spirits of the nephalim

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

spirits of the nephalim

Post #1

Post by FinalEnigma »

When sent to an article about nephalim by another member, I encountered the following:
In addition to Enoch, the Book of Jubilees (7:21–25) also states that ridding the Earth of these Nephilim was one of God's purposes for flooding the Earth in Noah's time.
and
According to these texts, the fallen angels who begat the Nephilim were cast into Tartarus/Gehenna, a place of 'total darkness'. However, Jubilees also states that God granted ten percent of the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim to remain after the flood, as demons, to try to lead the human race astray (through idolatry, the occult, etc.) until the final Judgment.
Why on earth would god flood...er, the earth, partly to kill the Nephilim and remove their evil, and then release a bunch of them to lead humans astray again?
We do not hate others because of the flaws in their souls, we hate them because of the flaws in our own.

Metatron
Guru

Re: spirits of the nephalim

Post #2

Post by Metatron »

FinalEnigma wrote:When sent to an article about nephalim by another member, I encountered the following:
In addition to Enoch, the Book of Jubilees (7:21–25) also states that ridding the Earth of these Nephilim was one of God's purposes for flooding the Earth in Noah's time.
and
According to these texts, the fallen angels who begat the Nephilim were cast into Tartarus/Gehenna, a place of 'total darkness'. However, Jubilees also states that God granted ten percent of the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim to remain after the flood, as demons, to try to lead the human race astray (through idolatry, the occult, etc.) until the final Judgment.
Why on earth would god flood...er, the earth, partly to kill the Nephilim and remove their evil, and then release a bunch of them to lead humans astray again?
Perhaps for the same reason that, after having wiped out mankind corrupted by original sin, he allowed the earth to be re-populated by the descendants of people... still corrupted by original sin.

Nec Spe Nec Metu
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Nec Spe Nec Metu »

FinalEnigma wrote:When sent to an article about nephalim by another member, I encountered the following:
and
Because the persistence of evil in the world according to Christianity is based on YHWH's blundering senile delinquence.

Metatron
Guru

Post #4

Post by Metatron »

and

You'll probably get objections from most Christians that the question is invalid because Enoch and Jubilees have not received the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from their respective flavors of Christianity (with the exception I believe of Ethiopian Orthodox who do accept these two books as canon).

Zimphire

Post #5

Post by Zimphire »

From what I understand Biblically after the fall of man via sin, God made the proxy prophesy that through man (Jesus) he would create the final sacrifice to atone to sin and not only remove it, but destroy or bind those fallen ones who caused it by deception.
Those that fell wanted to put a kibosh on the plan. They planned on corrupting the DNA of man so no messiah could come forth from it to judge and destroy them. That is where the Nephilim came from.
God saw what was going on and put an end to it before they could succeed. Hence the flood.
Noah being saved may have had more to do with his genetic purity than his spiritual beliefs.
In regards to the 10% of disembodied spirits of the Nephilim, these are who many ancient societies worshipped. The demigods of old. The Baal, the Molechs of the world. The very ghosts, poltergeists, and UFOs we see in modern times. John Keel, the author of many books on the supernatural including “The Mothman Prophesies� also came to this same conclusion without speaking about the theological nature.

SallyF
Guru

Post #6

Post by SallyF »

Zimphire wrote: From what I understand Biblically after the fall of man via sin, God made the proxy prophesy that through man (Jesus) he would create the final sacrifice to atone to sin and not only remove it, but destroy or bind those fallen ones who caused it by deception.
Those that fell wanted to put a kibosh on the plan. They planned on corrupting the DNA of man so no messiah could come forth from it to judge and destroy them. That is where the Nephilim came from.
God saw what was going on and put an end to it before they could succeed. Hence the flood.
Noah being saved may have had more to do with his genetic purity than his spiritual beliefs.
In regards to the 10% of disembodied spirits of the Nephilim, these are who many ancient societies worshipped. The demigods of old. The Baal, the Molechs of the world. The very ghosts, poltergeists, and UFOs we see in modern times. John Keel, the author of many books on the supernatural including “The Mothman Prophesies� also came to this same conclusion without speaking about the theological nature.

Wow ... fascinating stuff ...!!!

I'd like to find out more.

BUT ...

Because people involved in belief systems have been known to, you know, just make fanciful stuff up about gods and angels and fallen ones and such ...

Can you give us some good, old fashioned, hard, down to earth evidence to back up what you've just written ...?

I'd like to go and do some independent fact checking before I commit to a serious study.

Referring me to other people who have said the same things you have, just won't do, however.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

FinalEnigma wrote:

Occasionally we must turn away from biblical tales with a smile. Take the nonsense from triumphant Kings: "For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah."

And an amusing footnote to the Lot rubbish would be that Lot indeed used the salt that was his wife. And it tasted good, so he thanked Yahweh. They missed out that important conclusion.

Nephilim? Greek Titans sound much better and the punishment of Tantalus is more imaginative. We cannot expect intelligent actions from Yahweh, given he was the creation of nomads.

SallyF
Guru

Post #8

Post by SallyF »

All manner of fantastical things lurk in the imaginations of those who succumb to the lure of the opium of the masses.

And there all too many dealers willing to sell it to the credulous …

"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Zimphire

Post #9

Post by Zimphire »

Wow ... fascinating stuff ...!!!

I'd like to find out more.

BUT ...

Because people involved in belief systems have been known to, you know, just make fanciful stuff up about gods and angels and fallen ones and such ...

Can you give us some good, old fashioned, hard, down to earth evidence to back up what you've just written ...?

I'd like to go and do some independent fact checking before I commit to a serious study.
There’s a lot of “non official� books of the old testament in regards to Jewish teachings. Books the Catholics decided weren’t “cannon�
The book of Enoch was one of these books.
Enoch was the sixth generation after Adam and Eve who God supposably took him from the earth without causing his death when he was 365 years old. Doubting Enoch himself wrote it.
Long before the Torah was written down it was passed down by mouth. This was known as the oral Torah. There’s a ton of Jewish books and stories that never was put into the bible or torah because they weren’t seen as a spiritual guide, therefor irrelevant.
Anyhow, the book of Enoch goes into detail about the fallen ones, their offspring, and the incoming flood and future events that have never happened yet.
Interesting read even if you hold no spiritual beliefs.

Zimphire

Post #10

Post by Zimphire »

As far as a non-theological info in regards to what the Bible referred to as the spirits of the Nephilim..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation ... prov=sfti1

Really good book. Both that and The Mothman Prophesies.