"Morality"

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

spiritletter
Apprentice

"Morality"

Post #1

Post by spiritletter »

I think that Christ said something like "Love thy neighbor as thyself" which he deemed to be the commandment that contained all the others. The minister who leads my lectio divina group told me that her spiritual adviser told her that any reading of the scripture than does not have a baseline of love is the wrong reading. That sounds pretty good to me.

From long experience, I find that the people who are obsessed with morals are driven by vengence and retribution and deep personal rage.

Morality is the result of love and not the other way around? That sounds much better to me.

It gets back to judging and stone casting.

Amos
Apprentice

Re: "Morality"

Post #11

Post by Amos »

byofrcs wrote:That obsession may explain why the more Americans go to church then the more they agree with the use of torture. (Survey results here).

Now I don't know if it is because people predisposed to liking torture go to church or if church causes people to want to torture others.

Either way - going to Church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.
This inflammatory, insulting post is ok, but tlong's is not. Fantastic!

The poll that is linked here is pretty useless. What exactly do they mean by "torture?" If they mean the non-life threatening, non-bodily injury causing things they did to those vile terrorists to get information from them to save lives, I'm all for it, just like every other sane person.

Not going to church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Confused »

Amos wrote:
byofrcs wrote:That obsession may explain why the more Americans go to church then the more they agree with the use of torture. (Survey results here).

Now I don't know if it is because people predisposed to liking torture go to church or if church causes people to want to torture others.

Either way - going to Church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.
This inflammatory, insulting post is ok, but tlong's is not. Fantastic!

The poll that is linked here is pretty useless. What exactly do they mean by "torture?" If they mean the non-life threatening, non-bodily injury causing things they did to those vile terrorists to get information from them to save lives, I'm all for it, just like every other sane person.

Not going to church is symptomatic of a rather screwed up mentality when it comes to morality.

MODERATOR NOTE:

First, even short commentaries like that in bold are rule violations. You do no justice by making comments about rules as you are violating them yourself.
Second, had tlong opted to report the post rather than commenting on it, as you have done as well in failing to report it but opting to comment on it, then byofrcs would have gotten the note, not tlong.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Confused »

MODERATOR ACTION:

As there is no real topic for debate here, I am moving this to RR.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by tlong »

Jester wrote:Moderator Comment
tlong wrote:Whatever! I had a valid point. Get over your self!
All replies to moderator comments are to be made privately, and should be of a far more civil tone than this. It is neither polite, nor in your own best interests to respond in this way.

It would be in your best interest to use a different avatar. A "man" using a woman mime is quite confusing. Are you having some sort of a identity crisis?

I have not noticed a moderator yet that isn't a edited for content yet on this web site.

Jester
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Jester »

Moderator Comment
tlong wrote:It would be in your best interest to use a different avatar. A "man" using a woman mime is quite confusing. Are you having some sort of a identity crisis?

I have not noticed a moderator yet that isn't edited for content yet on this web site.
Personal Comment: The photo is actually a picture of my wife which I edited as part of a college project. As such, it is of personal importance to me in spite of the fact that it is not a picture of a man.
Moderator Comment: Far more importantly, however, is your continued insistence on insulting individuals, as well as the moderating team in general. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with comments like this, but consider this your formal warning. They will only get you placed on probation and, if they do not cease, banned from the site. There are plenty of places on the internet that you can go to have a flame war; if that is you intent, I suggest you go to one of them.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by tlong »

tlong wrote:It would be in your best interest to use a different avatar. A "man" using a woman mime is quite confusing. Are you having some sort of a identity crisis?

I have not noticed a moderator yet that isn't edited for content yet on this web site.
Personal Comment: The photo is actually a picture of my wife which I edited as part of a college project. As such, it is of personal importance to me in spite of the fact that it is not a picture of a man.
Moderator Comment: Far more importantly, however, is your continued insistence on insulting individuals, as well as the moderating team in general. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with comments like this, but consider this your formal warning. They will only get you placed on probation and, if they do not cease, banned from the site. There are plenty of places on the internet that you can go to have a flame war; if that is you intent, I suggest you go to one of them.

Yoy mean I can go to another site that has the same views as I do. The moderating team on this site never says a word about the insulting material that others post about christians. Also, you should not have edited the pampas out of my last post.

You guys need some new moderators that aren't so biased. It is one thing to be biased about your personal views, but quite another to only point things out that you personally find offense to. That shows an extreme lack of respect for the people with differing views on this site. If you think me pointing things out on this site that are biased is trying to have a flame war, then call me Johnny Flame.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Confused »

tlong wrote:

Yoy mean I can go to another site that has the same views as I do. The moderating team on this site never says a word about the insulting material that others post about christians. Also, you should not have edited the pampas out of my last post.

You guys need some new moderators that aren't so biased. It is one thing to be biased about your personal views, but quite another to only point things out that you personally find offense to. That shows an extreme lack of respect for the people with differing views on this site. If you think me pointing things out on this site that are biased is trying to have a flame war, then call me Johnny Flame.

MODERATOR INFORMATION:

Jester didn't edit out your words, I did.

If you think nothing is done about non-Christians, then perhaps you ought to explain why it is that byofrcs was placed on probation just as you were? Simply because you don't see everything doesn't meant that things aren't being addressed.

On that note, this thread will be locked for lack of anything meaningful in content.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein