Contradictions in Holy Books

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Contradictions in Holy Books

Post #1

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Take a work of fiction, say the Middle Earth of JRR Tolkien, or Frank Herbert’s Dune, or Scott Westerfeld’s The Risen Empire. I haven’t hunted through them for contradictions, but it remains entirely possible that the author made these fictional worlds internally coherent, and containing no contradictions.

How does this prove the validity of the claims made in the writings themselves though? If a Bible or Qur’ân can be shown as completely coherent and containing no contradictions, how does this prove that god exists and that the scriptures’ particular version of god actually exists?
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by TrueReligion »

Miles wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:
Miles wrote:Well, if there are true contradictions in the Bible, where one statement has to be false, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?
This my friend any neutral theologian may answer you,
Not having a neutral theologian at hand, and because you apparently know what they would say, I put the question to you: in light of the fact that we know there are fallacious statements in the Bible, how can we be certain that any particular statement in the Bible is true?
but you can decide yourself
Well, my decision is that one can't be certain, but this is hardly the approach of many believers.
Example, check contradiction # 7 and 8, you can decide which 1 is correct
Example of what? And how am I supposed to decide which is correct? And what difference does it make what I might decide?
ofcourse you can decide, example I gave, like son can;t be older thn his father, so he will be of 22 yrs to rule
others will be eighteen years, not eight ofcourse.

But anyways, its hard to believe in anyway, as Bible is full of contradictions and errors

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

TrueReligion wrote:
Miles wrote:Example of what? And how am I supposed to decide which is correct? And what difference does it make what I might decide?
ofcourse you can decide, example I gave, like son can;t be older thn his father, so he will be of 22 yrs to rule
But you gave no source for your information about Jehoram, you only made an assertion.

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by TrueReligion »

Miles wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:
Miles wrote:Example of what? And how am I supposed to decide which is correct? And what difference does it make what I might decide?
But you gave no source for your information about Jehoram, you only made an assertion.
Source is required to believe if Jehoram exist, and when he rules, there are 2accounts for his age,and ofcourse both of them can;t ne wrong, so the correct one to find is quite easy. other is wrong.
Many example of these kind of mistakes are there in Bible

Bag-Of-Hammers
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Bag-Of-Hammers »

TrueReligion wrote:Here are some main contradictions in Bible, from these its clearly obvious that its not a word of God, instead writen by some unknown men getting dreams after eating heavy food.

Contradiction No. 6. We read in 2 Samuel 24:13: “So Gad came to David, and told
him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? However we read in 1 Chr. 21:12: “Either three years famine or.... “The contradiction is quite obvious, since the former statement speaks of seven years of famine while the latter statement mentions only three years of famine referring to the same occasion. The commentators of the Bible have admitted that the former statement is erroneous.
Contradiction No. 7. In 2 Kings 8:26 we find this statement: “Two and twenty years
old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. “In contrast with the above statement we read in 2 Chr. 22:2: “Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign... “This contradiction speaks for itself. The latter statement is obviously wrong and the commentators on the Bible have admitted this to be the case. It has to be wrong because the age of Ahaziah’s father, Jehoram, at the time of his death was 40 years and Ahaziah began reigning just after the death of his father as is known from the previous chapter. In this case if we did not negate the latter statement it would mean that the son was two years older than his father.
Contradiction No. 8. In 2 Kings 24:8 it is stated that: “Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign... “This statement is contradicted by 2 Chr. 36:9 which says: “Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign... “The contradiction is more than obvious. The second statement is erroneous as will be shown later in this book. This has been admitted by Bible commentators.
Contradiction No. 9. There is an obvious contradiction between the statements of 2
Samuel 23:8 which state: “These be the names of the mighty men whom David had: The Tachomonite that sat in the seat, chief among the captains; the same was Adino the Eznite; he lift up his spear against eight hundred, whom he slew at one time.� and 1 Chronicle 11:11 which state: “And this is the number of the mighty men whom David had; Hashobeam, and Hachmonite, the chief of the captains; he lifted up his spear against three hundred slain by him at one time.� Both are talking of the mighty men of David. Adam Clarke, making comments on the former statements of 2 Samuel, has quoted Dr Kennicot as saying that the verse in question contains three great distortions. This requires no further comment.
Contradiction No. 10. It is stated in 2 Samuel 5 and 6 that David brought the Ark to
Jerusalem after defeating the Philistines, while chapters 13 and 14 of 1 Chronicles,
44 describing the same event, make David bring the Ark before the defeat of Philistine. One of the two statements must be wrong.
I have read a lot of bogus "contradictions" out there. Most are just misinterpratations. The first 4 books of the NT is based on 1000's of eye witness accounts. THere are only variations of what is reported in the books. Not one contradiction. Muhammad lied about who Jesus is and what happened to him so that the world would worshop him in the place of the one true God. He is the epitome of evil.

