Can God do anything?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

music4two

Can God do anything?

Post #1

Post by music4two »

Is there anything God cannot do? Yes! That’s right God can’t do all things. Not because He is limited in power at all. It is because His very nature prohibits him from acting in certain manners.
There are certain absolutes when it comes to God. An example might be that God cannot BE God and NOT BE God. Another example is that God cannot create another God that is equal to Himself. One absolute is that God is eternal and infinite. Any created being would be less and therefore subservient to the original, God.

So what can’t God do?

In the silliness of my youth I would engage in philosophical debates on questions like “Can God make a rock so big He cannot lift it?� As I gained more wisdom, I realized that those that asked such questions were usually not interested in God but wanted to spin the conversation down a rabbit hole of idle philosophy. So I am not going to deal with such questions here.

Let’s deal with some valuable questions. Here are some things God cannot do.

1. God cannot lie. His standard of right and wrong does not change. He cannot say something is true today and not true tomorrow.
Abraham knew this and even when confronted with slaying Isaac, Abraham knew that God would have to raise him from the dead because of the promises made by God about Isaac.
God can never again send a worldwide flood because He made a promise against it.

Heb.6
13For when God made the promise to Abraham, since He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself,
14saying, "I WILL SURELY BLESS YOU AND I WILL SURELY MULTIPLY YOU."
15And so, having patiently waited, he obtained the promise.
16For men swear by one greater than themselves, and with them an oath given as confirmation is an end of every dispute.
17In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath,
18so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us.

2. Can God stop being God or stop existing? God is infinite. The morality of God does not change. His character does not change. Attributes of that character are holiness, truthfulness, love, mercy, and justice. The nature of God is infinite, meaning no end. God is the only being in the universe that is absolute in His character. He is the ultimate of perfection. God cannot cease to exist. He is self sustaining in His existence. God is eternal and cannot die.

3. God is not free to act contrary to His character. His commands and actions are grounded in what is ultimately and eventually good and righteous. Because we cannot know or see everything it may appear at times that God breaks this attribute but it always turns out to be for the good.

4. God cannot sin or be tempted to sin. Holiness is an absolute in God’s nature and cannot change.

5. God is not arbitrary. Everything that God does has purpose. God’s creation (including man) has a purpose. Men may fail to find their purpose, but that does not mean they were created without one. In the same way God’s plan’s have purpose and function as God designed them. The purpose or “Fruit� of God’s creation is the perfecting of His children into beings with which He can have fellowship. Children who have all of God’s character possible within a human being. All of God’s plans center around this single goal. If we are following a plan that does not produce this kind of fruit, it is not the fault of God’s plan it is that we are following a plan other then God’s.

JoeB
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by JoeB »

InTheFlesh wrote:No such forum! ;)
Uhm actually yes, this subforum is to be free from "prove chrisitianity"

From the sticky "Purpose of this subforum"
The purpose of this subforum is to have a place to freely engage in debates on Christian theology with the basic assumption that the Bible can be used as a primary reference without the need to defend its authority. Responses to topics with "but first you have to prove that the Bible is true" is not allowed here."

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #12

Post by OnceConvinced »

InTheFlesh wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:God seems to have an awful lot of trouble getting people to have faith in him too.
Matt.22
[14] For many are called, but few are chosen.

1Pet.2
[9] But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 8-)
Every Christian believes they are chosen of God, the elect.

Besides:

(Isaiah 55:1-3) "Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters; And you who have no money, Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk Without money and without price. {2} Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance. {3} Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you; The sure mercies of David.

(John 7:37-39) On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. {38} "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." {39} But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

(James 4:6-8) But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble." {7} Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. {8} Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

John 1:12
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.

