way.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.