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

Bag-Of-Hammers wrote:
The first 4 books of the NT is based on 1000's of eye witness accounts. THere are only variations of what is reported in the books. Not one contradiction. Muhammad lied about who Jesus is and what happened to him so that the world would worshop him in the place of the one true God. He is the epitome of evil.
Jesus' lineage was traced through David's son Solomon. Mt.1:6.
Jesus' lineage was traced through David's son Nathan. Lk.3:31.

The announcement of the special birth came before conception. Lk.1:26-31.
The announcement of the special birth came after conception. Mt.1:18-21.

The devil first took Jesus to the pinnacle, then to the mountain top. Mt.4:5-8.
The devil first took Jesus to the mountain top, then to the pinnacle. Lk.4:5-9.

Jesus cured Simon Peter's mother-in-law after he cleansed the leper. Mt.8:1-15.
Jesus cured Simon Peter's mother-in-law before he cleansed the leper. Mk.1:30-42; Lk.4:38 to 5:13.

The "Sermon on the Mount" took place on the mountain. Mt.5:1.
The "Sermon on the Mount" took place on a plain. Lu.6:17.

Judas threw down the money and left. Mt.27:5.
Judas used the coins to buy the field. Acts 1:18.

TrueReligion
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by TrueReligion »

Bag-Of-Hammers wrote:
TrueReligion wrote:Here are some main contradictions in Bible, from these its clearly obvious that its not a word of God, instead writen by some unknown men getting dreams after eating heavy food.

him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? However we read in 1 Chr. 21:12: “Either three years famine or.... “The contradiction is quite obvious, since the former statement speaks of seven years of famine while the latter statement mentions only three years of famine referring to the same occasion. The commentators of the Bible have admitted that the former statement is erroneous.
Contradiction No. 7. In 2 Kings 8:26 we find this statement: “Two and twenty years
old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. “In contrast with the above statement we read in 2 Chr. 22:2: “Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign... “This contradiction speaks for itself. The latter statement is obviously wrong and the commentators on the Bible have admitted this to be the case. It has to be wrong because the age of Ahaziah’s father, Jehoram, at the time of his death was 40 years and Ahaziah began reigning just after the death of his father as is known from the previous chapter. In this case if we did not negate the latter statement it would mean that the son was two years older than his father.
Contradiction No. 8. In 2 Kings 24:8 it is stated that: “Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign... “This statement is contradicted by 2 Chr. 36:9 which says: “Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign... “The contradiction is more than obvious. The second statement is erroneous as will be shown later in this book. This has been admitted by Bible commentators.
Contradiction No. 9. There is an obvious contradiction between the statements of 2
Samuel 23:8 which state: “These be the names of the mighty men whom David had: The Tachomonite that sat in the seat, chief among the captains; the same was Adino the Eznite; he lift up his spear against eight hundred, whom he slew at one time.� and 1 Chronicle 11:11 which state: “And this is the number of the mighty men whom David had; Hashobeam, and Hachmonite, the chief of the captains; he lifted up his spear against three hundred slain by him at one time.� Both are talking of the mighty men of David. Adam Clarke, making comments on the former statements of 2 Samuel, has quoted Dr Kennicot as saying that the verse in question contains three great distortions. This requires no further comment.
Contradiction No. 10. It is stated in 2 Samuel 5 and 6 that David brought the Ark to
Jerusalem after defeating the Philistines, while chapters 13 and 14 of 1 Chronicles,
44 describing the same event, make David bring the Ark before the defeat of Philistine. One of the two statements must be wrong.
I have read a lot of bogus "contradictions" out there. Most are just misinterpratations. The first 4 books of the NT is based on 1000's of eye witness accounts. THere are only variations of what is reported in the books. Not one contradiction. Muhammad lied about who Jesus is and what happened to him so that the world would worshop him in the place of the one true God. He is the epitome of evil.
You mean the contradiction mentioned here are bogus? what else you call a contradiction?
In Chr. 36:9 which says: “Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign... .Does it seems to you bogus and misinterpretation to you?
We are talking about Bible here, from where did Muhammad come in between?
The contradictions and errors are showed by christians themselves and other non-christian and non-muslims as well.
Also, does the geneology of Jesus seems ok to you? both in Mathew and Luke its totaly different, is it also misinterpretation?:)

