A world without Religion
Moderator: Moderators
A world without Religion
Post #1Imagine the banishment of all religions in humanity, what and where would humanity go from there? Would Corporatism become our new God, could Science truly give us hope and morals? Just a thought, what could happen if tomorrow no religions, no spiritual guidance, no form whatsoever of preaching would be allowed about any subject possible? What would the world be like? (I am completely neutral about this.)
-
Crazy Ivan
- Sage
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm
Post #21
I find this disassociation odd... on the one hand you say you acknowledge the correlation between hormones and human behavior, and on the other you say this is something one might not "care about", implying "caring" or "valuing" aren't "behaviors" themselves. You don't see this as a contradiction?Chaosborders wrote:No, it can also be held by one who simply does not care about the role of hormones in human behavior in regard to assigning a philosophical value of worth to someone. I have long accepted that human behavior largely correlates with their hormones. But so what? In what manner does that give me any motivation to value someone else's life?
Lucia would be more or less dead on. And I would be a very good example.
- ChaosBorders
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 1966
- Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
- Location: Austin
Post #22
No. Perhaps I personally simply have a deficiency of some of these hormones. Or perhaps my cognitive thought patterns are simply such that the emotions generated by most of these hormones are easier for me to ignore than most people. Certainly caring and valuing are behaviors themselves, but in absence of my beliefs I simply do not care or value other people's subjective opinions regarding their own worth. Nor in absence of my beliefs do I have a particularly valid reason to view empathy as a worthwhile emotion if it conflicts with my goals.Crazy Ivan wrote:I find this disassociation odd... on the one hand you say you acknowledge the correlation between hormones and human behavior, and on the other you say this is something one might not "care about", implying "caring" or "valuing" aren't "behaviors" themselves. You don't see this as a contradiction?Chaosborders wrote:No, it can also be held by one who simply does not care about the role of hormones in human behavior in regard to assigning a philosophical value of worth to someone. I have long accepted that human behavior largely correlates with their hormones. But so what? In what manner does that give me any motivation to value someone else's life?
Lucia would be more or less dead on. And I would be a very good example.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
- Goat
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 24999
- Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:09 pm
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 207 times
Post #23
I don't think it is entirely hormonal either. They found in the case of serial killers, there is a correlation with physical dysfunction in the temporal lobes.Crazy Ivan wrote:And it seems to me such belief can only be held if one is ignorant of the role of hormones in human behavior, or if one rejects the body of evidence correlating human behavior with hormonal pathways.Lucia wrote:I don't know if this is the case for Chaosborders, but some people do attribute the worth of humans almost entirely to the fact that an omniscient creature created them. Therefore, if they didn't believe in said god, they'd see no problem in "disposing" of people that bother them, since other's emotions of even lives would have little value in their eyes.Crazy Ivan wrote:I'm challenging the rationality of the belief that "empathy" can originate strictly from "faith", which is inherently indemonstrable, as opposed to belief in a biochemical pathway, for which there is a body of objective evidence.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�
Steven Novella
Steven Novella
-
Crazy Ivan
- Sage
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm
Post #24
Certainly. I trust the expression "biological wiring" covers all the bases in such an intricate matter. This as opposed to the notion that a "belief" has an influence in human behavior by itself, rather than correlated with said "biological wiring".goat wrote:I don't think it is entirely hormonal either. They found in the case of serial killers, there is a correlation with physical dysfunction in the temporal lobes.Crazy Ivan wrote:And it seems to me such belief can only be held if one is ignorant of the role of hormones in human behavior, or if one rejects the body of evidence correlating human behavior with hormonal pathways.Lucia wrote:I don't know if this is the case for Chaosborders, but some people do attribute the worth of humans almost entirely to the fact that an omniscient creature created them. Therefore, if they didn't believe in said god, they'd see no problem in "disposing" of people that bother them, since other's emotions of even lives would have little value in their eyes.Crazy Ivan wrote:I'm challenging the rationality of the belief that "empathy" can originate strictly from "faith", which is inherently indemonstrable, as opposed to belief in a biochemical pathway, for which there is a body of objective evidence.