2 Peter 3:9
He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

And the most famous one of all:

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that WHOEVER BELIEVES in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Bible contradictions. Don't you love them? :lol:

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #13

Post by OnceConvinced »

InTheFlesh wrote:the non believer feels God is evil.
Gross generalisation. Not every non believer believes God is evil. Only those who read the bible with an open mind a likely to come to that conclusion.
InTheFlesh wrote: Pss.145
[17] The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
This is true because it says so in the bible! ;)
And I'm the most brilliant guy in the world, the sexiest and the most desirable to woman. That's true because it says so right here in this very post. ;)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #14

Post by myth-one.com »

OnceConvinced wrote:And I'm the most brilliant guy in the world, the sexiest and the most desirable to woman. That's true because it says so right here in this very post. ;)
But, but , but my wife says that I'm "the most brilliant guy in the world, the sexiest and the most desirable to woman." I have a notarized statement to that affect. It must be true!

Perhaps its in the eye of the beholder.

InTheFlesh
Guru

Post #15

Post by InTheFlesh »

JoeB wrote:
InTheFlesh wrote:No such forum! ;)
Uhm actually yes, this subforum is to be free from "prove chrisitianity"

From the sticky "Purpose of this subforum"
The purpose of this subforum is to have a place to freely engage in debates on Christian theology with the basic assumption that the Bible can be used as a primary reference without the need to defend its authority. Responses to topics with "but first you have to prove that the Bible is true" is not allowed here."
Thanks for pointing that out.
Hopefully, Joey is paying attention. ;)

InTheFlesh
Guru

Post #16

Post by InTheFlesh »

Gross generalisation. Not every non believer believes God is evil. Only those who read the bible with an open mind a likely to come to that conclusion.

InTheFlesh wrote:Please don't speak for others.
Since you are an unbeliever,
do you feel the God of the bible is evil? :-k

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #17

Post by myth-one.com »

Hell, am I "Confused" now?
Then, I believed OnceConvinced wrote:Gross generalisation. Not every non believer believes God is evil. Only those who read the bible with an open mind a likely to come to that conclusion.
Then I believe InTheFlesh scolded OnceConvinced for speaking for others, when he wrote:Please don't speak for others.
But doesn't InTheFlesh's statement "The non believer feels God is evil," attempt to speak for all non-believers? Is this one of those "do as I say, not as I do" statements?
Earlier in Post #12, OnceConvinced wrote:2 Peter 3:9
He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that WHOEVER BELIEVES in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Bible contradictions. Don't you love them?
Where is any contradiction in these two verses?

tlong
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by tlong »

myth-one.com wrote:Hell, am I "Confused" now?
Then, I believed OnceConvinced wrote:Gross generalisation. Not every non believer believes God is evil. Only those who read the bible with an open mind a likely to come to that conclusion.
Then I believe InTheFlesh scolded OnceConvinced for speaking for others, when he wrote:Please don't speak for others.
But doesn't InTheFlesh's statement "The non believer feels God is evil," attempt to speak for all non-believers? Is this one of those "do as I say, not as I do" statements?

Don't worry myth-one, I've tried to figure out once convinced logic before and the only conclusion one might come to is there is no logic.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #19

Post by OnceConvinced »

InTheFlesh wrote: Gross generalisation. Not every non believer believes God is evil. Only those who read the bible with an open mind a likely to come to that conclusion.
InTheFlesh wrote:Please don't speak for others.
Hold on you just did by claiming the non-believer feels God is evil. So how is it it's alright for you to speak for others and not me? Are you being a little hypocritical?

I speak a truth, you however do not. Not all non-believers feel God is evil. An obvious fact. I know this as i have communicated with many non-believers who have claimed they don't see God as evil. Perhaps I should start a thread here in the A room and prove it to you?
InTheFlesh wrote: Since you are an unbeliever,
The jury is still out on that one. I wouldn't say he was evil, but he is certainly a wrathful, violent being who thinks nothing of wiping out his beloved creations at a whim.
Last edited by OnceConvinced on Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #20

Post by OnceConvinced »

tlong wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:Hell, am I "Confused" now?

Don't worry myth-one, I've tried to figure out once convinced logic before and the only conclusion one might come to is there is no logic.
Now where is there a problem with my logic here? Would you like to point it out? If you're unable to figure out my logic then that shows something lacking on your behalf not mine. Making personal attacks while on probation shows a lack of logic in my books.