For Contradictions and errors in Bible.

http://www.evilbible.com/contradictions.htm

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/m ... _list.html

want more?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by micatala »

Moderator Warning
Bag-Of-Hammers wrote:

I will remind bagofhammers again that simply expressing an opinion is not debate.

In addition, while you are free to have a negative view of or argue against Muhammed or Islam, claiming Muhammed is a liar and evil can be considered nothing more than inflammatory rhetoric, especially when you have done nothing to back up your assertions.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

van
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by van »

Actually there are 194 supposed contradictions in the Holy Bible.
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/bible.htm Or google any Bible contradictions explained.

I have had many so called Bible contradictions pointed out to me over the years. As I have studied to get to the bottom of the so called contradiction it is possible to gain even more insight to the Biblical event.

Why would we have kept the Gospel Matthew, Mark, Luke and John if they truly contradicted each other?

Why not just burn the ones contradicting or that you don't agree with as Uthmann did with the Quran?

That is one thing I see very differently between Islam and Christianity.

Islam- you are not allowed to question anything.
5.101 O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you, Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.
5.102 Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith

Christianity you are encouraged to question everything.
1 Thessalonians 5
20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good.

1 John 4
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

Bag-Of-Hammers
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Bag-Of-Hammers »

van wrote:Actually there are 194 supposed contradictions in the Holy Bible.
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/bible.htm Or google any Bible contradictions explained.

I have had many so called Bible contradictions pointed out to me over the years. As I have studied to get to the bottom of the so called contradiction it is possible to gain even more insight to the Biblical event.

Why would we have kept the Gospel Matthew, Mark, Luke and John if they truly contradicted each other?

Why not just burn the ones contradicting or that you don't agree with as Uthmann did with the Quran?

That is one thing I see very differently between Islam and Christianity.

Islam- you are not allowed to question anything.
5.101 O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you, Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.
5.102 Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith

Christianity you are encouraged to question everything.
1 Thessalonians 5
20do not treat prophecies with contempt. 21Test everything. Hold on to the good.

1 John 4
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
I have looked into a lot of so called "contradictions" in the NT and came out more wiser to it's intent. It can be enlightening to look into it. I have on every occasion found the "contradiction" to be only a misinterpratation, or them taking things out of contex, twisting things. A lot of Muslims actually have a lot at stake when it comes to keeping up the facade. People that depend on the lie to be true. They can't win intellectually so they resort to intimidation and/or trying to shift attention from the blaring attrocities that Islam sanctifies. Their arguments come from a need to lie, instead of a sincere effort at getting to the cold hard truth. A lot of them just can't handle the truth.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Goat »

Bag-Of-Hammers wrote: I have looked into a lot of so called "contradictions" in the NT and came out more wiser to it's intent.
I can well believe your statement.

It can be enlightening to look into it. I have on every occasion found the "contradiction" to be only a misinterpratation, or them taking things out of contex, twisting things.
[/quote]

Can you please visit the Judas thread and show how things are taken out of context or twisting? It will be interesting to see your mind at work.
A lot of Muslims actually have a lot at stake when it comes to keeping up the facade. People that depend on the lie to be true. They can't win intellectually so they resort to intimidation and/or trying to shift attention from the blaring attrocities that Islam sanctifies. Their arguments come from a need to lie, instead of a sincere effort at getting to the cold hard truth. A lot of them just can't handle the truth.
This looks to be highly inflamatory. Perhaps you should tone down the rhetoric.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella