Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

The 20 Most Brilliant Christian Professors

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Just stumbled on this:

The 20 Most Brilliant Christian Professors

Shows that being Christian and being brilliant are not incompatible.

Kendalf
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Kendalf »

Indeed, this is a distinguished list!

I had the privilege of taking my very first class at Talbot under Dr. William Lane Craig. Unfortunately, I was also fresh out of college and didn't have the mental maturity to fully appreciate the depth of knowledge that he was sharing with us. Since then I've heard a number of his lectures and debates, as well as those of others on this list. And I continue to wish that I can find the means to go back to school, now that I can truly appreciate it!
It is at her centre, where her truest children dwell, that each communion is really closest to every other in spirit, if not in doctrine. And this suggests that at the centre of each there is something, or a Someone, who against all divergences of belief, all differences of temperament, all memories of mutual persecution, speaks with the same voice.� C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

WinePusher

Post #3

Post by WinePusher »

Kendalf wrote: I had the privilege of taking my very first class at Talbot under Dr. William Lane Craig. Unfortunately, I was also fresh out of college and didn't have the mental maturity to fully appreciate the depth of knowledge that he was sharing with us. Since then I've heard a number of his lectures and debates, as well as those of others on this list. And I continue to wish that I can find the means to go back to school, now that I can truly appreciate it!
Did you really take a class under Craig! Lucky. I was planning to go to Biola when I got out of high school, but because of superior forces (parents) I ended up at a state university.

I like Craig's insight into Physics and Cosmology and admire his philosophical works, but his debates are very redundent. If you've seen one you've seen them all, I think he reads from a script. I much prefer Dinesh D' Souza.

Kendalf
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kendalf »

It was a philosophy of theology class; way over my head at the time. This is one reason I appreciate his skill as an orator and debater. He can give a perfectly clear, simple, point by point description of the Kalam Cosmological Argument such that even a general audience can understand it, and he can also instantly debate the fine nuances of molinism and recall all the scholarship that has been written on the resurrection of Jesus, all depending on who he is talking to.

And while he does tend to use the same 5 arguments in all his debates on a certain topic (say, the existence of God), what I find fascinating is that none of his opponents have ever been able to take advantage of this and achieve anything close to parity with Craig in a debate. Imagine an NFL coach making public his playbook and using the exact same game strategy all the time, and yet still winning all of his games.

Or perhaps a better analogy is that of a chess Grandmaster who always uses the same set of opening moves in every game. What makes him a master is what he does with his pieces and how he responds to his opponents moves after the opening. And that's what makes Craig's debates interesting to watch for me; I enjoy seeing how he critically analyzes and responds to his opponents arguments, pointing out flaws in their logic and showing where they have not fully addressed the points that he has made.

I've watched a couple of D'Souza's debates with Chris Hitchens and they are indeed entertaining, but I think I've learned more personally about how to debate from watching Craig, probably because I just don't have the rhetorical ability of Dinesh.

Edit: Forgot to add, nothing wrong with public university! In fact, I'm more concerned about those Christians who have spent all their educational lives in Christian schools. At Biola we used to call it the "Biola Bubble," that state of living fully and completely surrounded only by Christians, with a false sense of reality of the world around you.
It is at her centre, where her truest children dwell, that each communion is really closest to every other in spirit, if not in doctrine. And this suggests that at the centre of each there is something, or a Someone, who against all divergences of belief, all differences of temperament, all memories of mutual persecution, speaks with the same voice.� C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Actually, I'm seriously considering enrolling in Biola for their Masters in Science and Religion. Right now, I'm getting my feet wet by taking a certificate class at Biola. And I'll perhaps take the plunge next year.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Craig?
Really?
REALLY??

I'm convinced he's a lightweight and a clown, and he either misunderstands or purposely twists most of the material he's working with. I can't listen to two sentences of the guy without saying to myself, "Pompous poser. Come off it. Gimme a break. What a lightweight." I never knew anybody took him seriously. I've never seen him not lose a debate. To me, he's just a fringe fundy who misuses fancy words to fool the gullible. Notice he's not tenured at any decent non-fundy school.

The others on the list seem good. I think I like McGrath. But really the faculties of any top div school are as good or better. This list strikes me as sorta silly and arbitrary. I don't see the point of it. Is this supposed to be the best we've got?

I recommend checking my tip for debate threads to see some serious Christian thinkers.

Kendalf
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kendalf »

otseng, I highly recommend the MASR program. I was one of the first two graduates from the program when it first started. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Kendalf wrote:otseng, I highly recommend the MASR program. I was one of the first two graduates from the program when it first started. Let me know if you have any questions about it!

Very interesting!

Were you working at the same time you were in the program? One of my concerns is if I'll be able to handle the work load in addition to all the other things I'm already doing.

Did you take classes on campus or by distance?

Kendalf
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Kendalf »

At the time I was working on the MASR program, I was also a part-time physics instructor at Biola and a part-time English ministry intern at a local church (which in a TPC actually means full-time, as you know :roll:). But they have planned the program to accommodate for those who are even working full time, and in fact most people I know who are currently in the program are also working. I know some people who are finishing up after more than 5 years of taking 1 or 2 classes at a time. They have also added the distance learning component (which wasn't available until after I finished) which allows you to complete several classes in a more flexible manner.

One thing that helped make it easier for me was that they waived the required theology classes that are part of the program because I already had an MA from Talbot, so that saved me from having to take (retake) a certain number of classes.

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

I thought one requirement was that the MASR program must be finished within 5 years.