What is "god's purpose"?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

What is "god's purpose"?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Several theists have declared that "god has a purpose" for humanity. Exactly what is that purpose and (more important), exactly how is that known to be an accurate assessment of what "god" wants?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

axle12693

Post #2

Post by axle12693 »

To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Immortality and eternal life are two different things.

Immortality is living forever - in other words, conquering physical death.

Eternal life is living forever WITH GOD - conquering spiritual death.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

axle12693 wrote:To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Immortality and eternal life are two different things.

Immortality is living forever - in other words, conquering physical death.

Eternal life is living forever WITH GOD - conquering spiritual death.
You forgot a critical part of the question exactly how is that known to be an accurate assessment of what "god" wants?

So far all you are doing is expressing an opinion and preaching. Let's debate the topic -- starting with evidence to support the four claims made above (which seem like religious platitudes or opinions rather than debate positions).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I wouldn't dream of debating any of it via evidence; there's no way to know or prove it. All we could legimately debate is intra- or inter-christian/jewish/muslim understandings of their own traditions. So it not about what IS God's purpose, rather it's about what do people SAY is God's purpose. And is there a consensus, normative, or coherent view?

I'd say it seems to be creation, expression, fulfillment, sanctity, union. And I'd probably add chocolate and boobs because I am convinced they have cosmic significance. I kid.

But this would be an interpretive debate, not a literal debate. The former interests me, that latter is a freak show.

FWIW, I can't even figure out my cat's purpose half the time, even with gobs of observable data!

Flail

Re: What is "god's purpose"?

Post #5

Post by Flail »

Zzyzx wrote:.
Several theists have declared that "god has a purpose" for humanity. Exactly what is that purpose and (more important), exactly how is that known to be an accurate assessment of what "god" wants?
First we would have to find a 'god'. Thereafter, a logical place to start for determining that particular 'god's' purpose would be to ask.

kayky
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by kayky »

I think it is impossible to know what God's "purpose" is or if even such a purpose exists. Perhaps the physical universe is only one aspect of God exploring God.