- ChaosBorders
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 1966
- Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
- Location: Austin
Post #25
A belief 'by itself' is a contradiction in terms given all beliefs can ultimately be traced back in some way to said biological wiring. Perhaps there has been some confusion if you feel I ever suggested otherwise.Crazy Ivan wrote:Certainly. I trust the expression "biological wiring" covers all the bases in such an intricate matter. This as opposed to the notion that a "belief" has an influence in human behavior by itself, rather than correlated with said "biological wiring".goat wrote:I don't think it is entirely hormonal either. They found in the case of serial killers, there is a correlation with physical dysfunction in the temporal lobes.Crazy Ivan wrote:And it seems to me such belief can only be held if one is ignorant of the role of hormones in human behavior, or if one rejects the body of evidence correlating human behavior with hormonal pathways.Lucia wrote:I don't know if this is the case for Chaosborders, but some people do attribute the worth of humans almost entirely to the fact that an omniscient creature created them. Therefore, if they didn't believe in said god, they'd see no problem in "disposing" of people that bother them, since other's emotions of even lives would have little value in their eyes.Crazy Ivan wrote:I'm challenging the rationality of the belief that "empathy" can originate strictly from "faith", which is inherently indemonstrable, as opposed to belief in a biochemical pathway, for which there is a body of objective evidence.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
-
Crazy Ivan
- Sage
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm
Post #26
Aren't you reducing your religious beliefs, and ultimately your belief in "god", to a result of biological wiring? I think it's only natural to assume that, to the believer, there is a transcendental quality to their religious beliefs, a connection to the "divine" of sorts, but definitely not just a result of biological wiring. Upon reflection, how does one truly believe in "god", if said belief is acknowledged to be potentially traceable to biological wiring?Chaosborders wrote:A belief 'by itself' is a contradiction in terms given all beliefs can ultimately be traced back in some way to said biological wiring. Perhaps there has been some confusion if you feel I ever suggested otherwise.
- ChaosBorders
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 1966
- Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
- Location: Austin
Post #27
My belief that I am typing on my computer can also be traced back to biological wiring, but that doesn't mean I'm not doing it.Crazy Ivan wrote:Aren't you reducing your religious beliefs, and ultimately your belief in "god", to a result of biological wiring? I think it's only natural to assume that, to the believer, there is a transcendental quality to their religious beliefs, a connection to the "divine" of sorts, but definitely not just a result of biological wiring. Upon reflection, how does one truly believe in "god", if said belief is acknowledged to be potentially traceable to biological wiring?Chaosborders wrote:A belief 'by itself' is a contradiction in terms given all beliefs can ultimately be traced back in some way to said biological wiring. Perhaps there has been some confusion if you feel I ever suggested otherwise.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
-
Crazy Ivan
- Sage
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm
Post #28
Do you typically consider propositions based on your own actions to be true or false? I would wager we're all in a very good position not to require "belief" in what we personally accomplish... Still, the "problem" here is that while you assert personal belief in "god", you also assert "god" is not required for "belief in god" to take place, which I think makes your belief rather "empty", but that's as unsupported as opinions get. And on a personal note, this exchange shouldn't make you think I don't find you exceptionally reasonable... for a theist.Chaosborders wrote:My belief that I am typing on my computer can also be traced back to biological wiring, but that doesn't mean I'm not doing it.
- ChaosBorders
- Site Supporter
- Posts: 1966
- Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am
- Location: Austin
Post #29
Huh? Could you rephrase. I think my brain might have stopped working ten minutes ago and it isn't entirely clear to me what you're asking here.Crazy Ivan wrote:Do you typically consider propositions based on your own actions to be true or false?Chaosborders wrote:My belief that I am typing on my computer can also be traced back to biological wiring, but that doesn't mean I'm not doing it.
You clearly have no idea the depths of my natural skepticism. It also depends on what is meant by belief. Anything you can label 'knowledge' can also accurately be labeled as belief, by definition.Crazy Ivan wrote: I would wager we're all in a very good position not to require "belief" in what we personally accomplish...
Belief in something and the existence of something are two entirely distinct subjects. Nothing I have a belief exists actually needs to for me to have that belief if my biologically wired senses or cognitive patterns tells me it does. So if my belief in God is 'empty,' so is my belief in anything else.Crazy Ivan wrote: Still, the "problem" here is that while you assert personal belief in "god", you also assert "god" is not required for "belief in god" to take place, which I think makes your belief rather "empty", but that's as unsupported as opinions get.
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein
The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis
-
Crazy Ivan
- Sage
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm
Post #30
A "belief" is how we hold a proposition to be true or false. While accomplishing a thing, or performing an action, how could we ever hold it as "false"?Chaosborders wrote:Huh? Could you rephrase. I think my brain might have stopped working ten minutes ago and it isn't entirely clear to me what you're asking here.
Can't quite put my finger on it... it seems to me there are logical implications here, so I'll start a thread and see if anyone has constructive input. Might be my imagination flaring up again...Chaosborders wrote:Belief in something and the existence of something are two entirely distinct subjects. Nothing I have a belief exists actually needs to for me to have that belief if my biologically wired senses or cognitive patterns tells me it does. So if my belief in God is 'empty,' so is my belief in anything else.
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 755#302755

